Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #28979

Subject: "you is not lying my brother..................................." This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
qoolquest
Charter member
10251 posts
Thu Jun-24-99 01:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "you is not lying my brother..................................."
In response to In response to 0

<BR>> Even the dopest poets sometimes <BR>>land offbeat (I think even Common <BR>>is guilty sometimes - no flames <BR>>please!!) <P> you ain't lyimg yo......i joke with com all the time. did you know we did about 3 remixes for "one day..." that never came out? wanna know why? (read the above quote) it's unique though. but i challenged com to write a rhythmic joint full of iambic pentameters and the like. and my man came through. the song is ill. it's called "coldblooded" too ill. it's his first joint. and that'll be out in october.<BR> you don't know how great it is for someone to understand your work. i love it when people love my work. but i really love it when people can give me specifics. i do this alot when i write of another artist' work. i'm just....wow......it makes working in this industry worth it. especially when i just got through a painful on the spot interview with spin magazine who's doing a 90 best albums of the 90's. i was so excited i didn't even focus that they wanted me to talk about records. i figured that since all 3 of my records got a rare 9 out of 10 (the equiv. of 4 1/2 mics in the source) i was being asked about our shit. instead i read further and it wanted me to comment on ll's "mama said knock you out" and "the score" (fugees).i had to talk about why these two records were "so great". i obliged. but i could only speak of one........................and as i was singing ll' praises i decided to reach out to the editor to see if i could talk about another record (maybe "amerikkka's most wanted"..or my own i half heartedly joked...hoping that he would surprise me by saying 'yeah, you guys made it' but we all know the deal. he said we are on some "honorable mention" list. initialy i was cool. but as it sank in i realized that i was about to type the praises of a album that i couldn't artisticly appreciate. i couldn't lie and say they pushed the envelope using rare breaks.the only two things i could come up with was that it brought lauryn to stardom (but that would've hurt clef and pras' feelings....i'm sure they didn't need to be reminded that her light shines brighter than theirs). and they put a nice piece of change in diamond d's pocket (he did a song).<BR>so after coming to grips with the fact that i'm sitting in a european hotel yet again so i can pay my rent (which i could easly do by doing a collabo with dru hill, or monica). feeling dumbfounded. because the only pleasure i get out of making records is the acclaim. and now i get the feeling that those same publications that have us on their top 10 lists year after year, are now gonna wimp out and act like we never existed in their decade end issues. it's like "yeah we gave you 5's and all these stars and mics and hard rods (black tail). and you make records like no one else. but since you made no impact.....".....<P>"god returned the letter back 3 days later...return to sender.....damn"

check the resume

organix-93
(from the ground up)-94
do you want more?!!???!-95
illadelph halflife-96
things fall apart-99
(the legendary)-99
the roots come alive-99
phrenology-2002
the tipping point-2004
(the roots present...) 2004
homegrown: the beginne

Printer-friendly copy

Is Black Thought the BEST MC in 1999? [View all] , funkyprez, Tue Jun-22-99 08:28 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
mos def
Jun 22nd 1999
ONE SHINE
The Black Knight
Jun 24th 1999
      one shine
Jun 24th 1999
In my opinion...
Dee Phunk
Jun 23rd 1999
mcs
Jun 23rd 1999
Tyriq
Jun 23rd 1999
SHO NUFF!
SAVIR
Jun 23rd 1999
...you got my vote...
jabril74
Jun 23rd 1999
yes, n/m
Jun 23rd 1999
I see it as a tie
Jun 23rd 1999
EL-P is RARELY on beat...
EL Juba
Jun 23rd 1999
off beat
KRH-ONE
Jun 24th 1999
the BUSINESS of music
Jun 24th 1999
thanks
Jun 24th 1999
Roots are quite incredible like that
Joe Haber
Jun 26th 1999
you dont need their acclaim
Jun 24th 1999
Spin is a bad magazine period
Jun 24th 1999
iambic pentameter...
vrn
Jun 24th 1999
iambic pentameter
Jun 24th 1999
      sorry....
KRH-ONE
Jun 24th 1999
((Pat on the back)) Sorry bout yall gettin slept on, cousin..
EL Juba
Jun 24th 1999
I hear you!!!
butterflymil
Jun 25th 1999
I totally agree, check this out...
Jun 26th 1999

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #28979 Previous topic | Next topic