Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #17222

Subject: "statistics create a vicious..." This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
shmooz

Fri Mar-16-01 09:14 AM

"statistics create a vicious..."

neverending cycle. people all over the world and especially all over this board use statistics as fact for argument. what other way is there to do it? when arguing about such large groups of diverse individuals, statistics are the only 'fair' way to judge the group. this is where it all begins.

as much as eveyone talks about how they don't judge people, they really do. it's human nature. it's instinct. if you say you don't do it, then you're a liar.

this is where the cyle is established. lets say, for example, it's black males between the ages of 18 and 24 that get pulled over and arrested for marijuana possesion most often (i'm just making this up as an example). now the cops are going to be looking for black males in this age group to pull over. i'm not saying that's all they look for but they're going to be favored (if this is really favoring...) over a white dude in the same age group because of the statistics.

so next year when the reports come out...holy shit! there's a rise in the number of black males ages 18 to 24 being pulled over and arrested for marijuana possesion. better increase awareness!

you see the problem? you see the cycle? so the next year the statistics mimic the previous year's and the cylce never ends.

so basicaly whether it's male vs female or black vs white or cat vs dog, i see the use of statistics as a catalyst of many group related problems. kinda like the hill that keeps the ball rolling.

i say groups can't be judged and analyzed...only individuals. so how do problems get solved? if decisions must me made to satisfy groups of people then when's it ever fair and just...? this is the problem to solve. so how do you solve it?

you don't. that's why the problems never get solved.

that's why i'm frustrated. and from frustration comes anger (feel free to address this too!)

i wrote this post because this is something i think about almost every post that i read here and i wanted to see what everyone else thinks. do you agree? disagree? care?

peace

shmooz

"i wanna be a pioneer so trails i blaze"

"hip hop you're the love of my life"

Printer-friendly copy

statistics create a vicious... [View all] , shmooz, Fri Mar-16-01 09:14 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
not the statistics
Mar 16th 2001
I agree n/m
Mar 16th 2001
RE: not the statistics