Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #306357

Subject: "CRTs?" Previous topic | Next topic
jimaveli
Charter member
6586 posts
Tue Aug-09-22 12:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"CRTs?"

Has anyone pulled out/gotten an old TV to play old consoles? I just did this.

Sooo, I've been trying to play a few old NES/SNES/Genesis games lately. It was really in interest of filling in some blanks/playing through some stuff I hadn't played through ever (most of the king shit SNES games).

I have a couple of cheap Composite to HDMI converters. So I was using my more recent TVs...basically entry level 4K TVs from a few years ago. Cable into converter into TV, leggo.

And I ain't gon lie. I was feeling hella washed...dying in weird situations that didn't make sense. Timings felt off. It was just weird. I had my head down like Lil Mac when you lose 3 times and shit. But, at the same time, I was on some Keef Sweat shit too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xulTcdtf4eU

So, I did what any suspicious person would do..I took it to the innanet. And what do you know, I read all of the following:

- Cheap Composite to HDMI converters = hella lag.
- Lag on old games = really bad cuz most of the games relied on reflex/twitchy reactions for their difficulty.
- Good converters = $300 or more, good luck finding one, and you might need more than one weird thing together depending on consoles.
- Newer TVs and old consoles don't play nice because they weren't made to go together. 240p vs 1080p isn't clean math. Blah, blah, blah...

Basically, it turned into 'look here, jimmy..find an old azz TV and see if THAT is why you suck so much now'. So I hit FB marketplace, offerup, and all of that. It took about a week and I found a random Sanyo 27" nearby. I got it last night. It was heavy. But it was an old 2001 tube so it wasn't nearly as horrible as those Sony 32" flat screen joints that weigh as much as Brock Lesnar or whatever.

And what do you know...all of a sudden, I was a maestro on Super Mario again. No weird/abnormal-looking deaths. The timing of everything felt MUCH tighter. And I was in business again all of a sudden.

So put me down as a believer in this whole 'get a CRT if you wanna play your old azz consoles' thing. And I don't even know if I have a 'good' old TV. But it'll do for now!

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

CRTs? [View all] , jimaveli, Tue Aug-09-22 12:38 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
I've considered it, but nah.
Aug 10th 2022
RE: I've considered it, but nah.
Aug 17th 2022
Annnnnnd, never mind.
Aug 22nd 2022
      Meanwhile...
Aug 23rd 2022
Too niche