Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby High-Tech topic #222244

Subject: "Mac Mini's CPU is too slow for 1080p, 5.1, and if there's some bitrate s..." Previous topic | Next topic
Steve O Tron v2
Member since Sep 13th 2002
12906 posts
Sat Feb-13-10 10:21 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Mac Mini's CPU is too slow for 1080p, 5.1, and if there's some bitrate s..."
In response to In response to 0

I have a 3.06ghz iMac, and there's 1 video that it can't handle because of the insane bitrate spike in one of the scenes. Other than that, it flawlessly plays everything well. Cost of an iMac isn't reasonable for a HTPC, however.

Plex is great, but Quicktime (I prefer 7 over X) actually seems to work better for 1080p stuff and Quicktime is the only one that could have used hardware acceleration (your nVidia 9400m) to offload onto the graphics card.

If you're going the Windows route, I'd recommend using MediaPlayerClassic Home Cinema and CCCP (http://www.cccp-project.net/). CCCP will have MPCHC. Also, I'd recommend an nVidia card where you can activate CUDA, which will allow you to offload a lot of the work onto the graphics card, since most video playback normally just uses the CPU to do everything. This is a guide for anime stuff but gives you the general idea for playback: http://nunnally.ahmygoddess.net/watching-h264-videos-using-compute-unified-device-architecture-cuda/

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Anyone got an HTPC? [View all] , handle, Sat Feb-13-10 03:41 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
contemplated upgradin my machine to be a HTPC myself...
Feb 13th 2010
sounds like you need the proper codecs
Feb 13th 2010
patriot box office
Feb 14th 2010
I think I'm going to wait until the Boxee Box appears
Feb 15th 2010

Lobby High-Tech topic #222244 Previous topic | Next topic