Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #96534

Subject: "Wow, dude has 7 360s die on him (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
Galatasaray
Member since May 11th 2006
14229 posts
Mon Feb-26-07 09:25 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Wow, dude has 7 360s die on him (swipe)"

4 were launch systems but still
damn
i think my limit would be 2. the original and the replacement
if both of those broke it's a done deal

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/business/16755824.htm?source=rss&channel=siliconvalley_rss

Some corporate sins are unforgivable. Like turning your back on your most loyal customers to the point that they feel like giving up on you.

Rob and Mindy Cassingham wanted to prove they were the most loyal Xbox 360 fans. I met them at Zero Hour, the event in which Microsoft debuted the Xbox 360 in November 2005 to 3,000 of its most enthusiastic fans. The Cassinghams drove halfway across the country from Moab, Utah, where they operated a video game center. They showed up at the event, at an aircraft hangar in the Mojave Desert, with license plates hanging around their necks that read ``Xbox.''

``I was clearly a fan boy,'' said Rob Cassingham, 42.

These days, Cassingham isn't so sure about that. He loves playing games on the Xbox 360, but he has gone through seven defective machines in the past year and a half.

The Cassinghams had a ball at Zero Hour and bought four Xbox 360s there. I saw them several times during the 30-hour event, and they were quite tired by the end of it.

They also bought two more machines from the local game store, spending more than $2,600 in total on hardware alone. They put the machines in their gaming center and had a virtual monopoly on the Xbox 360 in their town of 5,000 people. They stood to make a lot of money renting the machines for the local kids to play.

They also helped others order machines and were responsible for a couple of dozen sales of Xbox 360s. In January 2006, Rob Cassingham registered to get the ``Xbox360'' license plate in the state of Utah.

Little did the Cassinghams know that their machines would start failing. The first one gave out the same month Rob ordered his license plate.

``All of the four that we got at Zero Hour croaked on us,'' Cassingham said.

He sent the first machine to fail back to Microsoft and got a refurbished unit as a replacement some weeks later; Xbox 360s were in short supply at that time.

But even as the shortage eased, Cassingham still had to get on the phone, wade through the voice-mail tree, and talk for about 20 minutes to tech support representatives before they would agree to send him a replacement as each subsequent machine failed. They would ask him to unplug it, plug it back in, tell them about the three flashing red lights of death, and try other things. He had to wait two weeks each time, and he always got a refurbished unit back.

But he kept playing. He loved games like ``Condemned'' and ``Dead Rising.''

Tina Conley, a spokeswoman for Microsoft, said failure rates for the Xbox 360 are ``within the consumer electronics industry average.'' The company declined to say exactly what the failure rates are. Conley said Microsoft is investigating what happened with Cassingham to see how it could have better resolved his problems.

When Cassingham contacted me on Feb. 1 by e-mail, he said he had had it. His seventh unit was on its way.

When we talked on the phone, he said, ``When it comes, I'm going to sell it. I have 12,000 achievement points (rewards for exploits in games). That's a hard thing to give up. I gave up cigarette smoking, so I've been through worse. I've had game systems since the Coleco machine. Intellivision. The first machine I had was the Magnavox Odyssey in 1972. I have never had to send any of them back. The gaming experience has been wonderful. And Xbox Live is great. But the reliability of this thing . . .'' He didn't finish the sentence.

He added, ``Why spend money for rims on a car that spends 90 percent of its time in the shop?''

Of the seven failed machines, three were ones he used personally and four were in the game center. Even one of the replacements failed. He said that all of the machines were within sight of the counter and that no one ever spilled anything on them.

``Nobody pounded them with hammers,'' he said.

``We'll sell the Xbox 360s, the E3 face plate, and everything else. We'll keep the Zero Hour hoodies because they're well constructed. I had six machines, and seven (counting one replacement) crapped out. That's not OK. If I had 100 machines and seven crapped out, that's OK.''

The Cassinghams shut down their game center in November. Demand had fallen, since a lot of people by then had their home machines. Now they do various jobs, such as giving tours of the local scenery. Rob makes a travel and tourism brochure and distributes books.

Rob said he'll focus on PC gaming.

``Microsoft will get some of our money, but not as much of it,'' he said.

After our conversation, I directed him to Peter Moore, head of the games business at Microsoft. I have heard similar stories, from folks such as Chris Szarek, who had three defective machines, and others who have reported trouble getting new machines out of Microsoft over the months. I have never heard anyone complain about problems with the Nintendo or Sony machines. Szarek has been monitoring forums, and notes that there are reports of multiple Xbox 360 failures at www.xbox360defective.com or www.xbox-scene.com.

After 10 months of complaints, Microsoft acknowledged the quality wasn't as high as it had hoped on machines purchased in 2005. But it still maintains that the failures are within industry averages. It offered free replacement if any Xbox 360 purchased in 2005 failed, and it has extended its warranty on new machines -- offering free replacement for failures for up to a year after purchase.

Moore put Cassingham's complaint on the front burner. An Xbox 360 representative contacted Cassingham and agreed to give him a brand new machine. (The company notes that Moore isn't the proper person to go to for customers who ``escalate'' their complaints; they prefer that those with problems deal with Xbox Customer Support.) Cassingham has received the new machine, but he remains sore about the whole experience and is mulling over what to do.

In an e-mail, he wrote, ``A new 360 was all I really wanted in the first place, but after two failed attempts dealing with Microsoft's overseas call centers, I am very annoyed that it took an e-mail directly to P. Moore to get results -- assuming that they do, in fact, ship me a new 360.''

He added, ``How do I feel it is turning out? Frankly, I'm conflicted. I am just so gun-shy about the reliability issue. One part of me wishes, when my 360 arrives(?), to immediately sell it and all of my 360-related schwag and put the money into a gaming PC. Another part of me wants to keep the 360 (and absolutely get the extended warranty) and I don't want to turn my back on my LIVE arcade titles I've purchased. I still feel like a chump.''

Cassingham says he will keep the new Xbox 360, but he is paying extra for a two-year warranty.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Wow, dude has 7 360s die on him (swipe) [View all] , Galatasaray, Mon Feb-26-07 09:25 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
I feel him on this right here....
Feb 26th 2007
lmao @ reading me scripts
Feb 26th 2007
Indian cats are the worse for some reason
Feb 26th 2007
lmao
Feb 26th 2007
Wow, that call should have ended with the loading of a gauge.
Feb 26th 2007
LMAO. You almost made me spit out my drink
Feb 26th 2007
lol, talk about being persistant... damn!
Feb 26th 2007
this shit read like green eggs and ham...
Feb 27th 2007
LMAO
Feb 27th 2007
RE: Indian cats are the worse for some reason
Feb 28th 2007
bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha. that is funny.
Mar 01st 2007
I feel you on the Indian part as well.......
Mar 01st 2007
lol at the hoodies being well constructed
Feb 26th 2007
LOL
Feb 27th 2007
That is fuckin ridiculous
Mar 01st 2007

Lobby High-Tech topic #96534 Previous topic | Next topic