Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #15482

Subject: "Elitism and The Talented Tenth" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Expertise
Charter member
37848 posts
Sun Apr-29-01 01:06 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Elitism and The Talented Tenth"

This is a spinoff from the "Howard Teaching Separatism" thread, not to mention I have been comtemplating writing about this for a while now. Warning, this might be more of a rant than an initial post looking for ideas.

If some of you dont know, because I did take this off my sig, I am a Libertarian. I support Libertarian ideals probably for the same reason most of you support the ones you support - I feel it will help alot more people realize and attain their highest potential, particularly within the black community. I dont support lower taxes because I'm selfish, nor do I support tax cuts for the rich because I'm rich myself (because I sure as hell ain't), or because some of yall think I'm white or an assimilationist.

To understand me is to partially look at my background. I was born and raised in rural North Carolina. I dont consider my family as being broke, yet I didn't get everything I wanted or thought I needed (then again, what kid did? *shrugs*). However, I learned two things real quick, 1. Everyone is not going to be there to help you everytime you need it, and 2. If you want something done right the first time, chances are better if you do it yourself. Even if you do fail at it, which you most surely will at some point in your life, then you have noone to blame but you, and you dont have to ponder "what if?". In other words, I grew up respecting and cherishing independence and freedom, and doing for self. There is no substitute for acquiring knowledge that allows you to reach your highest potential to get the things you want most out of life.

So you see, although it wouldn't solve all our problems within the black community, I believe that idea would help alot of them in today's society. And I can't stand the idea known as elitism.

But there hasn't been the idea for all of the black community, and we are now seeing groups and what not form within the community that threatens to divide by social structure from within just like it does for the rest of society within the US. The Howard thread is just one small example in which I feel (I repeat, I FEEL....hence dont waste time trying to dispute it, at least on this thread.) elitism, which I think started with W.E.B. DuBois's idea of the "Talented Tenth", has strong roots within the black community.

For those of you who dont know of the "Talented Tenth", it was essentially the idea that only 10% of black people had the capability and knowledge to lead and be successful within this society, and that their leadership and success would uplift the rest of the black community. DuBois's idea was that the efforts on civil rights and equality should be focused on them, and from them they shall lead us to the promised land.

There have been many examples of this, whether you're talking about light skinned vs. dark skin, intellectual prowess, what kind of neighborhood you came from, what did your family do, etc. Now of course I'm not saying it's wrong to simply distinguish between yourself and another; that is simply human nature. I simply feel there is a way you go about that however. For example, you can criticize someone for how they act or behave, yet if you're not willing to help them to correct a mistake, or at least lead by example, feeling it is "beneath you" to consort with "those types of people" or to do certain things to help people or even help yourself, then I think that qualifies as an elitist attitude.

You see, I consider myself pretty well informed and intelligent, but I do have some of that "countriness" in me. I have worked in tobacco fields, I have done various types of yard work (still do), I have worked in cucumber boxing plants, corn factories, etc. In other words, I'm not afraid of getting dirty and sweating a little if I have to, and I'm a t-shirt and jeans guy, not flashy. I realize the only difference between me and alot of people is not necessarily that I'm smart, because I feel anyone can attain knowledge if they really want to (short of mental disabilities of course), but because I tend to be optimistic, persistent (aka stubborn), and ambitious about my life. I think the contrary of that is something that needs to be worked upon within the black community.

But I think the "Tenth", by doing miniminal to nothing to help improve the quality of life for the rest of the ones not as ambitious or on their level, indirectly hurt the progress of blacks as a whole. As one Player said on another thread (I forgot who), they are the ones that as soon as they get their fortune and success they leave the neighborhood, and only contribute a bare mininum back at the most just so they can't be deemed sellouts. The ones that do stay only do so because the neighborhood is cheap, and it makes their business/schools stand out from everything else. Don't believe me? Come to Atlanta's West End. Morehouse, Spelman, and Clark Atlanta are all surrounded by tired neighborhoods. Same way with NC A&T in Greensboro. Instead of trying to fix the neighborhoods internally, without allowing these residents to be bought out of their homes by real estate predators looking for cheap land, they allow them to sit there and rot.

Even within a national scheme of things there are many indicators of elitism. Studies on affirmative action programs show that a huge percentage of the programs mostly benefit middle and upper class blacks, not low income blacks. In many cities political power is focused within a good ole boy network of blacks. In fact, the last mayoral race in Atlanta featured two black politicans that were virtually competing against one another based on who was the "blackest". The incumbent, Bill Campbell, won. (Might come down to that same thing in this one.) I personally feel that in order to achieve empowerment within the community, these things have to be broken down and restructured with equal opportunities for all (but NOT through government assistance).

And with that, I ask...

Do you feel there is a problem with elitism within the black community?

Do you think it can be pointed back to the Talented Tenth theory and do you believe in it?

And here's the kicker: Do you think your personal beliefs about what needs to be done to uplift black people runs together or in contrast with elitism. Why or why not.

And believe me, I will be watching....and ready to give a response

Printer-friendly copy

Elitism and The Talented Tenth [View all] , Expertise, Sun Apr-29-01 01:06 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
My Thoughts
Apr 29th 2001
you, my friend, are a snob.
May 02nd 2001
      RE: you, my friend, are a snob.
May 02nd 2001
      elaborate on what?
May 03rd 2001