Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #17002

Subject: "mmMAMMY?" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
qoolquest
Charter member
10251 posts
Tue Mar-13-01 11:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"mmMAMMY?"

saw this and i wondered how you'd take this. peep.

Mammy, How We Love You
by Yvonne Durant

There I was one morning, in between freelance copywriting assignments. The Today show had just gone off and it was time for Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus, a talk show that deals with the complexity of relationships—basically, who’s getting some and who’s not. Until recently, Cybill Shepherd was the host, along with a panel of experts: a comedian, a doctor and assorted actors who, like me, were in between nothing. I knew Ms. Shepherd’s days were numbered; she never did look comfortable. I always got the feeling she was chanting to herself, “It’s a paycheck, it’s a paycheck.”

Ms. Shepherd has been replaced by Cristina Ferrare, the former model and ex-wife of John DeLorean. Her fellow panelists include a comedian (relationships must be a big joke after all), a doctor, a wiry blonde and a pretty black woman with flowing hair.

The black woman looked familiar. So much so that I initially thought to myself, “Is that …? No. Can’t Be. Well, I’ll be damned! NBC has run out and found its own Star Jones.” Her name is Bo Griffin, a radio talk-show host, and like Ms. Jones, she’s a knockout. A big knockout.

I can imagine the meeting where it all happened ….

First Exec: “This is a good lineup. We have the comedian, the doctor—”

Second Exec: “Yes, that’s great for credibility. And women love Cristina ever since she came out about her loss of libido.”

Third Exec: “Yeah, that was so powerful I think it came back. But we’re missing something. What about an African-American woman? Who’s that gal on ABC?”

First Exec: “Oprah?”

Second Exec: “No-oo, the heavyset, pretty one with all the hair.”

First Exec: “Oh, you mean Star Jones.”

Third Exec: “She’s great—sassy, smart and big. But Star’s busy. Hey, maybe we can find our own.”

Meeting fades, music swells, Al Jolson is shown on one knee, arms outstretched, mouthing “Mammy.”

I wonder about the focus groups. Were the interviewees wired? If so, did the monitoring machine they were hooked up to go haywire and display sharp downturns when the image of a slender black woman came up? Then did it rise at the sight of a heavyset black woman? Did she conjure up warm and loving nanny memories in the interviewees, like the time they rode the bus together and she stood so that her young charge could have the whole seat to herself?

America likes its black women big; it’s the mammy thing. Mammy’s skirts are a part of the fabric of our history to this day. We see it in commercials. The star of a campaign for a pine-scented cleanser is a pretty woman, black with cornrows. She’s large, too. And for 30 seconds, she sasses America into keeping their homes germ-free. The Pine-Sol Lady is definitely the work of some poor numbers cruncher who proved to his colleagues that to reach their target audience, they need a portly black woman. She’ll get the folks disinfecting in no time. Mammy knows best!

Because I’m an advertising copywriter, I’ve sat in on many casting sessions. I remember one for a skin moisturizer; a couple of full-sized white women showed up. It was like, “Is she kidding?” But when a full-sized black woman showed up, there were grins. Acceptance. She didn’t get the part, but it clearly had nothing to do with her weight. No one has a bad thing to say about Mammy.

Black women especially embrace the mammy thing. Black women have a far more positive self-image of their bodies than white women. When I’m with black girlfriends, we don’t talk about our thighs, we like our butts. When you give us a compliment, we take it. We don’t say things like, “You’re kidding, I’m so fat!”

Misses Griffin and Jones probably feel very good about themselves. Unlike their co-hosts, they can enjoy their jobs and not have to worry about gaining weight. No bags of celery and carrot sticks in these girls’ dressing rooms. Star will tell you in a minute that she loves her bacon.

However, the mammy thing bites us on our nice, round butts all the time. A heavy black woman conjures up warmth, safety; she won’t take your man away from you while she’s holding your baby. Star Jones gets to drool over Michael Douglas; Vanessa Williams and Halle Berry get Michael Douglas’ drool all over them. Rhett Butler could tease Mammy about her red slip, but it wouldn’t have been the same if it were Prissy.

I did my own research on mammy worship. I asked one white girlfriend of mine—I thought one white was a fair sampling; 40 million blacks get judged on the behavior of one every day—what she thought about the use of big black women in the media.

“I have to tell you, if I were in the mall and had to leave my children with someone and there were two women nearby, one thin and white, the other heavy and black, I’d leave my kids with the black woman. What’s wrong with that? I’d leave them with a fat white woman, too. I’d choose her over a thin black woman.”

I pointed out to her that she’s thin. Does that make her less of a good mother? After a long moment of silence, she answered, “No, it means I wouldn’t want other people leaving their children with me.” She giggled and signed off, something about picking the kids up. I should add, my dear friend’s home is mammy-free; she actually goes near her children.

She won’t be leaving her kids with me. I’m a small black woman, 107 pounds, certainly not mammy material.

Personally, I have nothing against heavyset black women getting plum jobs on television, and I’m not calling for an end to hiring women built like them. It’s the stereotype that bothers me. Can’t a black woman my size be seen as wise? Can she not impart wisdom, give America a good talking to? Or am I not mammy enough?

Or maybe, in the eyes of whites, I’m not unattractive enough for their comfort. I remember casting little girls for a commercial I’d written. We picked four—three pretty white girls and one pretty black girl. Then the door flung open and a girl bounded into the room. She was black, her hair was a mess and she was righteously funny-looking. Frankly, she looked like a pickaninny. The art director said, “She’s terrific—let’s use her instead of the other one.” The producer looked at me; he knew what I was thinking. Calmly I asked, “Why is it that the white girls get to be pretty, and the one black girl has to be the odd-looking one? Either we go pretty for all or funny-looking for all.” We went for pretty, but not without discussion. If I were not in the room, the funny-looking little one would’ve gotten the gig based on a white person’s point of view of what a little black girl should look like in a mix of white girls.

I’m not in any of those rooms anymore. And I’m certainly not sitting at the table with the big shots at the networks. No, I’m just a writer trying to make a living. And I’m tired. Aren’t you too, Mammy?

"Jazz is heading down because of the task of acquiring the intellect to further it. The refusal to acknowledge the intellect required to produce the music with each generation gets weaker, because you can’t produce people with the intellect required to defend yourself from the attacks of the ignorant." -wynton marsalis

"Hip Hop is heading down because of the task of acquiring the intellect to further it. The refusal to acknowledge the intellect required to produce the music with each generation gets weaker, because you can’t produce people with the intellect required to defend yourself from the attacks of the ignorant." -?uestlove

check the resume

organix-93
(from the ground up)-94
do you want more?!!???!-95
illadelph halflife-96
things fall apart-99
(the legendary)-99
the roots come alive-99
phrenology-2002
the tipping point-2004
(the roots present...) 2004
homegrown: the beginne

Printer-friendly copy

mmMAMMY? [View all] , qoolquest, Tue Mar-13-01 11:17 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Somethin to think about definitely......
yall_jusdonno
Mar 13th 2001
Sounds like a personal issue n/m
Mar 14th 2001
i know i'll...
shmooz
Mar 14th 2001
alright...
shmooz
Mar 14th 2001
      wtf?
shmooz
Mar 14th 2001
RE: mmMAMMY?
Mar 14th 2001
uh
tongue
Mar 21st 2001
outstanding
Mar 14th 2001
RE: outstanding
Mar 14th 2001
WTF
Mar 14th 2001
i concur.....
Mar 14th 2001
RE: WTF
makedax
Mar 17th 2001
mammy=selfless image
audiovisuals
Mar 14th 2001
Mar 14th 2001
a similar phenomenon
Mar 14th 2001
So True
k_ysla
Mar 16th 2001
there's definitely a contradiction there...
Mar 14th 2001
some thoughts
Mar 14th 2001
remember Mother Love? n/m
Mar 14th 2001
motha' love....
shmooz
Mar 14th 2001
      RE: motha' love....
nappyhead earth
Mar 20th 2001
hmph
Mar 14th 2001
but when ophra was skinny..
Mar 14th 2001
but there was just as many blk folk...
Mar 14th 2001
RE: but there was just as many blk folk...
Mar 14th 2001
a friend of mine said once
Mar 14th 2001
one of our many struggles n/m
Isa_Sabur
Mar 14th 2001
RE: The only black
Mar 14th 2001
I always imagined...
Mar 14th 2001
I agree with morpheme
Mar 14th 2001
She's confused
Mar 15th 2001
can't fuk with HollyWierd
Wise_7
Mar 16th 2001
Mar 16th 2001
INTELLITRIGUE
Mar 16th 2001
interesting...but...
bandigit1
Mar 16th 2001
Why? I'll tell you why...
Mar 16th 2001
      RE: Why? I'll tell you why...
Lothar
Mar 16th 2001
      RE: Why? I'll tell you why...
Lothar
Mar 16th 2001
      Very true about the "heat" for sistas....
peacefornow
Mar 17th 2001
           RE: Very true about the "heat" for sistas....Scorpion's reply
Mar 20th 2001
                It's all gravy
peacefornow
Mar 20th 2001
Ehh this is strange
peacefornow
Mar 17th 2001

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #17002 Previous topic | Next topic