Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Freestyle Board Freestyle Board Archives topic #2655

Subject: "Too Positive?" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
PhotoSynthesis
Charter member
16101 posts
Sun Nov-09-03 10:51 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Too Positive?"
Sun Nov-09-03 10:52 AM

Okay -- This post has to do with the "Percieved Condition" of the OKP Freestyle Board -- ~Currently~ -- By some veteran heads who were used to more critical responses in the commenting (or critiquing) of flows displayed on this board.

Based on INBOX'D messages that I've received -- As well as threads I've read over a period of time --It seems that some folks feel this board is WAAAYYYYYY too Positive! (Which is supposedly one of the reasons why old heads no longer frequent this site -- Or else they lurk but don't bother to respond to anyone)

I'm speaking for MYSELF -- Personally -- Because I've been accused of being *Too Positive* on many occasions -- So I'd like to comment on my justification for my positivity -- As well as see how others feel about POSITIVITY on the OKP Freestyle Board -- Going 4~Ward.

First of all -- There's enough "Negativity" -- (((OUTSIDE))) the intenet lately -- With Wars and rumours of wars, Abuse of every kind -- (mental, physical, emotional, child abuse, drug abuse, self inflicted abuse, suicide, etc.) -- prejudice, unemployment (job lay~offs) -- etc., etc. -- You name it! -- If you can't see a silver lining, or see the glass half full instead of half empty in this world, then you might as well take ya PROZAC -- (Or drug of choice) -- And chill out under a rock somewhere!

The opposite of Positive IS Negative -- right? -- So if there's too much positivity on this board, then I guess there needs to be more NEGATIVITY, huh? -- *Hmmmm* -- Well, I've been in the mixxx with Negativity on this board before, and I'm not proud of it either -- (Wrestling back & forth over ignorance and shit that really don't matter in the grand scheme of life) -- And if at all possible, I don't EVER intend to go back there again! But the fact is, as far as poetry is concerned -- I'M NOT AN EXPERT -- (And I don't claim to be) -- I have no Degrees in Literature or certified certificates of prolific poetic expertise. If "YOU" do; however, -- Then I suggest that "YOU" use "YOUR" astute & prolific expertise to elevate this board instead of criticizing it, nahmean? -- Or don't "YOU" have the time? -- "YOU" have time to criticize don'tcha? -- *HuH?*

It's true, some folks don't *know* how to receive constructive critiquing -- So out of ignorance, they may take a response personally and lash out, or try to justify "why" they wrote the way the did, in their own defense -- But I feel if you're critiquing OUT OF LOVE and "WITH" LOVE -- And you explain your purpose -- Heads on this board would "receive" that LOVE with appreciation & gratitude.

Bear in mind, you just don't come at ppl sounding like you're ATTACKING their work -- (Or attacking THEM) -- You come at them like a gentle storm -- Blowing away unnecessary debris & ultimately cleaning out closets of clutter.

The most critiquing I've done is basically suggesting a dictionary or thesaurus to help with the polished skillfulness of a flow -- But if I felt like the flow was just rambling or not saying anything, I might ask: "What are you tryna say here dude? -- (Or Ms. Lady)" -- Could you break it down for me? -- Cuz I don't get it! But I don't get into ripping apart and dissecting flows cuz THAT just ain't my thang. I'm more prone to tell you how I felt AFTER reading your ish -- If I felt it was fluid or sincere, yadda yadda yadda.

I also don't get into forms & formats -- Cuz there are too many hybrids "Out There" -- And folks can do just about anything they want to with Poetry now~a~days to create a new and beautiful thing -- So I'm not stringent enough to DEMAND that certain formats be followed to the "T" -- (Or else you ain't doing it right) -- Cuz if you're at least TRYING -- Then that's good enough for me! -- ;^)

Of the people on this board -- (Unless they share with you regularly): You don't *know* -- Whoze had a bad day @ work -- Who just got fired from their job -- Who has to file for bankruptcy -- Who's homeless & out on the street with little or no support from family or friends -- (sittin' in the library on the computer) -- Who's in the process of a divorce -- Who just got date raped! -- Who lost a child thru miscarriage or abortion -- Who's considering suicide or killing someone else -- Who's having problems @ home (Of ANY kind) -- YOU JUST DON'T KNOW!!

So why should this board be a place of NEGATIVITY -- (The Opposite of POSITIVITY)

Folks SHOULD be able to come here and vent -- create -- practice -- shine -- share -- love -- care -- ~AND~ -- If they ASK for it -- Receive the critiquing that some of YOU feel so empowered to give!

Like I've said before -- Everybody on this board ain't here tryna win the Pulitzer Prize -- Ain't tryna publish a book -- & ain't tryna win a Poetry Contest or Slam -- So the expectations of everybody shouldn't be the same -- And for those who're not doing these things -- They shouldn't be looked DOWN upon because they come here to play and relax!

If "YOU" have the certified skills & expertise to CRITIQUE poets on this board -- THEN DO SO! -- But do so with LOVE so that heads can improve & grow-- DO SO because "YOU" *know* what you're talking about -- But without a doubt -- DO SO because you have a gift for doing so! -- Don't just do it to "play" THE DEVILS ADVOCATE!

I'm sick & tired of certain folks on the board acting like this "NEW BREED" /"New Jack" of writers are so inferior and out of touch with so~called "REAL" Poetry -- Compared to the OKP heads of back in the day (from 99' -- 2000 -- 2001 -- 2002) -- So "YOU" sit back, snort, laugh & criticize the newer heads.

If you've got a contribution to give to this board -- In the way of critiquing -- In the way of writing poetry -- IN ANY DAMN WAY -- Then please be a part of the solution AND NOT A PART OF THE PROBLEM!

It shouldn't be -- THE OLD HEADS "AGAINST" THE NEW HEADS -- With those in the middle not knowing where the hell to go?!?!? -- *chuckles*

Quit lurking & smirking -- Lend a hand -- Lend a heart -- Lend a thought -- An get this board working -- in the direction of U~N~I~T~Y!

(((Come Together))) -- (((Work Together)))

Opinions? -- Comments? -- Retorts?

A guitar string vibrating, a measure of my soul, a breech in the silence --
I've always felt like words come through me & I write them down... they have no master --- gsquared ♥

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/2/photosynthesis_music.htm

Printer-friendly copy

Too Positive? [View all] , PhotoSynthesis, Sun Nov-09-03 10:51 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
COSIGN
Nov 09th 2003
Thanks Sweetie --
Nov 09th 2003
      RE: Thanks Sweetie --
Nov 09th 2003
RE: Too Positive?
Nov 09th 2003
Nov 09th 2003
Nov 09th 2003
Nov 09th 2003
nawwww never too positive
Nov 09th 2003
Nov 09th 2003
I came to this board with no real expectations...
Nov 09th 2003
*LoL* @ Nowachaoticthing --
Nov 09th 2003
RE: I came to this board with no real expectations...
Nov 09th 2003
OKLets KeeP it Real: Positive Love
Nov 09th 2003
I Couldn't Agree With U More --
Nov 09th 2003
CoSign
Nov 10th 2003
y'know...
Nov 10th 2003
RE: y'know...
Nov 26th 2003
Nov 10th 2003
Nov 10th 2003
Name names....
Nov 10th 2003
Glad this post is here
Nov 10th 2003
dang dood how long you been here?
Nov 12th 2003
Nov 10th 2003
..it's true...
Nov 10th 2003
Uhhhhmmmm..... well yeah
Nov 10th 2003
Okie Dokie --
Nov 10th 2003
lol what happened?
Nov 12th 2003
Nov 10th 2003
You're Doing Great Insightful --
Nov 10th 2003
U Strait
Nov 10th 2003
Folks SHOULD be able to come here and vent -- create --
Nov 10th 2003
Nov 11th 2003
Smothered In Positivity -- *chuckles*
Nov 11th 2003
      RE: Smothered In Positivity -- *chuckles*
Nov 13th 2003
           My Apologies "Your Lightness" --
Nov 13th 2003
                RE: My Apologies
Nov 15th 2003
well said..u know what I if I dont understand what Im
Nov 11th 2003
Nov 11th 2003
positive is a forked tongue creature
Nov 11th 2003
The Question Is --
Nov 11th 2003
RE: The Question Is --
Nov 11th 2003
      Indeed --
Nov 11th 2003
           RE: Indeed --
Nov 11th 2003
Hey!
Nov 11th 2003
RE: Hey!
Nov 11th 2003
RE: Hey!
Nov 11th 2003
      seen better days but....
Nov 12th 2003
exactly nm
Nov 15th 2003
Nov 11th 2003
put it like this photizzle..
Nov 12th 2003
Where?
Nov 12th 2003
* *) S* * What You Started Photo ^Ups^
Nov 12th 2003
Here!
Nov 13th 2003
      (((OUTSIDE))) the intenet lately --
Nov 13th 2003
CoSizzle....
Nov 13th 2003
DROPPED DIME
Nov 20th 2003
positive, negative...
Nov 24th 2003
RE: positive, negative...
Nov 25th 2003
      ADDENDUM --
Nov 25th 2003
      like biggie said...
Nov 25th 2003
           I Got A Story 2 Tell Too --
Nov 26th 2003
                RE: I Got A Story 2 Tell Too --
Nov 26th 2003
archive.
Nov 27th 2003
Ms. Del -- Or Mr. *Know*
Dec 01st 2003

Lobby Freestyle Board Freestyle Board Archives topic #2655 Previous topic | Next topic