Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #15414

Subject: "RE: Common revolutionary?" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
coolpoet26

Sun Jul-29-01 03:34 PM

10. "RE: Common revolutionary?"
In response to In response to 0

Ok, Soulswede and frederisco hit it on point, I can't argue. I feel like Common's messages are very very good and very inspiring, but I'm more inspired by the tracks and the way his voice flows over the tracks. I tend to view what Mos Def and Talib Kweli have done as more on the revolutionary side. Especially when I see how Michael Jordan was inspired to make that commercial using UMI says! When I think of revolutionary artists I think of Bob Marley. Strong message, great delivery, great music, not too heavy, not too light:

"The power of philosophy floats through my head, light like a feather, heavy as lead" -Bob Marley
I just think that's the tightest line I've heard in any song!

Another thing too is that common just like any one of us is human and an artist in his own right, so I appreciate what he has to say because of his motives. I also really respect common because of his directions that he's been going in. No one really seemed to appreciate the one day it will all make sense album, but I loved it. He's doing what he wants to do, making his political statements when neccessary and having fun while doing it. It is difficult to maintain a balance that will satisfy all critics and that is just not reality.

Revolutionary, not quite.. but definitely a figurehead in the revolution!

-RasPoetE
Enter the DREAD - http://www.geocities.com/coolpoete

Printer-friendly copy

Common revolutionary? [View all] , Federisco, Wed Jul-25-01 12:43 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Common revolutionary?
soulswede
Jul 25th 2001
Jul 25th 2001
soulswede
Jul 25th 2001
      up
Jul 27th 2001
Jul 25th 2001
Jul 26th 2001
RE: Common revolutionary? Yup
SonicYouthEvol
Jul 25th 2001
RE: Common revolutionary? Yup
Jul 28th 2001
      What defines a "revolutionary" MC?
Jul 29th 2001

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #15414 Previous topic | Next topic