Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #17094

Subject: "I'm w/ Kweli on this one" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
BKyle
Charter member
2923 posts
Thu Apr-26-01 07:07 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I'm w/ Kweli on this one"

I got into it with Wreck about Hype Williams a while back. As much as people wanna hate on Hype now-a-days, he along with Puffy have made significant impacts in their industries single handedly. "Hype" is anotha post for anotha day. Since things go in cylces... it's time to hate. When ya get too big, we need a victim; Hammer, Hype, now Puffy.

I'm with Talib Kweli on this one about Puffy. You can hear it in his own words (if you keep it 'REAL' like Ms.Cleo), or read the transcription (if you're not Bling-Blingn' w/ a shinny suit)

http://play.rbn.com/?url=okayplayer/okayplayer/g2demand/kwapuffy.rm&proto=rtsp

"I give him respect. I really and truly do. I give him respect. He knows what the fuck he’s doin. The reason I give Puff respect is because when I was coming up in this shit, when I was working in the streets, this nigga Puff was working at Uptown on some like, “I’m trying to do some real hip-hop. I’m trying to take this to the next level. I’m trying to do Craig Mack, I’m trying to do Biggie, I’m trying to do Total, I’m tryin to bring this to the street level where niggas on the street can respect and appreciate this shit”. My experience with him, is him going to the underground open mics, him going to the Lyricists Lounge, him doin that shit. Now when he started making money, he started acting like he was making money. Which a lotta niggas tend to do, and he got caught up in that. I saw that when he started going to the Hamptons’ and all, he got caught up in it, it fucked him up. I still give him respect ‘cause I’ve seen the work he put in. Niggas don’t see the work. Come 94, up to 94, that nigga was considered underground hip-hop. Up to 94-95 he started switching up. But, he used to be at all the underground spots, watching and paying attention, and he knew how to make records. There was a time in New York where from midnight to two in the morning, aint nothing but records that Puff had something to do with. That’s incredible. From midnight til two in the morning, if you had a party, it aint nothing but shit that he had something to do with, whether it was a Gina Thompson remix, or a Biggie record, a Craig Mack record, whatever it is, Puff had his name on it".

Yeah Kwa, I'm with you on this one! He was RUNNIN shit and we all rocked with him. But... things go in cycles...

B.Kyle

(P.S. That's Kamal you hear from the peanut gallery)

"Reality is friskin' me, this industry will make you lose intensity!" ~ Common

"Way more necessary skills for the application... My facts more than make up for what you have in imagination" ~ Talib Kweli

"My roots extend the bedrock. I stay grounded. Perfect balance, I've found it" ~ Talib Kweli

"I'm straight gutter... up-in-that ass foot-putter..." ~ Black Thought (http://play.rbn.com/?url=okayplayer/okayplayer/g2demand/footputra.ra&proto=rtsp)

4 months before the album came out... I was told one song may not make it. Now 10 months later...
http://play.rbn.com/?url=okayplayer/okayplayer/g2demand/africadream.rm

http://www.youtube.com/user/BKyle215
Subscribe now, and be among the 1st to peep the exclusive hip-hop stuff!!! B.Kyle Style!

Printer-friendly copy

I'm w/ Kweli on this one [View all] , BKyle, Thu Apr-26-01 07:07 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
this is 20/20...
Apr 26th 2001
aint' nobody claimin puff didn't pay dues....
Apr 26th 2001
OKP on a role...
Apr 26th 2001
true true
Apr 26th 2001
Yea, Yea Puff is kool
Apr 26th 2001
RE: Yea, Yea Puff is kool
Apr 26th 2001
      yeah...but you're aimin a little low...
Apr 26th 2001
RE: I'm w/ Kweli on this one
NoOne
Apr 26th 2001
Puffy wasn't always fake...
Apr 26th 2001
      RE: Puffy wasn't always fake...
Traci
Apr 27th 2001
           I hear ya but.....
Apr 27th 2001
I feel Kwa on this one...
Apr 27th 2001
RE: I'm w/ Kweli on this one
Apr 27th 2001
I just seen puff in a new video today...
Apr 27th 2001
      RE: I just seen puff in a new video today...
Apr 27th 2001
Da5thRealm
Apr 28th 2001
Apr 28th 2001
Puff's wack, but Hype ain't
Apr 27th 2001
Aight, check it...
Apr 29th 2001
ARTISTS and PRODUCERS
uniquethoughtt
Apr 29th 2001
thank you
Apr 30th 2001
howard university - & it don't stop
Apr 30th 2001

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #17094 Previous topic | Next topic