Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #16886

Subject: "Justifying the means to an end......" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
nappiness
Charter member
1145 posts
Fri Mar-16-01 12:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Justifying the means to an end......"

last weekend i went to a free fred hampton jr. event here in chicago. one of the brothers was talking about the movement and he told us that as he was coming to the event, he saw the cops pinning down two young Black men. he then began to blame 'the man'/'the system' yadda yadda yadda. as i sat and listened to him talk about the government bringing drugs and guns into our community and how they attacked the black panther party i got this puzzled look on my face. i was looking crazy b/c i have been battling with this issue for a long time.

when are those in the movement gonna stop defending and justifying why some Black folks are killing each other, why some Blacks folks are crackheads, why some Black women are chickenheads, and why the prison industrial complex is growing etc. i am my brothers and sisters keeper but i can't justify those actions that are wrong. it's one thing to know the source and explain the madness but it's another to justify it.

yes, i wanna help and i am an activist but i can't justify wrong doings. i don't have to justify the wrong doings to be against the unjust consequences. yes, there's a lack of equity in the judicial system. but i can't justify junebug selling crack to babies. yes, 'the man' placed the crack in our neighborhoods but we are the ones consuming, even after we have been told that crack kills. (which i know folks that's been strung out forever and they are still alive and kicking, but that ain't the point)

i think that the key message in the movie slam was that yeah the system is fucked up, but it is also on you not to fall prey to the madness. it is one thing if you are a Black person walking down the street minding your own business or b/c of mistaken identity that you catch a beat down from the po-po's; but if you get caught up on weed possession and you are bitching b/c cocaine possession is less time then though i will fight to change the sentencing if it is more than that of white folks but, i can't justify your actions. wtf, negro you were doing wrong yourself, so though you have the right to bitch about the consequences and that white folks get less time yadda yadda yadda, you knew the consequences when you put yourself in that predicament. once again i am against the lack of equity in the judicial system but there should be a judicial system.

and this bullshit about we are only doing what we have seen white folks do in this capilist society and that the biggest drug lord, pimp, and criminal is corporate america irritates me. yes, all of that is true but once again, don't justify yo wrong actions by acknowledging someone else's wrong doing but not your own.

my statements don't mean that i don't blame the system, i do, but it is also important for us to acknowledge our role in the madness.

i just needed to vent.
--------sig-----------
Monthly BOOK DISCUSSION in OkayActivist
March 12th pages 1-162
March 26th pages 162-328
Conintelpro Papers by Ward Churchil and Jim Vander Wall

April 24th
The Haunting of HipHop: a novel by Bertice Berry
GET YO READ ON .........
------------
If U WANNA ACTIVATE, contact ChicagoActivist
Email us: chicagoactivist@africana.com
Check out the website:
http://chicagoactivist.cjb.net/
Call us: 1-312-777-4001 ext 4409
NEXT MEETING TBA
~~~~~~~~~
nappiness is next to Godliness!!!!!!
Ms. Nappiness
----------
http://www.geocities.com/okay_poets/begin.html

---------------
Veronica-Precious
'Moon'

Check out my publishing company
UnSilenced Woman Press
www.unsilencedwomanpress.com

AquaMoon
Aqua Beats and Moon Verses: Volume I
http://www.spokenexistence.com/aqua_moon.html

Printer-friendly copy

Justifying the means to an end...... [View all] , nappiness, Fri Mar-16-01 12:23 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Justifying the means to an end......
Ray Smegma
Mar 16th 2001
Mar 19th 2001
Mar 16th 2001
Mar 22nd 2001
yinka
Mar 17th 2001
Mar 19th 2001
yinka
Mar 19th 2001
           I ain't offended, bruh......
Mar 19th 2001
                RE: I ain't offended, bruh......
yinka
Mar 19th 2001
                     RE: I ain't offended, bruh......
Mar 21st 2001
props for a very honest post
Mar 18th 2001
Mar 18th 2001
where you been? *smile* n/m
Mar 19th 2001
Some folks are just foul
Mar 19th 2001
RE: Some folks are just foul
liberation
Mar 22nd 2001
some thoughts
Mar 19th 2001

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #16886 Previous topic | Next topic