Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #305970

Subject: "This isn't going to be a game. This is Epic Special Projects" Previous topic | Next topic
Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15302 posts
Mon Dec-13-21 07:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "This isn't going to be a game. This is Epic Special Projects"
In response to In response to 4

One benefit of all that Fortnite money is they got to double down on Unreal 5 and create an internal team whose only point is to prove concepts; Unreal is probably still more well-known than Unity but Unity has a much, much larger market share because it's so much better suited for small teams and small games.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-inside-the-matrix-awakens-previewing-the-future-of-gaming-graphics

This is the really eye-opening part, though the whole thing is worth a read:

"But what the team are looking to emphasise is how dynamic this system is and the opportunities this gives to developers. The Matrix Awakens was created by a relatively small team with around 20 to 30 people handling the assets and around 50 to 70 staff members in the team as a whole. Towards the end of the project, the project Slack channel increased to around 200 members as further personnel - such as marketing - entered the conversation. However, the process of creating the demo itself has led to significant optimisation to the point where if the project was rebooted from scratch, it could be achieved much more quickly.

Jerome Platteux explains: "Now, we will be so much faster, we're building the track when we are on the train itself - and sometimes we're building the train at the same time." Michal Valient adds that, "We're building the train... and the train's on fire.""

So there's a lot of caveats in there about things they did almost intentionally just to prove it was running on your console, like frame drops between camera jump cuts, or not working too hard on the physics engine's damage model for cars so it would feel less like a finished product.

But yea, this is playable on home consoles which is pretty wild for a tech demo, you almost never see a company that confident in their engine that they let the general public fuck around with it. The other demo I posted above is also playable behind closed doors for devs looking to license Unreal 5, but Epic's done working on them

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

The Matrix Awakens: An Unreal Engine 5 Experience (YouTube link) [View all] , obsidianchrysalis, Sun Dec-12-21 08:02 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
this thing is cool 'cause you can touch it, the demo last year was wilde...
Dec 12th 2021
I do think I like the demo you linked to more.
Dec 14th 2021
I didn't even think about getting in a car
Dec 13th 2021
RE: I didn't even think about getting in a car
Dec 17th 2021
AMAZING!!!
Dec 13th 2021
Hopefully this will serve as a benchmark
Dec 13th 2021
      Thank you for that info
Dec 17th 2021
Downloaded the demo on my PS5...really good...
Dec 17th 2021
I took a screenshot on the second tallest building
Dec 17th 2021

Lobby High-Tech topic #305970 Previous topic | Next topic