Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Freestyle Board Freestyle Board Archives topic #14581

Subject: "YUKON MAGAZINE.XIV" Previous topic | Next topic
blak_yukon
Charter member
3901 posts
Sun May-01-05 02:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"YUKON MAGAZINE.XIV"
Sun May-01-05 03:00 PM by blak_yukon

Ya’know…it’s funny how just two months ago I lobbied the need for a name change around here. Since than there have been battles (and attempts at battles) popping up sporadically. It’s like a car accident though…it gets ugly and yet we all want to slow down and watch it as it unfolds. So with the resurgence of the battle scene I figure who better to chop it up with than the “new-vet” MiracleRic. Much like Bartek, Ric came into his own through the boards. Representing the new breed of rapper where laptops and Soundclick pages have replaced the notebook and cipher on any given block to a degree. This thundercat is an admitted shit-talker who’s in transition from being a “netcee”, to becoming a great songwriter. Let’s see what dude has to say.

YM. What’s good?

What's Really Good? Not Much, stuck in writer's block's clutch, losing my hot touch, to a cold stroke, losing focus like old folks, I hold hopes and faith, I mold dope and grace, my mojo potion is hustled at a slow motion pace, and then its packed in vials, fuck it, lets collab an call it blak and mild!

YM. Up until recently you were the reigning King O’The Ring, right? Gifted writer a lot of people respect around here on top of that. Do you think from that you might have influence over some people? Case in point last month’s tournament; there seemed to be some swaying of a vote on your part. A draw came about till one person started to voted one way and you “offered” your opinion as to why they should vote for another. Talk a little about that.

I remember the incident. I was really surprised that the person changed there vote. I guess I am somewhat respected by the battlers/MC's of the board I'm very vocal about my opinions and usually pretty neutral but if I disagree with a vote i'm vocal about it. I'm known to complain about the weakness of my own verse to folks. Zin and Frak like to mess with me and say I be pollyin' votes and I guess sometimes my opinions do influence folks so I guess it’s somewhat true. It doesn’t bother me because i’m usually vocal with the intent not to influence but to understand why someone thought this or that verse was hotter than the next and sometimes to show people what they’re missing from a verse.

YM. I’ve watched you for years and battling stands out as your forte, am I wrong in that assumption? Your wordplay is real intricate…it’s like you have a gang of books close by for some ill references. I take it being an emcee is more than just posting verses on the internet for you, yes?

I’m not sure if I would say battling is my forte but it's definitely a strong point. As an MC/writer my talents lie mostly in wordplay/clever ish, imagery/vibe and flow. As far as the references...it's weird, I used to think I was good at that but I’ve fallen off. It takes a lot of input of inspiration for me to get going nowadays. As a battler I think ima lil lax with the punchlines. I like the raw feel they can add to a verse and how a good punchline can appeal to anyone. As an overall MC, I still see myself as a netcee. I'm hard on myself, so until I improve things like my mic presence, cadences, focus and consistency I’m still just an aspiring MC. Don’t be mistaken, I’m grinding, in fact me and frak are gonna try and pump mixtapes out this summer on the beatjack tip. There are some other okp's I’m tryin' to work with...u,zin,aus,frak and I got ish to connect with...I wanna get at some bartek beats, and its a few lessonheads I had my eye on for a while for beats. So, things are looking up but i’m gonna stay hungry for a while.

YM. When did you decide hey…I want to be an emcee, than realize hey…I AM an emcee? You’re actually becoming a double threat in that you make your own beats as well, right? With all that how’s the transition from just writing to actually recording going?

I’m not sure of the exact moment when I just decided, "I'm gonna be an MC" but this board has had a huge influence on that choice. I started out with poetry/spoken word writing and posting. PSALM was the beginning of the rhymes for me and it just blew up from there and battling just called to me. I see myself as the playful yet philosophical, storytellin' yet shit-talkin' everyday type of MC. I wanna spit love-songs, I wanna spit street soundtracks, I wanna spit chill music and bangers, I wanna spit stories and concepts but I still consider myself a writer first and an MC second and i’m workin' on that. Writer's Block has reluctantly become a very close friend. So my plan is to write verses until it comes natural again and then move on to polishing myself as an MC. Beatmaking is even more challenging. I'll return to that once I heat up a few mixtapes. The transition from writing to recording is actually tougher than a brick mason’s hand. I'm improving and these beatjacks should help out a lot. After that, I think I will start taking things a lot more serious and network more and make good music.

YM. Let’s back track a little, the name Miracle Ric. There might be a few people who don’t know the story behind the name.

This name came into existence about 6 or 7 years ago when I broke my neck in swimming accident. I didn’t know I broke my neck for 2 weeks, some malpractice suits coulda been filed but I didn’t want any more drama. So, I eventually had to have surgery. Titanium plates and screws and fused 4th and 5th vertebrae did the trick. Even my neurosurgeon said it was a miracle my vertebrae didn’t slip and cut my spinal cord. Miracle stuck for a lot of people. So I just added Ric (Rick being my name) and that was it.

YM. Lastly, you might’ve caught April’s YM where I was doing some lobbying about changing the name of the Freestyle Boards to The Speakeasy. Without the political correctness, what’s your opinion of the boards?

I think the speakeasy would be a more appropriate name because the freestyle board is most definitely more catered to poetic types than to us verse vandals. I like to dabble in poetry myself but not as much as I used to. I enjoy reading a lot of folks, particularly those who flaunt they skill in ill imagery. I feel like I neglect my more poetic side at times but it shines thru many of my rhymes. The boards are kinda strange right now. A few new talented cats around on both sides of the Poet/MC spectrum but it seems the usual suspects I check for aren’t posting as much and many new MC's get discouraged easily (some for very good reason). I think the board was more cohesive at one point and I think some egos are in need of deflation but overall I don’t have a major problem with it. I don’t like the decline of MC's b/c this is how I got my start but maybe that’s a sign to do something about my hunger and eat. Feed Me Seymour!

Good lookin Blak

THE IRON FLAG IS UPON YOU...

blk
---------SIG-----------

once i figure out how to keep a sig and not have all chopped up whenever i respond to a post.

http://ryanavery.com/musick/

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

YUKON MAGAZINE.XIV [View all] , blak_yukon, Sun May-01-05 02:54 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: YUKON MAGAZINE.XIV
May 01st 2005
two months ago I lobbied=last mos made official
May 01st 2005
Never A Disappointment ...
May 02nd 2005
Maaaaan
May 02nd 2005
RE: Maaaaan
May 02nd 2005
May 10th 2005
May 10th 2005
when drama hits....
May 02nd 2005
RE: when drama hits....
May 02nd 2005
      miss what?
May 05th 2005
***YUKON MAGAZINE.UPDATE:BETA***
May 04th 2005
g'yeah
May 04th 2005
RE: ***YUKON MAGAZINE.UPDATE:BETA***
May 04th 2005
nice & simple.
May 04th 2005
May 04th 2005
Ric...One last question.
May 07th 2005
lmao
May 08th 2005
      heavens t'murkatroid,even....
May 08th 2005
wow!!!!....
May 11th 2005
May 13th 2005
lmao
May 13th 2005
May 17th 2005

Lobby Freestyle Board Freestyle Board Archives topic #14581 Previous topic | Next topic