Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #25256

Subject: "future of the roots???" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
lagism
Charter member
2145 posts
Sat Apr-08-00 06:55 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"future of the roots???"

now, i aint talking about their little lay off to do some individual stuff, but i'm talking about the next album that will come out. now, it seems to me that the roots are starting to come out of their "underground" role. seems to me like they are gaining some momentum in becoming extremely popular and well known. now, i got no doubt that roots will forever keep their intergrity but what will happen to the roots' fans. will roots' fans be deterred by so called "fake" fans? will support continue on? i mean, i know i will forever be a roots fan no matter what happens. the reason i bring this up is because i was just thinking about the so called mainstream hip hop heads like dmx and jay-z. when dmx first came out he was all underground and a lotta people felt his ish. he had that raw style of his. i feel that he stuck by his guns and more people started to get into him and then he became of the mainstream. however, in my opinion, he still keeps his style and "rawness." so, what are your opinions on what will happen to the roots in the future. will the roots, common, etc. be the mainstream of tomorrow? will they be looked down upon like we do upon dmx and jay-z now? any responses would be greatly appreciated.

disclaimer: just a simple "what if?" question. don't look upon this as a "hater" post but as a subjective thought about the future of an amazing group of talent. i am and will forever be a fan no matter the outcome of the roots in their role in hip hop

lagism OUT

"I ran wit what G-d planted in my heart and I understand it" -Talib Kweli

Printer-friendly copy

future of the roots??? [View all] , lagism, Sat Apr-08-00 06:55 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: future of the roots???
a
Apr 08th 2000
Apr 09th 2000
a
Apr 09th 2000
well
Apr 08th 2000
RE: well
Apr 09th 2000
can you elaborate?
Apr 10th 2000
mainstream or not......
Apr 09th 2000
Helenconnex
Apr 09th 2000
TIME AND TIME AGAIN
dr_no
Apr 09th 2000
Apr 09th 2000
don't get me wrong
Apr 09th 2000
RE: don't get me wrong
Apr 09th 2000
RE: don't get me wrong
Quinn
Apr 09th 2000
Snavon
Apr 09th 2000
Apr 10th 2000
Snavon
Apr 10th 2000
up
Apr 09th 2000

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #25256 Previous topic | Next topic