Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #13733

Subject: "Books" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Nettrice
Charter member
61747 posts
Wed Jun-13-01 05:00 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "Books"
In response to In response to 5

Sounds like you are doing okay by yourself, reading books that definately deal with the Black experience in America. You may want to recommend some of them to your teacher (respectfully) or point out a few issues and use quotes from the books, i.e. the lesson Malcolm learned in prison about the definition of the words black and white.

Some other books:

Civilization or Barbarism by Cheikh Anta Diop
The Destruction of Black Civilization by Chancellor Williams

There's a great book called "Ethnicity: Theory and Experience" by Nathan Glazer and Daniel Moynihan. In this book, the writers explore the origins of "black" as it relates to race. To call oneself Black rather than Negro was a way to defy the white supremacist system (1960s). Calling oneself Black distinguishes us from the white or dominant group/society. Thus, "Black is beautiful" and "I'm Black and I'm proud" became popular phrases in the 60's and 70's. Rather than run away from negative connotations of the word black, Black people transcended the traditonal definitions and created a new one based on ethnicity. We chose to deny the relevance of white ancestry or history by embracing "black".

The book also looks at how Black people were perceived as animals:

"The designation of Negroes or blacks as an ethinic group through a symbol designating color tage which has made it possible or easier to attribute biologically hereditary characteristics to the group. I think particularly of the allegations, which have been especially prominent in Southern racist ideology, to the effect that blacks are either like children or like animals."

My opinion is that people have issues. They have false perceptions based on their social status in this society and this status is often based on race or ethnicity. By relating Black people to black sheep, in this instance, people are dancing the same old waltz that kept us slaves and white folks masters. It's time to let it go. It's over!

"Know thyself"

"Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, "I will never leave you or forsake you". So we may boldly say, "The Lord is my helper, I will not fear. What can man do to me?"
-- Hebrews 13:5,6

"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path"
--Morpheus in "The Matrix"

"It's our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities"- Dumbledore to Harry Potter "Chamber of Secrets"

<--- Blame this lady for Nutty.

Printer-friendly copy

"Black Sheep..." [View all] , verse_a_style, Mon Jun-11-01 10:43 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: "Black Sheep..."
Jun 11th 2001
Jun 11th 2001
Jun 12th 2001
Jun 11th 2001