Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #13733

Subject: ""Black Sheep..."" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
verse_a_style
Charter member
292 posts
Mon Jun-11-01 10:43 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
""Black Sheep...""

Is it a racist term? Because today in English class my teacher was talking about the biblical origin of the term "black sheep" and defined as someone who goes against what everybody else is doing, and usually it is wrong.

She then proceeded to say that "people of color" are often offended by this term because it says that they are doing something wrong and going astray.

First I thought about the group Black Sheep and wondered if they would use the term for their name even if it was somewhat derogatory, or if it didn't exist and they just used it to describe their unique-ness.

I don't think my teacher is a credible source for defining what is racist or not (a few minutes before she said that great leaders are often contradictory and say things you don't agree with at all, but her only examples were MLK and X) and the term could just be a liberal manifestation.

Or maybe Black Sheep didn't care about the name (which I find quite unlikely considering they were brought up in the conscious native tongues click).

Anyways, I'd like to have some information for a rebuttal to my teacher and to be educated about the term in general, as well.

Be Out (c) Mr. Lif

A conversation between two girls in my science class about the definitions of hip hop and rap...

Girl 1: Rap is like just talking.

Girl 2: Yeah! It’s like telling stories and stuff. So what’s hip hop?

Girl 1: Hip hop is like those crazy people from the south like mystikal who yell “GET ON THA FLO” and “SHAKE IT FAST WATCH YO SELF”. Those guys are scary. It’s like jeez why are they so mad?

Girl 2: Yeah I know.

In discman: Illmatic

Printer-friendly copy

"Black Sheep..." [View all] , verse_a_style, Mon Jun-11-01 10:43 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: "Black Sheep..."
Jun 11th 2001
Jun 11th 2001
Jun 12th 2001