Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #16837

Subject: "Liberal Hypocrisy and David Horowitz" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Expertise
Charter member
37848 posts
Mon Mar-12-01 12:15 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Liberal Hypocrisy and David Horowitz"

I was gonna let this slide...but no longer...

Liberal activist turned conservative author David Horowitz sent 24 colleges an advertisement to run in their respective student newspapers. It was entitled "Ten Reasons Why Reperations for Slavery is a Bad Idea -- And Racist Too". He also put checks along with each package to cover the ad space price.

Out of that 24, only 4 published the ad so far. Out of the 4, 3 ran the ad but apologized afterwards after complaints from the student body. 9 college papers rejected the ad outright, including one that didn't run the ad, but felt it necessary to attack it anyways without showing readers the ad. 11 have not responded nor printed the ad. Only one school - the University of Wisconsin - had the guts to run the ad and stick to it, and even criticized another school (UC-Berkeley....we'll get to that inna second) for showing cowardice in bowing down to bullies....

It's funny tho....you see alot of these schools had problems in showing the ad, most claiming that Horowitz's ad was too dangerous and offensive. However, most didn't have a problem allowing communist proporganda onto their paper in the 60's and 70's, nor did 4 of the schools that rejected the ad - Northwestern, University of Pennsylvania, University of Washington, and Notre Dame - have any problems running ads that the Holocaust never happened, according to the Anti-Defamation League.

Back to Wisconsin....150 protesters, once reading the ad, stormed to the newpaper's office, calling it a "racist proporganda machine". Police told the journalists to lock the doors to protect themselves from the mob. They still after that, had the guts to refuse to apologize. However, now there is an effort on that campus to squash freedom of speech. Opponents are trying to pass a bill in the student government that bars activities or literature on campus that is considered offensive and tempting to incite a riot. Not to mention multicultural organizations are trying to ban the newspaper from campus as well.

However, at the University of California-Berkeley, after they ran the ad, protesters stormed and succeeded in trashing that newspaper's office, then leaving to go and throw away copies that edition. Unlike the Wisconsin Badger Herald, the editors at Berkeley's newspaper, the Daily Californian, groveled under pressure. "I think the ad is inflammatory and inappropriate
and we should not have run it. This is a disaster," the Daily Cal editor said. The paper issued a formal apology for allowing itself to become "an inadvertent vehicle for bigotry." However that wasn't enough for the opponents (oppressors). They forced the editor to publish 10 columns rebutting and condemning the Horowitz ad and then had someone from their group review the ad "for offensive racial content". They then gave the ad money Howowitz gave them ($1,200) to various black groups on campus. Even the San Francisco News and Review, considered a liberal newspaper, said, "both young editors rolled over like trained dogs ... running apologies in the face of public pressure."

It's not the first time this has happened at Berkeley before. Last week they had an affirmative action rally where there were reports of racial violence got out of hand much like the Mardi Gras riots in Seattle and Philly. And Dan Flynn, author of "Cop Killer: How Mumia Abu-Jamal Conned Millions Into Believing He Was Framed", was interrupted by protesters, whom had stolen the banner announcing his lecture, ripped up flyers and scribbled on chalkings announcing the event. During the lecture, they chanted "white racist motherfucker" "Nazi" and other obscenities. One even got up and wrote on the chalkboard behind Flynn "www.kkk.com". Police were at the scene, but they did nothing. All this happened at the place that was considered the home of the "Free Speech Movement".

Me personally? I'm against reparations, but I'm not for Horowitz's viewpoints. One of my pet peeves is when people stand for the right views for the wrong reasons. However, what is going on at Berkeley, Wisconsin, and other schools is nothing but fascism, an attempt to censor a differing opinion while spreading your own proporganda. If this is the generation that is about to take over, and the editors at Berkeley are the kind of journalists that are about to take over mainstream media outlets, then we are all doomed. Freedom of Speech must be protected at all costs, no matter what side you're on or how offensive it is.

Printer-friendly copy

Liberal Hypocrisy and David Horowitz [View all] , Expertise, Mon Mar-12-01 12:15 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
If you need links....
Mar 12th 2001
hey
Mar 12th 2001
bull
Mar 12th 2001
      I agree
Mar 12th 2001
RE: Liberal Hypocrisy and David Horowitz
Mar 12th 2001
Im against reperations
Mar 12th 2001
they didn't have to do that.
Mar 16th 2001
RE: Im against reperations
Mar 20th 2001
That's Berkeley for you.
Mar 12th 2001
RE: That's Berkeley for you.
Mar 13th 2001
fascinating debate
Mar 13th 2001
your against reparations?
Mar 13th 2001
RE: your against reparations?
Mar 13th 2001
well lets rock then....
Mar 13th 2001
      I agree with you ((((miracle))))
Mar 13th 2001
      Holy shit Me Too! ((almost))
Mar 13th 2001
      lets do it
Mar 15th 2001
           FDR's problem solving skills weren't always constitutional....
Mar 15th 2001
                but he DID something
Mar 15th 2001
                RE: but he DID something
Mar 20th 2001
                on the two issues
Mar 20th 2001
Step by Step
Mar 13th 2001
(((miracles can happen)))
Mar 15th 2001
      RE: (((miracles can happen)))