Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #303712

Subject: "modern classic." Previous topic | Next topic
will_5198
Charter member
63072 posts
Sun Oct-06-19 09:12 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "modern classic."
In response to In response to 0

I get the detractors, but fuck it -- this is one of my favorite RPGs I've played, ever. the battle-system is turn-based nirvana, with all the right modern tweaks. the job system is equally godlike (lots of different set-ups to break the game) while all characters maintain a bit of uniqueness through their one specific skill. art-style is 10/10 and the music is derivatively classic ("Determination" is ridiculous).

I've put 90 hours into this one, and haven't logged that much time in any RPG since FFXII. I also can't wait to play it again, and try new routes. the freedom you have to pick up characters at any level, or get job classes at any level -- provided you can game the challenge somehow -- is awesome.

it's not perfect (and neither are most of the older games we love), but this is about as fun as it gets for a 16-bit JRPG fan.

--------

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Octopath Traveler (Nintendo Switch) [View all] , PlanetInfinite, Thu Jul-26-18 11:52 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
I played the demo and prologue, didn't like it
Jul 26th 2018
looks really good
Jul 27th 2018
So far so good but the story is very thin.
Sep 06th 2018
13 hours in and I love this shit
Aug 03rd 2019
RE: modern classic.
Oct 09th 2019
      Steam sale for $30 until April 2.
Mar 29th 2020

Lobby High-Tech topic #303712 Previous topic | Next topic