Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #304483

Subject: "I'm gonna ramble a bit here, and it's all PS4 focused" Previous topic | Next topic
Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15308 posts
Thu May-02-19 04:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
20. "I'm gonna ramble a bit here, and it's all PS4 focused"
In response to In response to 0

Though I bet many of these games are available on the other platforms, especially PC. I'll repeat some suggestions, but say why. This subject means a good deal to me so I figured I'd pontificate.

AdVenture Capitalist: This game is utterly stupid, but consoles don't get many clickers because, well, you don't click as much on consoles. I just opened this game for the first time to start this article, and was welcomed with the screen: you were offline for 12,519 hours, 2 minutes and 56 seconds. You earned 3.538 nonillion on Earth while you were gone. Now get in there and maximize those profits! I press X to reply, "Dandy!", and then see ten meters constantly going up. Again, this game is utterly stupid, but I didn't even need to play it to make significant progress and feel really good about myself for not uninstalling it. That is the sadistic - and charming - aspect of the genre in a nutshell. Cookie Clicker is the OG, which I never played.

Fez: I wonder if the charm of this game is gone now that all the answers can be found online, but when I WASN'T playing this game I found the conversation surrounding it utterly fascinating, and I still think it's a genuinely rewarding mix of personal puzzle solving and community engagement that emphasizes how no one person can do everything by themselves even long after all the mysteries have been solved.

Celeste: This is the most applicable to this specific situation in recent memory, though I found it too hard to finish I was also just too stubborn to turn on the assists, which are also thematically relevant. Sometimes life is just fucking hard, and it's not a bad idea to confront what it is about you that makes living feel that way, or a friend (the assists) to alleviate that personal pressure.

Grim Fandango Remastered: Finding life too hard? Try being an underpaid processing agent for the recently deceased.

Pinball Arcade: I think this platform was decimated by an exodus of major board producer sponsorships recently so maybe Zen Pinball is the better recommendation...which is sad considering Pinball Arcade is a near physics perfect representation of so many classic pinball tables it's the closest thing to an innocent afternoon at a pizza plaza in the '90s you can find on a video game console.

Pyre: I suppose this game isn't *non-violent*, as it involves dunking balls and evolves around narratives of civil war and sacrifice. But I really love this game's fusion of weird Slamball + Adventure Game rulesets and find the endless optimism of its characters a useful antidote to current events.

The Fall: It's depressing, but it's also a story about a suit containing a dead pilot who refuses to give up on saving said pilot but also constantly has to reckon with being a husk of dead weight in a world that diagnoses the suit as pointless given that fact. A valuable lesson, maybe, for the depressed and depressed adjacent.

Bound: What's the fusion between dance, nostalgia and spiritual survival? Maybe everything.

Gone Home: I'm way less sold on this game than most were, and maybe that's just the passage of time and advances in "walking simulators", but Gone Home is still the Citizen Kane of wandering around an environment wondering how anything came to be the way it is. "What Became of Edith Finch" is a game I haven't played but is free this month for PS+ members that may be the new answer to that question.

Journey: Give this kid Journey, please.

Sportsfriends: This game can be super frustrating, but honestly I'm not even recommending the whole game, just one of the four. The one where you hold a pole and try to play an extremely goofy game of basketball. It's wonderful, yet competitive, yet understands how silly the concept of competition can be when you just want to have fun.

Doki-Doki Universe: Travel the universe saying hello and making people happy with stickers and whatnot. It's corny, but it's Japan-corny, so it's beautiful.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons: If this game works, it slams the dunk. If it doesn't work, it's still an engaging story of the need for others in a life that too often seems insurmountably hard on one's own.

Firewatch: Like Gone Home, it won't work for everyone. It barely worked for me. But the journey to get to that Barely Working was, like a lot of games on this list, a valuable lesson on the human need for interaction, cooperation and simply experiencing the space in which you exist (or imagine yourself existing).

Thomas Was Alone: The Fall without the depressing overtones, narrated by a tongue in cheek British guy that totally gets puzzles are at their hardest when you just want to move on and do anything else with your life.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Need NON violent games for a teenager [View all] , Castro, Tue Apr-23-19 11:11 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Breath of the Wild
Apr 24th 2019
I have some possibly atypical suggestions
Apr 24th 2019
yeah this is kinda tricky
Apr 24th 2019
splatoon on switch
Apr 24th 2019
Minecraft?
Apr 24th 2019
He is not fond of sports games or racing games.
Apr 24th 2019
      gotcha
Apr 24th 2019
Celeste is probably the most appropriate
Apr 24th 2019
I haven't played Celeste yet, but was going to suggest it
Apr 24th 2019
      I was thinking of Journey too
Apr 24th 2019
      Abzu is definitely a good Journey alternative
Apr 24th 2019
why no racing or sports games?
Apr 24th 2019
The Flame in the Flood
Apr 24th 2019
Don't Starve is pretty dope. Forgot about that one.
Apr 25th 2019
my fav non violent game ever is Cities Skylines
Apr 25th 2019
this
May 02nd 2019
Thank you for your thoughtfulness.
Apr 25th 2019
Bejeweled....
Apr 26th 2019
Ori and the Blind Forest
Apr 26th 2019
Dope post, y'all good people n/m
May 01st 2019
well....
May 13th 2019
weird update: he is alive and just got a full ride to a top art school
Apr 04th 2022
awesome
Apr 04th 2022
:)
Apr 04th 2022
AWESOME!
Apr 07th 2022
Congratulations!!
Apr 14th 2022
dope
May 04th 2022
love to see it
May 23rd 2022
RE: weird update: he is alive and just got a full ride to a top art scho...
Jun 02nd 2022
Congrats!
Jun 22nd 2022
dope
Mar 24th 2023
RE: Need NON violent games for a teenager
Jun 02nd 2022

Lobby High-Tech topic #304483 Previous topic | Next topic