Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #11955

Subject: "All-white groups to better society?" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Bohemian_Bomb
Charter member
2410 posts
Mon Aug-06-01 03:02 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"All-white groups to better society?"

I'm going to start with the real inspiration for this post:

"The first thing I tell them is that at least where my own particular Black Nationalist organization, the Organization of Afro-American Unity, is converned, the can't join us. I have these very deep feelings that white people who want to join black organizations are really just taking the escapist way to salve their consciences. By visibly hovering near us, they are "proving" that they are "with us." But the hard truth is this isn't helping to solve America's racist problem. The Negroes aren't the racists. Where the really sincere white people have got to do their "proving" of themselves is not among the black victims, but out on the battle lines of where America's racism really is - and that's in their own home communities; America's racism is among their own fellow whites. That's where sincere whites who really mean to accomplish something have got to work....
"I tell sincere white people, 'Work in conjunction with us- each of us working among our own kind.' Let sincere white individuals find all other white people they can who feel as they do - and let them form their own all-white groups, to work trying to convert other white people who are thinking and acting so racist. Let sincere whites go and teach non-violence to white people!"
-The Autobiography of Malcolm X

My name is Kenny, I'm 18, white, attending SFSU next year, and have been hovering around these boards taking in everything for the past year. To be honest, I'm suffering from two things, one of which is the ever infamous "white man's guilt" and the other (I dunno if it has ever been given a formal name) that I call "white apprehension", which simply encompasses a feeling of helplessness that I'm grouped among a culture of people so hypocritical and historically cruel, yet redeeming ourselves is nearly impossible.

The question I pose is this: What can we really do?

Malcolm X said that whites need to form all-white groups in order to improve themselves and their collective communities in order to better society for everyone.

I want to find out how everyone thinks these groups should or could function in order to better society. I'm not talking idealistically, but realistically. Meeting agendas, etc.

My thought was a 3 - piece process:
1. Destroy "white psyche."
-Alert them of historical and current racist occurances, white priviledge, etc. to the point where they are ashamed to be white.
2. Rebuild confidence in their race.
-(the hard part) Find a way to make them feel confident that they can be good and make a difference, what they can do, etc.
3. Teach understanding and colorblindness on an everyday level.
- I think we would have to have other all black or all Latino groups work cohesively in order to produce some sort of effect on the third part. Truthfully, this is that part I am totally lost on how to do.

Someone help me out here. I need some of your thoughts on if this is even potentially helpful and what can realistically be done. Looking forward to constructive responses.

Apologies if this topic has been addressed before.

PeaceLoveUnderstandingCompassion,

Bohemian_Bomb
AIM: theedge413

"You're only afraid to die if you ain't livin right" - Talib Kweli

Printer-friendly copy

All-white groups to better society? [View all] , Bohemian_Bomb, Mon Aug-06-01 03:02 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: All-white groups to better society?
Aug 06th 2001
RE: society needs to be under western thinking?
Euroculture
Aug 06th 2001
Challenging Racism
Aug 06th 2001
Do you live in Boston?
Aug 07th 2001
RE: Challenging Racism
Aug 07th 2001
      RE: Challenging Racism
Aug 07th 2001
RE:....................
Euroculture