Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #14502

Subject: "even though nesta said it best. i figured that you would like to hear fr..." This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
qoolquest
Charter member
10251 posts
Fri Aug-06-99 11:21 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
46. "even though nesta said it best. i figured that you would like to hear fr..."
In response to In response to 0

>To be honest, I'm more partial to <BR>>the Snipes argument than the Denzel <BR>>one (intro to TFA), particularly when <BR>>it comes to the lack of <BR>>black support for the Roots<BR>....so maybe <BR>>I'm biased. While I <BR>>think the music is quality and <BR>>I buy your albums,<P>i feel that statement is a contradiction. while i long to artisticly connect with my people (this is not a complaint to my white suppoters. just a plea for others who look like i do to appreciate my art. see the following records: the black album (prince), on the corner (miles davis), i'm your baby tonight (whitney houston), butterfly (mariah carey), voodoo (d'angelo), "vivrant" (q-tip).) all the albums mentioned were projects that were created with the intention that black folk will embrace them with loving arms.<P>i know some of you cats in here are like "not again *sigh* what does color matter? why can't we be color blind?" that statement has always bothered me because obviously i'm a person of "color". so to be colorblind is to really say that i can get accepted "in spite" of my "color" (faults).--y'know like "i will be accepted reguardless of...color." i think that's the root of all problems right there. people are individuals and should be accepted as such. now in my opinion--well? no it's a fact. i've been to enough sessions, and heard enough stories to back my claim that hip-hop is now following the road to "black music hell" (quality for dollars)that other black art forms have followed (gospel, blues,rock, soul, disco, techno, and now hip-hop). i say this because even though you think that jay-z and puff and no limit is catering their sound to black audiences.....surprise! they're not. check this out.<P>axel nihaus (tfa's primary mix engineer) has been puff's right hand engineer for some time (until recently. he's done most of "life after death" "no way out" "keep the faith" and "kima keisha and pam" and puff's "forever") he's also a great friggin engineer. he can attest to the fact that the creative process of "around the way" acts is catered toward the audience that has the mighty dollar. and guess what.....it ain't the black audience. <P>the key formula is to build a strong base (ironic that the label most known for hip-hop crossover planted its flag with (in my opinion) one of the most quintessential (sic) "east coast/real hiphop" (y'all know what i mean) soundin' joints. (flavor in your ear). this shows radio/video/retail that you have a strong base. the real test is the follow up punch. (hence "the next movement" wasn't as strong as "you got me" so we got ko'd in the first round. but fuck it...) the follow up punch for bad boy was "big poppa" which in puff (and big's as well as axel's word's) the last song for Ready To Die. big had to be "forced" to write that song. and puff wanted to compete with death row with the same formula that they rocketed to the sky with: 1) be ghetto as fuck (if whites want intellect, they can buy tori amos). this will satisfy all the vicarious (sic) fantasies that whites have had with black culture since day 1. this means misogyny 2.violent images 3.keeping the sexual myth alive 4. and most importantly (or else the formula will fail) dilute the music as much as possible.......look at history. berry gordy himself said that motown was to sell to whites because that's where the money is so thus most motown acts (that made it) were polished and sophisticated. unlike berry's down south competion: stax. (booker t and the mg's, otis redding, and rufus thomas). so if history shows that the white audience will be "liberal" (another dangerous word) to black art in dosages (george clinton's p-funk was to intellectual so white cats were'nt hip to it in the 70's until hip-hop made it more familiar to the "consumer" ear....and before you write complaint mail he told me this 2 weeks ago in new york!....but here's the twist! our audience is white how do explain that quest? well. i took in account what happend. for starters there's no denying this........whites and blacks are trading places. (not in power.....never that) but in culture and socialy. you ever think that you would think that the 4 most violent crimes commited in the past 3 months would be at the hands of white folk? (atlanta shooting, alabama shooting, colorado shooting, and the woodstock riots)--this is not to say that whites havn't been historicly violent (klan crimes, ayrian nation crimes, germany 1930, slavery)-- it's just the media is slow to point this out (hey i was at woodstock and had nann clue of the riots until someone told me what happend....now if that was the "hard knock life tour"? i would post all day in my room because all rap shows would be outta here!<P>my point is that is it any wonder that limp biskit, korn, britney spears, and n'sync (read the mary j. issue of VIBE if you think i lie) are now on your mtv more than wu-tang (they fucked their own program up), black star (too smart), aalyiah (those past songs were about undeniable radio singles. i know people at atlantic records and "are you that somebody" got resistence out the ass until everyone and their mom was like "i love that shit!" then mtv was like..."ok let's run it!!!!" don't be fooled y'all. unless there is a demand out the ass for product you will not see it on mtv (that "baller! shot caller! song from down south is a prime example it's radio bds' are unbelievable like 30 plays a day and that's just on requests alone!!! so that's a prime "bandwagon moment" for mtv to jump on.)and boys to men? (remember when you couldn't hide from them?...sure we can point the finger at the andre harrel era motown but the fact is.....is the elvis/col. tom paker theory all over again (from 1956 "if i can find a white boy that sings like a negro...i guarantee you that i can make millions of dollars") <P>meanwhile black artist are on axel's ass for "radio mixes" which means a whole lotta keyboard and no drums. i don't know how my craft got sacrificed but somehow before someone must have made the notion that white radio programmers were "psychologicly" (sorry y'all this is hour number 3 and i'm too tired to spell check all this...) effected by "big drums" (i know iknow what about "LED ZEPPLIN" well they only had one top ten hit "whole lotta love" and they were not as criticly acclaimed until Physical Grafitti). and any hip-hop engineer (except bob power who broke the rules on "the low end theory" ) will tell you that a record label will send a mix back to be recalled if the drums are too "agressive". so along with a purposeful diluted sound comes the cultural a-politcal-social shit that hip-hop has been drowning in since day one (my addidas/bally shoes/versace suit/gucci/"do the fila"(mc boob)/i drive caddy you pushin a FORD!!!/ damn playboy? where the hummer at?) material shit has been a key thing with black folk since day one. "get what they got....by any means" <P>so where does that leave us? black men doing a black artform (and to the bone cause i will yell at the heaven's that hey: "you can be faster. have better tech skills....but nann drummer is funkier than me. and if funk ain't as "black as you can get" than i don't know what is!")that supported b----wait lemme stop sayin that. it sounds like it's a diesease. imma call a spade a spade.......we are black musicians that get ignored by black people. all because we won't follow suit to dilute the artform to get accepted. as for your other questions...........<P> I also <BR>>believe the Roots had failed to <BR>>connect with the average black hip <BR>>hop fan (particularly the "roundtheway" type) <BR>>in the way that other artists <BR>>have<P>we would have to sacrifice the music. 20 years ago george clinton said "can you imagine any doobie (brothers) in yo funk?" now i notice that the opposite as i find limp's "nokkie" funkier than jay-z's "jigga my nigga". but again try to fing the "soundscan" report on the net who can break down to the demograpic the real audience of hip-hop (70% white) <P><P><P>>this is sad because it's critical <BR>>that the general black audience has <BR>>exposure to a variety of sounds. <P><BR>black folks are still beautiful innovative craftmen. and i'm sure that we'll keep on reinventing the american music artform. but that's not the case for mofo's around my way who can't afford my record that depend on the radio and tv for their daily dosage.<P><BR>>I'm from NY and I've seen the <BR>>Roots @ Tramps. I'm not <BR>>sure where else the group has <BR>>played but using that spot as <BR>>an example, it is hardly a <BR>>venue that is popular within the <BR>>black community (that I know of).<P><P>where do you know of a venue in the "community" that will have us (don't even say "the apollo")<BR> <BR>> The show was advertised in <BR>>the Voice but I never saw <BR>>any fliers or ads in common <BR>>ghetto spots in BK or uptown.<P>as a touring vet i can say that's because plain and simple "economics" it is a rare day in hell that i will see effective promotion in the communtiy (as in promote and they will come)--im also sure it's the fear of the "thug" element that scares promoters. but at this rate in a few years? with white mofo's bussin shots on the regular? the roots will be at the local y in brooklyn sooner than you think.<P><BR> <BR>> The same can't be said <BR>>for Bad boy artists, Fat <BR>>Joe & his clique, or even <BR>>Juvenile when he came to the <BR>>BX to perform.<P>well. you have to go into detail with this one. i know jue was at the tunnel. but----hey hang on!!! we did the bronx too!! what am i sayin?<P><BR> After being surrounded <BR>>by a sea of white faces <BR>>and continuously bumped into by <BR>>some retro hip hop kid and <BR>>his nonrhythm having self, I'm hard <BR>>pressed to see another show @ <BR>>that venue. <P><BR>this might be the root of your problem. you sound like denzel now.....hmmmmm<P><BR>I'm way too old <BR>>for & not a fan of <BR>>the Tunnel but atleast there a <BR>>sistah can find a black dance <BR>>partner. <P>you gots to be my age because there are no more "dances" no more (unless you count bouncing)<P><P>There's a social aspect/black celebration <BR>>to hip hop shows (and black <BR>>events in general) that is important.<P><BR>true, but why have blacks abandond hip-hop?<P> <BR>> There are a lot of <BR>>blacks that I know who are <BR>>uncomfortable or simply don't want to <BR>>deal with white folks on a <BR>>social level. Maybe that's wrong, but <BR>>I notice that the vibe of <BR>>a function changes as the number <BR>>of blacks decrease. <BR>>Now I don't necessarily expect the Roots <BR>>to tour with JayZ (for example), <BR>>nor do I know if that's <BR>>possible, but why not? I <BR>>remember, a long time ago, seeing <BR>>PE, Naughty By Nature, Geto Boys, <BR>>LL (I think) and a bunch <BR>>of other acts @ a concert <BR>>@ the Garden. Those are <BR>>very different groups with very different <BR>>messages but they all rocked an <BR>>audience full of people with faces <BR>>that looked like theirs.<P>that was yeeeeeeeeeearrrrrrrs ago. you can do that same show and guess who won't be there?<P> <BR>>I'd be interested in anyone's thoughts on <BR>>this. <BR>>Thanks & for the record, I'm over <BR>>25 and came up in this. <BR>><P><BR>"god made me write this"

check the resume

organix-93
(from the ground up)-94
do you want more?!!???!-95
illadelph halflife-96
things fall apart-99
(the legendary)-99
the roots come alive-99
phrenology-2002
the tipping point-2004
(the roots present...) 2004
homegrown: the beginne

Printer-friendly copy

Question for the Roots: who decides which artists you will tour with and... [View all] , nahymsa, Thu Aug-05-99 07:14 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
great question
angieee
Aug 05th 1999
My .02
Aug 05th 1999
re: your 2 cents
Aug 05th 1999
Things done changed!!!!!
Aug 05th 1999
      This is a luvly debate...
FreeZ
Aug 05th 1999
      Right back atcha
Aug 05th 1999
           What do you have against Everlast?
c-diggity
Aug 05th 1999
           Everlast over Jay Z?
Aug 09th 1999
           As we proceed!
Aug 05th 1999
           response
Aug 06th 1999
           P &amp; Puff
SoulChild
Aug 06th 1999
           RE: P & Puff
Sep 24th 2001
           CLEAR THIS UP!
Aug 06th 1999
           When you get back we'll talk some more but a few points
Aug 06th 1999
           Is Master P really circumventing the game...
SoulChild
Aug 06th 1999
                Maybe he's gambling on MP3 technology
Aug 06th 1999
           Blackstarr &amp; nationalism
Aug 06th 1999
           Gotta Jump in Again!
Aug 09th 1999
           annoyed..
SARE ONE
Aug 10th 1999
                Thanks for the welcome &amp; don't be annoyed
Aug 11th 1999
                Open Forum.. This is good!
Aug 17th 1999
                     Sorry but you're wrong
Aug 18th 1999
                Creative entrepreneurs
Aug 17th 1999
           I think you're missing the point...
Aug 09th 1999
           Thank you! And yeah, I'm a sista :-)
Aug 09th 1999
           Gotta disagree about jazz STRONGLY
Aug 09th 1999
                Context!
Aug 09th 1999
                     Hold up! Where did say &quot;commercial&quot; success was the way to re...
Aug 10th 1999
                          oops...just to be clear, that sentence should've said.
Aug 10th 1999
           Roots in the community in Philly
SoulChild
Aug 06th 1999
                GOOD SHIT SON!
SARE ONE
Aug 10th 1999
you took the words right out my mouth...N/M
Aug 05th 1999
psst...
Aug 06th 1999
As a promoter..
blue tiger
Aug 05th 1999
now that's interesting....
Aug 05th 1999
To hopefully clarify...
blue tiger
Aug 05th 1999
      My bad....
blue tiger
Aug 05th 1999
      Security is an issue
Aug 05th 1999
           We agree on something..
blue tiger
Aug 05th 1999
Yo
Ali
Aug 05th 1999
      DC scene
SoulChild
Aug 05th 1999
      DC Scene
Ali
Aug 06th 1999
           Curious..
SoulChild
Aug 06th 1999
      I hear you
Aug 05th 1999
      gotta speak on it
Aug 06th 1999
           Yo
SoulChild
Aug 06th 1999
           NC?
blue tiger
Aug 06th 1999
                I liked Raleigh/Durham stuff better, n/m
SoulChild
Aug 06th 1999
                That's scary.
blue tiger
Aug 06th 1999
                NC Radio
dysfunctmonk
Aug 08th 1999
                     a shamless promo....
DJ BumRush
Aug 08th 1999
                          let me add on
Aug 17th 1999
           PLEASE KEEP PREACHING!!!
Aug 06th 1999
           here's what I think
Aug 06th 1999
           check one, two
Aug 06th 1999
                :-) I like your style....
Aug 06th 1999
                that might have been
KRH-ONE
Aug 07th 1999
           DC Clubs suck...
kawright
Aug 06th 1999
                WORD!!
SoulChild
Aug 06th 1999
      Maybe ...
Aug 09th 1999
      The Next Generation....
AJ
Aug 09th 1999
I don't know
SoulChild
Aug 05th 1999
a huge issue...
rEvolution
Aug 06th 1999
Good point...
SoulChild
Aug 06th 1999
i see what you are saying...
rEvolution
Aug 06th 1999
      but it kinda is...
SoulChild
Aug 06th 1999
Culture
Ali
Aug 09th 1999
fair enough
rEvolution
Aug 11th 1999
About who you pass fliers to...
Aug 14th 1999
      understood spirit....
rEvolution
Aug 17th 1999
First thank you for taking the time to answer
Aug 06th 1999
A different perspective....
Aug 06th 1999
Thank you...
Django
Aug 06th 1999
How about...&quot;I don't freestyle, My styles ain't free&quot;...
gREG bASS
Aug 11th 1999
Live from Vegas, Thx Quest!
Aug 07th 1999
true but......
emceefaceless
Aug 10th 1999
yeah but..........
Aug 11th 1999
      &quot;what about...&quot;
urban cowgirl
Aug 11th 1999
      your share
Aug 14th 1999
           Un der stand able...
urban cowgirl
Aug 20th 1999
      Spirit comes in with the statistics...
Aug 14th 1999
           hey you went to HU
Aug 16th 1999
           Hey, you went to HU?
Aug 16th 1999
RE: even though nesta said it best. i figured that you would like to hea...
Sep 24th 2001
the root of the problem
HoMeBrO
Aug 06th 1999
definitely archive material
Aug 06th 1999
No doubt Atruhead...
Aug 07th 1999
I care because I think its important for the general black population to...
Aug 09th 1999
      the music is there, why is it your responsibility..
urban cowgirl
Aug 11th 1999
           Because I care about mine
Aug 11th 1999
This may seem ugly, but it may be true
Aug 07th 1999
Reply to nahymsa
Xpoman_C
Aug 09th 1999
wheeew good post! please read what i have to say!
goodvibez
Aug 09th 1999
I'm totally feeling you n/m!!!!
Aug 09th 1999
Artist pick the music, not the fans
Silversheath
Aug 09th 1999
I have no problem with white hip hop fans
Aug 10th 1999
glad we see eye-to-eye
Aug 10th 1999
understood, i must disagree
Silversheath
Aug 10th 1999
      One thing:
blue tiger
Aug 11th 1999
      No...it means that I would rather not deal with the dynamic they tend to...
Aug 11th 1999
      AIGHT TIGER!!!!
Aug 11th 1999
      clarification
Aug 11th 1999
      See Stylus' answer - he said it all
Aug 11th 1999
well said cuz!
SARE ONE
Aug 13th 1999
THIS IS A BEAUTIFUL THING BUT.........
SAVIR
Aug 09th 1999
pushin it up
goodvibez
Aug 10th 1999
Whats up Queen!
Taboo
Aug 10th 1999
      TABOO!
goodvibez
Aug 11th 1999
           you know I love the OKP's...
Aug 11th 1999
Questions
sanifu
Aug 11th 1999
Outta hand
Silversheath
Aug 11th 1999
WHAT???
sanifu
Aug 11th 1999
whoah
Aug 12th 1999
      AIIGHT!!!
sanifu
Aug 12th 1999
           True...
Aug 13th 1999
                HEY...
sanifu
Aug 13th 1999
Never forget history...
Aug 17th 1999
Respect....before I go back to concentrating on the J-O-B
Aug 11th 1999
      PEACE SIS
sanifu
Aug 11th 1999
           Y'know, I made it up
Aug 13th 1999
                CREATIVE...
sanifu
Aug 13th 1999
THE ROOTS ARE EXPENSIVE
Aug 11th 1999
WHY THE ROOTS WILL NEVER COME TO MY CITY
Aug 11th 1999
Reply to #101:The Roots are expensive
gREG bASS
Aug 11th 1999
      Yeah but the Roots are still expensive
Aug 12th 1999

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion Okay Artist Archives topic #14502 Previous topic | Next topic