Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #20768

Subject: "How will Outkast's success impact the next Roots album?" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Shawn_Gee
Charter member
969 posts
Mon Nov-06-00 10:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"How will Outkast's success impact the next Roots album?"

Let me start off by saying that I think Stankonia is aiiight. I give it a 3 1/2 out of 5. I love the fact that Dre and Big Boi aren't scared to push the envelope....but sometimes pusing the envelope doesn't always equate to quality shit (see kool keith). I know y'all are gonna jump on my back because most of y'all think this album is the best shit ever....but we can debate that on one of the thousands of Stankonia review posts on the review board.

My question is now that 'kast will probably debut 1 or 2 and will probably scan (my prediction) somewhere around 300,000 - 400,000......maybe even more in their first week, how will that affect ?uest and Thought when preparing their next album?

Will The Roots "push the envelope" with some next level shit? If they do try and push the envelope and miss....what would happen to their core fanbase?

Will Thought expand beyond the braggadocio hip-hop style that he's mastered to this point? Will he sing a little, will he let the people finally see the how talented he really is?

Will ?uest leverage some of the relationships he's fostered and have a Roots album with D'Angelo, Zach, Lenny, Macy, Jill?

Will the Roots switch up the tempo and give us a BOB type of song? Or will it be the same formula?

Will ?uest deliver some of that extraordinary shit that he gave Common and D'Angelo?

Which Roots will we see on this album? the almost hardcore hip hop Illadelph halflife version (my favorite)? the laid back experimental DYWM version? or the hybrid TFA version?

I, for one hope Outkasts success shows the fellas that its alright to grow and expand and try new shit. I hope Thought and ?uest make use of their immediate family (Jaguar, Jill, Jazzees,James Poyser, Scott Storch), their extended family (Mos, Common, Talib, Dead Prez, D' Ang, Badu...etc) and add some new folks to the mix (Lenny Kravitz, Zach, some Jazz cats, some Rock cats, some folk cats). After heaing the live version of You Got Me and Hip-Hop (Dead prez), on the tour...i think some rock influenced tracks would be hot (not hard rock...just subtle rock influenced tracks). I am eagerly anticipating the next Roots album....are y'all?

"Ernest Lee is Shorty. In the Little Leagues, he can front like he’s something important, but any attempt to move into the big time leaves him exposed, shocked, and utterly outclassed". - (taken from the Blowhard league archives)

Printer-friendly copy

How will Outkast's success impact the next Roots album? [View all] , Shawn_Gee, Mon Nov-06-00 10:49 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
DAMMIT SHAWN!!!!!!!!!!1
Nov 06th 2000
RE: How will Outkast's success impact the next Roots album?
Amilcar
Nov 06th 2000
Nov 06th 2000
u ask a lot of damn questions...
Nov 06th 2000
small answer--
Nov 06th 2000
i was thinking about the same thing...
Nov 06th 2000
the Roots have matured
Nov 06th 2000
So many questions...
Nov 06th 2000
Do that shit do that shit do it!
Nov 06th 2000
guests and hosts, hostess guess
Nov 06th 2000
      Will ignore comment and say...
Nov 07th 2000
PUSH THE DAMN ENVELOPE, PUSH IT!!!!!
Nov 06th 2000
word y/u/p
Nov 06th 2000
Nov 06th 2000
Both groups..
Nov 06th 2000
Depends on the definition of Pushing the Envelope....
Nov 06th 2000
Stank-on-the-Roots
Nov 06th 2000
Last time I checked, Outkast and The Roots
Nov 07th 2000
All I know...
Nov 07th 2000
Reggie_Reg
Nov 07th 2000
thank you shawn
Nov 07th 2000
answer the question
Nov 08th 2000
      there probably will be 0 effect
Nov 08th 2000
no Lenny & Macy allowed: stay the fuck out!
Nov 07th 2000
Holden007
Nov 07th 2000
wyclef with the roots?
Nov 08th 2000
vuduchild
Nov 07th 2000
Nov 07th 2000
Nov 08th 2000
But is that how genius really works?
Nov 08th 2000
joutofNC
Nov 09th 2000
Nov 09th 2000

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #20768 Previous topic | Next topic