Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #301839

Subject: "I don't like this. People need to be responsible for the own feelings." Previous topic | Next topic
Wonderl33t
Member since Jul 11th 2002
21405 posts
Sun Feb-26-17 11:15 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I don't like this. People need to be responsible for the own feelings."
In response to In response to 0

I think the entire internet should be like 4chan where you can post whatever the hell you want. The issue with internet speech is that it's anonymous. This API attempts to quell the the symptom of that rather than fix a root cause.

IMO, the two root causes of the "problem" of internet speech is that 1. internet speech is anonymous and therefore mostly free of consequence, and 2. people take it seriously. I would much rather see internet speech become unregulated and unmoderated (other than blatant spam/ads) to the point where people stop taking it as seriously. Internet speech is no more valid than speech scribbled onto the wall of a shitter in Sharpie. Could you have an intelligent, thoughtful, and productive conversation on the wall of a shitter? Certainly. But you can and do also get "CALL CARLA FOR A GOOD TIME 555-555-5555." I would much rather see the policing of internet speech fall on the individual who is viewing it rather than entrust it to giant corporations who already hold all of the cards.

Viewing anonymous internet speech is a choice. Every person who makes that choice should be responsible for their own feelings.

>the API is called perspective (http://perspectiveapi.com/)
>
>http://www.forbes.com/sites/kalevleetaru/2017/02/23/fighting-words-not-ideas-googles-new-ai-powered-toxic-speech-filter-is-the-right-approach/#6dc28a99712b

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

google invents AI service to police "toxic" speech online [View all] , howisya, Thu Feb-23-17 01:02 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
I'm all for it
Feb 26th 2017
jah, i'm conflicted on it myself and wish i weren't
Feb 26th 2017
twitter now also relying on algorithms to curtail abuse
Mar 01st 2017
The best AI is no smarter than a retarded cockroach
May 14th 2017
do you work in a photo lab?
May 14th 2017

Lobby High-Tech topic #301839 Previous topic | Next topic