Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subject2024 NBA Offseason: Draft, Trades, Free Agency, Coaching Carousel
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2808007
2808007, 2024 NBA Offseason: Draft, Trades, Free Agency, Coaching Carousel
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Jun-19-24 11:16 AM
Monty fired, which is insane, but expected. I’d say Cavs is the smart choice as far as open jobs are, but let’s be real. Wherever he goes he’ll be fired in 4 years if he’s lucky.

Coaching is a great gig if you want to get paid to fuck off, but not if you want long term stability.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/40385485/sources-pistons-fire-coach-monty-williams-one-season
2808008, I'm on that Borrego train and the Cavs seem to be as well
Posted by Dr Claw, Wed Jun-19-24 12:48 PM
the backup guys will likely be Atkinson, Alex Jensen, maybe Chris Quinn from Miami.

but there's a major reason why I want Borrego: he has made doo-doo into actual fertilizer for teams offensively. The Cavs Achilles' heel is not toughness, not even the size of their backcourt IMO. it's offense and shooting.

and Borrego had a fuckin Devonte Graham/Terry Rozier backcourt cooking on a Hornets team that was ultimately ass. A lot of non-shooters in NO he made respectable.

Moving off JBB, I'm definitely welcoming JB2 with open arms over here.

2808011, some of these teams more wreckless w/ their spending than the DoD
Posted by Robert, Wed Jun-19-24 01:35 PM
headline might as well read "Pistons fans see 50% increase in their ticket/concession prices in 2024-26"

i get $65milly in a $2billy business is a drop in bucket/part of the game..but still
2808012, owner's gonna eat that apprently
Posted by cgonz00cc, Wed Jun-19-24 02:32 PM
but we'll see
2808022, Yeah, ultimately you have to just accept the sunk cost.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Jun-20-24 01:29 AM
You made a mistake. The coach isn't working, and you owe him a ton of money. Would you rather:
a) lose several more seasons solely because you don't want to eat the cost of firing the coach, or
b) admit the mistake, pay out the ass for it, and move on in order to give your franchise an actual modicum of hope for the near future?

Option B all day. You have a new president, new GM, might as well have a new coach. They can make moves with this roster-- it's a roster with bad fit, but most of the pieces are really young with real upside value. Extract enough value with moves, and hey, you could have something.

If it were up to me (and hey Detroit, I'm available), everything I do would be centered around trying to surround Cade with shooting. I'd trade one of Ivey or Ausar, whichever you like more going forward, for shooting or major league draft capital. I'd trade Duren for shooting. I think Stewart can space the floor some, and he's obviously great to keep for salary matching in future trades down the line, but if you get the right offer, you trade him too. I like Grimes (even though he was hurt most of last year). I like Sasser as an off-the-bench piece. But they desperately need true rim protection next to Stewart, and they need shooting shooting shooting.

In the draft, shit, I'd trade up to make sure I land Reed Sheppard. Exceptional shooter, exceptional decision maker, a perfect complement to Cade. Maybe offer Houston Ivey-- or maybe Amen wants to play with his brother, idk. But I've no doubt in my mind Ivey and a second or two would get you the third pick in this draft. Then, with the fifth pick, you land Donovan Clingan or Alex Sarr, whichever one is still on the board at 5, since the Spurs aren't drafting a center. If the Pistons could roll out something like Cade/Sheppard/Grimes/Stewart/Clingan next year? That'd be something I could get excited about looking ahead.

Do I think they'll reboot that hard, when so many of these individual pieces hold great potential (I love Ivey, I think Ausar can be an NBA starter, I think Duren is a perfect Drummond bench big type)? Absolutely not. But if Cade is your star (and he is), you can't have multiple can't shoot/can't defend players on the floor next to him. It's just common sense.
2808220, RE: Yeah, ultimately you have to just accept the sunk cost.
Posted by cgonz00cc, Wed Jun-26-24 10:10 AM

>If it were up to me (and hey Detroit, I'm available),
>everything I do would be centered around trying to surround
>Cade with shooting. I'd trade one of Ivey or Ausar, whichever
>you like more going forward, for shooting or major league
>draft capital.

If one has to go its Ivey, but the way Ivey got jerked around this past year, I dont think they could get the value for what he will be, just what hes shown up to now.

They have to see if Cade/Ivey can work imo. There is a risk that Ivey turns put to be a good player on a bad team type, but doing things and undoing them is why Kennard isnt there now to he the shooting they need, and James Wiseman is.

>I'd trade Duren for shooting. I think Stewart
>can space the floor some, and he's obviously great to keep for
>salary matching in future trades down the line, but if you get
>the right offer, you trade him too. I like Grimes (even though
>he was hurt most of last year). I like Sasser as an
>off-the-bench piece. But they desperately need true rim
>protection next to Stewart, and they need shooting shooting
>shooting.

Duren is off the table imo. Everyone loves him, his attitude, and the work ethic to match the potential. If someone wants to overpay, then the Pistons should listen, but short of that i dont think hes going anywhere.

>In the draft, shit, I'd trade up to make sure I land Reed
>Sheppard. Exceptional shooter, exceptional decision maker, a
>perfect complement to Cade. Maybe offer Houston Ivey-- or
>maybe Amen wants to play with his brother, idk. But I've no
>doubt in my mind Ivey and a second or two would get you the
>third pick in this draft. Then, with the fifth pick, you land
>Donovan Clingan or Alex Sarr, whichever one is still on the
>board at 5, since the Spurs aren't drafting a center. If the
>Pistons could roll out something like
>Cade/Sheppard/Grimes/Stewart/Clingan next year? That'd be
>something I could get excited about looking ahead.

If they trade up for Reed Sheppard im gonna vomit, and if they trade Ausar Thompson to do it im driving down to the arena and vomiting on the front door. I personally believe Ausar has All NBA potential in the Demar Derozan lane with preternatural 2pt shot selection and the length and athleticism that will cause opponents to game plan around his disruptiveness.

>Do I think they'll reboot that hard, when so many of these
>individual pieces hold great potential (I love Ivey, I think
>Ausar can be an NBA starter, I think Duren is a perfect
>Drummond bench big type)? Absolutely not. But if Cade is your
>star (and he is), you can't have multiple can't shoot/can't
>defend players on the floor next to him. It's just common
>sense.

Cade/Ausar/Duren are the foundation and everyone here loves them. I dont see any of them going anywhere. Like I said, Ivey i could be talked into, but also like I said, Dinwiddie/Kennard/Bruce. Cutting bait on guys just to try something new has gotten old amongst the fan base. The last coach to make the playoffs more than once got fired before end of his contract. Monty shouldve never been hired, but now that hes gone, I really want a little patience so that we can see what we really have.
2808248, It’s not about “trying something new,” it’s about fit imo.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Jun-27-24 06:11 PM
Cade/Ausar/Duren are the foundation and everyone here loves them. I dont see any of them going anywhere. Like I said, Ivey i could be talked into, but also like I said, Dinwiddie/Kennard/Bruce. Cutting bait on guys just to try something new has gotten old amongst the fan base.

They’ve been out here drafting “best player available” with a sea of players who can’t shoot. And now they draft Holland, who REALLY can’t shoot. I think all these individual players have genuine talent, but, like, that paint will be more packed than Times Square on NYE.

If you keep all these people to see what you have, they aren’t winning for years, plural, unless their shooting coach does miracle work. I know they’re gonna max extend Cade, as they should, but it’s gonna be so hard to see just how great he can be if no one on the team knocks down open 3s.

I’m not a Duren believer, personally— but honestly the center is the least of the issues. They just need two shooters out there at all times imo. I don’t know what the vision is. At all. Even in the new regime with the Ron Holland pick— unless the Holland pick signifies other guys are on their way out.
2808013, I’m kinda on team blow it up and rebuild.
Posted by Ryan M, Wed Jun-19-24 02:57 PM
Won’t happen, so…guess I’ll look forward to a podcaster head coach and a 3rd guy who doesn’t fit in again.
2808019, I don't know why fans and the FO thinks having a Big 3 works
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Wed Jun-19-24 07:42 PM
I think the league the last few years has shown the depth is more important than top line talent. Even the year the team made the WCF, they had AD and Bron playing well, of course, but they had a lot of players play over their heads.

Also, who are we bringing in to be the #3 and who are we sending out? I don't think Levine is a solid bet given his injury history and lack of effort of defense. Are we getting rid of Reeves to get Levine? I don't think that's a good idea either.

I'd rather trade AD and Bron and start over. But, I would have very little faith the FO could actually build a capable roster. I didn't like Jim Buss and Mitch the last few years, but they did draft a pretty good roster. Recently, they nabbed Caruso, Reeves, and TNT with some low picks, so maybe I'm not giving them enough credit.

Regardless, I think 2020 was the peak of this team. It seems like whoever you bring in as a 3rd star, it's not going to move the needle enough to get this team to the level that OKC or MIN or DEN or DAL is at now. So, break the team up. But, I realize we need stars out here or Jeanie and Jay Mohr can't afford a new estate, so...
2808021, I honestly think the 2021 team may have been better.
Posted by Ryan M, Wed Jun-19-24 08:05 PM
But the injuries killed em. Obviously the offseason was almost nonexistent. Ah well.

But yeah. I’m guessing it’s gonna be LaVine, Dejonte, or…Trae. Blah.
2808066, I could see that
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Sat Jun-22-24 12:30 AM
If AD and Bron don't get hurt, I think they were capable of making a run to the Finals or at least the WCF.

Either way, those two years were the best iterations of this version of the team. I don't see Rob getting the right fits around the stars.

As it is now, we'd be good if we were a Play-In team.
2808023, It just won't happen until Bron's gone.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Jun-20-24 01:34 AM
There's SO much money on the books. And they don't have their 2025 or 2027 picks either. Just gonna have to wait it out.

If Bron retires after this season, you eject Rui and Gabe Vincent in a heartbeat, you keep Reaves and Vanderbilt (because their contracts are pretty great, honestly), and you build around AD, because, let's face it, unless he plays another season or two like last year's, it's unlikely someone will want to trade for the right to pay 35-year-old AD 70 million dollars. But you'd have a ton of cap space, a few future picks, and expiring Rui and Vincent deals to play with in the trade market and free agency. It'll turn fast.

Just not next year, lol.
2808030, JJ Redick is officially the next LA Lakers head coach. 4 year deal.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Jun-20-24 02:07 PM
Woj says he's putting together a staff to surround him with experience. Fingers crossed this works out for him.
2808031, Unserious franchise.
Posted by Ryan M, Thu Jun-20-24 02:29 PM
This is so stupid.
2808032, I'm somewhat curious what the expectations will be going forward.
Posted by Numba_33, Thu Jun-20-24 02:35 PM
I say somewhat because all of my attention next season will be on my Knicks as this offseason will be a pivotal one, but enough about them. I bring up the expectations thing because I didn't watch the Lakers enough to know if Darvin Ham was in fact trash as a head coach and if Reddick will be that much better than him to exceed whatever expectations Ham didn't meet.

I have to assume Reddick is smart enough to know all eyes will be on him since him and LeBron already have that podcast they started up together coupled with the fact he's so green as a head coach.
2808039, Lakers entering their 2000s Knicks era
Posted by Nodima, Thu Jun-20-24 03:08 PM
2808042, RE: Lakers entering their 2000s Knicks era
Posted by Numba_33, Thu Jun-20-24 03:16 PM
>

https://tinyurl.com/2tk75bww
2808033, bwahahahahahaha
Posted by Stadiq, Thu Jun-20-24 02:39 PM

This dude legit kissed Bron's ass all the way to the head coaching gig of the LA Lakers. Unfucking real.

>Woj says he's putting together a staff to surround him with
>experience. Fingers crossed this works out for him.

Wait...why? Why do you hope it works out for *him*?

There are qualified candidates out there. There are other former players out there with coaching experience.

They just don't have the right complexion and experience kissing Lebron's ass.

Its okay to turn down a job. Its ok to know that your privilege + friendship shouldn't mean you take a job. Its okay to have self awareness and bow out.

Lakers shouldn't have offered it, but he shouldn't accept either. No reason to "pull" for this type of arrogance.

Either way, the Lakers are in shambles. Damn, Lebron and his team really helped sink the LA Lakers for years to come. Crazy.

This is loser, legacy-ruining stuff.

2808037, if someone is throwing a bag at me i'm catching it
Posted by bearfield, Thu Jun-20-24 02:53 PM
>Lakers shouldn't have offered it, but he shouldn't accept
>either. No reason to "pull" for this type of arrogance.

*and* he has a good chance of pulling a full Monty and getting canned in a year if the lakers underperform but still getting paid some or all of the remaining years on the contract. i'm taking that job if i'm reddick 10/10 times. job probably should have gone to a coach with more experience and qualifications but that's on the FO
2808038, Money and wealthy are nice, sure.
Posted by Numba_33, Thu Jun-20-24 02:59 PM
But there is also the risk of JJ completely embarrassing himself and making it extremely hard to get another head coaching gig if that occurs. Examples of ex-player first time head coaches with no NBA head or assistant coaching experience getting canned and fading away to Bolivian I can think of are Steve Nash and Derek Fisher.

Reddick is a smart dude, so I have to imagine he knows that's part of the risk of taking this job.
2808047, maybe he doesn't have designs on coaching until a decade from now
Posted by bearfield, Thu Jun-20-24 04:08 PM
and this is a good litmus test for him. and it's not like "ex head coach of the lakers" will tarnish his podcast or broadcasting careers. i agree he's unqualified but there aren't many reasons in my mind why he shouldn't take this once in a lifetime opportunity
2808054, I agree that he should've taken the offer. it'll be unreal pressure to get
Posted by tariqhu, Thu Jun-20-24 10:27 PM
the team going in the right direction.

the bigger problem, as mentioned earlier, the lakers never should've made an offer to him. maybe this is a stop-gap til bron retires? maybe they can both leave at the same time lol

hopefully, I'm wrong, but don't see how this helps anything besides jj's pockets.
2808041, LeGM happy.
Posted by PROMO, Thu Jun-20-24 03:16 PM
that's all that really matters with regards to the Lakers right now.

let's see how this works out.
2808043, Steve Nash is 500x the player and basketball mind that Reddick is
Posted by guru0509, Thu Jun-20-24 03:34 PM

...and he failed miserably with 2 hall of famers and Kyrie

good luck lol
2808051, Lake Show is back!!!!!
Posted by Kira, Thu Jun-20-24 04:35 PM
Jeanie please take control of your team from Klutch Sports.
2808069, Podcast white guy over Sam Cassell is batshit crazy
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Sat Jun-22-24 11:21 AM
Cassell has put in years of assistant coaching training and cant get the gig over a guy who kissed LeGM's ass. Lakers arent serious
2808076, RE: Podcast white guy with zero experience coaching at any level
Posted by guru0509, Sun Jun-23-24 12:14 AM
>Cassell has put in years of assistant coaching training and
>cant get the gig over a guy who kissed LeGM's ass. Lakers
>arent serious
2808226, Makes his anger at Perk's Joker comments re MVP really cute now
Posted by Beamer6178, Wed Jun-26-24 02:12 PM

since this dude been buddied up with the superstar/gm he's about to start coaching. previous experience: Brooklyn Basketball Academy 2023-24 Volunteer 4th Grade Boys Head Coach. MERIT BASED!
2808048, Bulls sending Alex Caruso to OKC for Josh Giddey....
Posted by Dstl1, Thu Jun-20-24 04:15 PM
bye, Josh.
2808049, Chi town what is you doin!?
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Thu Jun-20-24 04:24 PM
2808050, Assuming legal troubles don't persist, good deal for both.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Jun-20-24 04:33 PM
Obviously if you think Giddey is going to go to jail at some point-- or will continue to pursue activities for which he might go to jail-- then it's a terrible deal, lol. But Chicago's miles from real contention, and Giddey's a 21 year old averaging 14/7/6 for his career.

Caruso has way more value on a team like OKC than on a team like Chicago, where he's the perfect role player who doesn't need the ball to impact the game, and Giddey has way more value as a high ceiling upside swing on a team like Chicago than on a team like OKC. So, y'know, if Giddey can not be a total dumbass off the court, then it should work out for both teams.

And obviously, in the short term, it's a huge come up for OKC, for whom Caruso is just a perfect fit.
2808053, I agree w/ all of this.
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Thu Jun-20-24 07:42 PM
Bulls reddit is overreacting because the trade didn't come with picks.
But an injury prone 30 year old Caruso isn't gonna fetch that.
Honestly, the moves the Bulls are making now they should have started two years ago.

As for Giddy, I don't like that the Bulls are adding another player that's not a threat
behind the arc, but Giddy is young and an additional play maker.
2808057, I mean, I think Caruso *could've* fetched picks. Maybe even two.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Jun-21-24 04:01 PM
But I think the teams that would've dealt a pick or two for Caruso would've been contender teams for whom the picks would've likely been in the 20s-- and the odds that you find a guy averaging 14/7/6 by age 21 in the NBA even with two swings of the bat in the 20s are so incredibly small. You'd need a top 10 type pick-- and teams with likely top 10 picks aren't interested in dealing them for a season of Alex Caruso.

The more interesting thing about this, that I've seen a few people bring up, is the upcoming Giddey extension. Because Giddey's people are gonna ask for a big number given his age and stats-- and they likely know that the Bulls can't just let Giddey walk for nothing after dealing Caruso for him. So the Bulls are presumably all in on the Josh Giddey experience. So it's interesting to dive into that idea as it pertains to the rest of the roster (and roster moves) going forward.
2808052, idk that this is the trade they need but ridding giddey with it is good
Posted by bearfield, Thu Jun-20-24 04:55 PM
feel like OKC is overloaded with <= 6'5" defenders already
2808056, Celtics are primed to have the biggest payroll in history in short order
Posted by Lach, Fri Jun-21-24 07:53 AM
It is what it is, but I'm glad finally they've delivered a chip.
2808058, Annual contention is expensive!
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Jun-21-24 04:03 PM
Always a little risky if something unexpected and essentially career-ending happens, but once you have a championship core, let the billionaires pay to keep them together. The fans'll be happy, and the players have earned it.
2808060, Thems the breaks. Warriors got 4 out of it.
Posted by Ryan M, Fri Jun-21-24 05:04 PM
Shit falls apart, but in the interim you guys are set without many roster questions for the next few years which has to feel nice.
2808063, Yeah I can't complain
Posted by Lach, Fri Jun-21-24 05:37 PM
The only concern moving forward is how we replace Horford's production next summer when he retires. That second apron is gonna make it tough to add a replacement. But outside of that, the core should be set for years.
2808065, If you guys stay contending…
Posted by Ryan M, Fri Jun-21-24 07:35 PM
I have no doubt a good,cheap vet big will come like Rasheed in 2010
2808078, Do you guys think Jimmy Butler will resign with Miami?
Posted by guru0509, Sun Jun-23-24 11:47 AM
Pat Rileys very public "keep your mouth shut if youre not playing" comments to Jimmy when he commented on the Knicks series was kind of eyebrow raising lol, and part of me thinks jimmy wanted to snap back but had to bite his tongue given its a contract year

edit https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/pat-riley-says-jimmy-butler-shouldve-kept-his-mouth-shut-about-heat-vs-celtics-addresses-potential-trade/

35, aging, and plays a rugged style that leads to injuries but hes looking for max numbers...

IDK, something tells me Pat Riley would rather not give out that kind of bag

>Monty fired, which is insane, but expected. I’d say Cavs is
>the smart choice as far as open jobs are, but let’s be real.
>Wherever he goes he’ll be fired in 4 years if he’s lucky.
>
>
>Coaching is a great gig if you want to get paid to fuck off,
>but not if you want long term stability.
>
>https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/40385485/sources-pistons-fire-coach-monty-williams-one-season
2808090, If I were them I'd test the waters on a trade this summer
Posted by Lach, Mon Jun-24-24 12:30 PM
Definitely wouldn't re-sign him at this age and injury history. Maybe ATL would want his leadership? Try to snag Murray from them?
2808079, re: the JJ hire -- what else should the Lakers have done?
Posted by Vex_id, Sun Jun-23-24 12:05 PM
After Hurley turned down the offer, who should they have hired instead of JJ? It's not as if they had a wide field of options, and they need a coaching overhaul not just for the immediate, but for the long-term.

While the comparison to Riley is imperfect, it's also the case that critics excoriated the Lakers for making that hire as Riles was unproven, "too young", and had no remarkable substantive coaching experience.

But the comparison I think is more apt is to Steve Kerr, who also was an analyst before becoming a coach, and was clowned when the hire was made. "Wasn't a great player"; "no experience"; "too many better coaches available" etc...

Both JJ & Kerr aren't just meticulous analysts who really relish deep diving into the game, but they also are adept at relationship building and understanding personalities having both been around great players and coaches at the highest level. Both also aren't afraid to speak their minds and don't shy away from confrontation with great players.

There will be rough moments as JJ is being thrown to a high controversy franchise with win-now expectations (even if those expectations are overblown/unfair for a team that's had to play-in to the playoffs of recent vintage) - but he knows the modern game, has fostered great relationships wherever he's been, clearly has a drive to analyze and deeply study the game/strategy/matchups/sets etc. - and I think he'll be able to handle the intense learning curve/media frenzy given his competitive nature.

Also - for those who watched the Lakers consistently in the Ham era, they grew weary of seeing other teams constantly run successful sets and adjust, while the Lakers just stood still with questionable (at best) rotations and no viable sets; no quality sets out of timeouts; stubbornly starting/holding on to rotations that weren't bearing fruit etc. It became glaringly clear that the Lakers had a coaching disadvantage against nearly every team they faced.

Will JJ solve that? Unclear, but the players lost faith in Ham, and a change had to occur. Lakers are betting on the young, dynamic new guy - and that's also sort of on-brand for the franchise.

Just because the resume is light doesn't mean he won't succeed. I'm more bullish on the Redick era. Sure, it's a gamble, but when you look at the field of options available, the hire makes more sense. I think there will be more buy-in from the players, and that could give Redick the timeline needed to excel.
2808082, You really ignoring Kerr in the front office for awhile?
Posted by Ryan M, Sun Jun-23-24 05:08 PM
2808083, No the FO experience in Phoenix is obviously relevant
Posted by Vex_id, Sun Jun-23-24 05:40 PM
but again - does being a minority owner of a team and a GM for a few years prepare you to be a head coach? Not too many former GMs/Execs out there who went on to become successful coaches.

Point is that Kerr also didn't have substantive coaching experience prior to GS, but many predicted he'd be successful nonetheless not just because of his time as an exec and an analyst (he was an analyst after his time with Phoenix, so he was also hired while working as an analyst) - but because of who he was and the aggregate non-coaching experience/attributes he brought to the table.

But the question remains: who should the Lakers have hired instead? Cassell? Monty?
2808084, Thing is…who knows?
Posted by Ryan M, Sun Jun-23-24 08:06 PM
He could be Pat Riley, Kerr, or even Kidd…but the money is on that he’s more Steve Nash or Luke Walton (who had much more experience, obv). We don’t REALLY know enough about how these coaches really work outside of track record. There’s no point in being mad about it, but he’s absolutely set up for failure - this just isn’t really a desirable job. I’m ok with going with a new dude who isn’t a retread like Monty, etc but would have honestly preferred someone who hasn’t been a HC but has been an assistant like Sam Cassell.

I also liked Ham more than most tho so…
2808085, ^^^ yup.
Posted by tariqhu, Sun Jun-23-24 10:18 PM
this job is a dumpster fir right now. I don't see how jj helps. I would've also preferred Cassell.

comparing jj to Kerr or Kidd doesn't seem fair. those two have chip experience. kerr was a key role player the greatest teams/players ever, while kidd was also one of the best at during his time. jj was none of that.

I like jj as a player, analyst, even podcaster. just don't think this was the right move for the team.

again, hopefully I'm wrong.

2808158, This is the 8th Laker coach in 12 years.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Jun-24-24 06:33 PM
All 7 of the previous coaches had serious coaching experience, and they were still swiftly shown the door. May as well try one without coaching experience!

(I'm 75% joking.)
2808168, While this is true - how many of those are coaching right today?
Posted by Ryan M, Mon Jun-24-24 07:37 PM
2808170, ... I'd say five of the last seven?
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Jun-24-24 08:13 PM
Brown's a head coach, Ham's an assistant for the Bucks, Walton's an assistant for the Cavs, Vogel was a head coach less than two months ago and will undoubtedly be on someone's staff before next season, and D'Antoni is a coaching advisor for the Pels (which, given his age, makes sense imo).

Byron Scott's the only one who doesn't seem to be working in basketball anymore.
2808201, You’re correct.
Posted by Ryan M, Tue Jun-25-24 03:29 PM
I only thought Brown had a job to be honest. Forgot Ham is with the Bucks, didn’t even remember Luke or Mike Dantoni had a job, and of course Vogel just got fired. My bad.
2808089, Sam Cassell, Adrian Griffin, Kenny Atkinson, and James Borrego
Posted by Kira, Mon Jun-24-24 11:27 AM
are better coaching candidates than JJ Redick. Sam Cassell has 15 years of NBA coaching experience. Adrian's last team fired him over a losing streak despite a winning record. Kenny Atkinson and James Borrego have more experience than JJ as well.

None of those candidates come with baggage like an abortion contract, alleged n word use, or trashing AD in the media.

Word on the street is JJ is one of the lowest paid coaches in the league as he should be.

2808096, RE: Sam Cassell, Adrian Griffin, Kenny Atkinson, and James Borrego
Posted by Vex_id, Mon Jun-24-24 04:06 PM
>None of those candidates come with baggage like an abortion
>contract, alleged n word use, or trashing AD in the media.

"Alleged n word use"? Can you show your work on that?

>Word on the street is JJ is one of the lowest paid coaches in
>the league as he should be.

Lakers historically haven't come out of pocket with top dollar offers (one of the reasons they missed out on Ty Lue) - but in this instance it makes sense for JJ to not lead the way in terms of salary. Lakers didn't offer him as much as they offered Hurley. He also still took the job even after the Lakers went big-game hunting with Hurley to where JJ had to accept being plan B. Those are both good signs IMO suggesting JJ is coming in knowing he has a lot to prove and not expecting to be courted as if he's already a made man as a coach.

-->
2808217, here's the story.
Posted by tariqhu, Wed Jun-26-24 08:27 AM
https://x.com/halleemah/status/1805634597108998650

Halleemah Nash
@halleemah
I’ve only been called the N word to my face by a white man once in my life and it was on the campus of Duke University while I was doing work with the basketball team. And today he was named the new head coach of the Los Angeles Lakers. What a world.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2024/6/25/24186108/jj-redick-denies-n-word-use-slur-allegations-lakers-coach

Within a few hours, TMZ had gotten a denial of the story from Redick’s team:

We reached out to Redick’s camp for a response to the claim ... and they completely shut it down.

“No, it never happened,” a spokesperson tells TMZ Sports
2808097, JJ is making the same as Doc, Nurse, Malone, Kidd
Posted by Ryan M, Mon Jun-24-24 04:11 PM
And more than Carlisle and what Lue made this year.

He’s tied for 7th highest paid in the league.
2808203, LMAO@word on the street, AKA I just made this up, just now
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Jun-25-24 05:29 PM
2808088, so Kenny Atkinson it is!
Posted by Dr Claw, Mon Jun-24-24 10:28 AM
I am not mad at this pick.

The offense will be better. Mobley and Allen will be even better with him as coach.

He got the rawest of deals due to The Snake and Kyrie when he was in "Woke-Man" mode.

Now he will get the chance to do it again with a team that is already good but has some kinks to work out.

Now for Donovan to re-sign so we can really get moving.

(I hope Kenny's development reputation doesn't mean the Cavs pick some jabroni like Furphy though)
2808257, Amazing coach , Durant/ Kyrie dumb azz wanted Dandre Jordan over Allen
Posted by guru0509, Thu Jun-27-24 10:26 PM
And when he told them to fuck off bc that’s a dumb idea they canned him smh
2808208, the Knicks just traded away the next decade for Mikal Bridges
Posted by Tiger Woods, Tue Jun-25-24 09:06 PM
2808209, Four unprotected firsts and a pick from the Bucks?
Posted by mrhood75, Tue Jun-25-24 09:14 PM
For their sake, they need to be in the championship picture or they look like assholes. Again.
2808212, This is absolutely a "we're all in" move.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Jun-26-24 12:20 AM
I... kinda don't think it's enough? But hey, it's probably the most relevant the Knicks have been since, like, Peak Carmelo.
2808214, Totally agree.
Posted by Ryan M, Wed Jun-26-24 04:56 AM
I respect the move. And hell…could he be their missing piece? Sure! It’s not LIKELY, but it’s possible. He’s a nice piece but I cannot think this gets them past Boston even slightly.
2808218, Depending on the final roster
Posted by Numba_33, Wed Jun-26-24 09:16 AM
the Knicks should have better depth than Boston; but like I said in my response to the trade, I want to wait until the Knicks make all their moves before opining on this trade.

As it stands today, Boston's starting five is still a notch above the other Eastern conference teams, especially defensively.
2808221, half the team will be dealing with soft tissue issues by Valentine's Day
Posted by Tiger Woods, Wed Jun-26-24 12:44 PM
2808222, let’s assume all the teams in the east are fully healthy
Posted by guru0509, Wed Jun-26-24 02:01 PM
>
They’re not better than
Boston
Philly
Milwaukee

Are they better than
Cleveland
Miami
Orlando

??

Even that is debateable

I like this trade for us . Let them live out their frat boy collegiate fantasies for a yearly second round exit while we rebuild for a stable future devoid of star chasing and failing or depending on role players (albeit very good ) like mikael bridges to lead us to the promised land

Win win for everyone
2808227, more relevant easily. Peak Melo had JR Smith as a running mate.
Posted by Cenario, Wed Jun-26-24 02:13 PM
2808210, Can the Knicks re-sign OG?
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Tue Jun-25-24 10:08 PM
I assume Robinson is gone.
2808224, yes. likely they let I-Hart walk
Posted by Dr Claw, Wed Jun-26-24 02:08 PM
since they can only offer him so much, and they go after Drummond or someone similar.

2808215, We got rid of a role player for 4 unprotected firsts? Lmfao Knicks dumb af
Posted by guru0509, Wed Jun-26-24 06:38 AM
>
2808216, IMO, the Knicks gave up a lot
Posted by Numba_33, Wed Jun-26-24 07:31 AM
especially if it's true that Mikal recently asked to get traded to the Knicks, but I'll wait until the Knicks are done making moves before giving any kind of final judgement on this trade.

I'm most interested in two aspects now for the Knicks 1) what the final roster will look like after all major moves are done and 2) if the Knicks will be above the second apron after all is said and done.
2808219, the amount of draft capital they gave up for Bridges is crazy.
Posted by PROMO, Wed Jun-26-24 09:51 AM
basically Gobert level, and everyone thought that was WILD.
2808237, OG coming back..5/212.5
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Jun-26-24 06:53 PM
2808225, now that the Nets are finally moving on, Cam Johnson will be ours
Posted by Dr Claw, Wed Jun-26-24 02:09 PM
I don't even care if the Cavs give up #20 for him.

2808235, Won't the Nets want draft picks?
Posted by Numba_33, Wed Jun-26-24 03:12 PM
I'm assuming the Nets will ask for picks for their players outside of Ben Simmons as a condition for taking part in their fire sale; I could be wrong of course.
2808236, Seeing "experts" connecting PG with Golden State. You like that? (c)
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Jun-26-24 03:30 PM
2808238, This crew on ESPN doing the draft ain’t it.
Posted by Beezo, Wed Jun-26-24 07:10 PM
2808239, Knecht falling to the Lakers is massive, man.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Jun-26-24 09:01 PM
I think he’s a top 5 prospect in this class. Terrific scorer and floor spacer.
2808240, Agreed
Posted by Beezo, Wed Jun-26-24 09:03 PM
>I think he’s a top 5 prospect in this class. Terrific
>scorer and floor spacer.
2808254, Perfect storm of circumstances for the Lakers with this pick
Posted by Vex_id, Thu Jun-27-24 08:41 PM
Since opening the flood gates for draft eligibility in terms of age, most lottery teams are in player-development mode and drafting younger and younger players.

Knecth's age (being 23 on draft day) is a huge advantage for the Lakers (been through adversity, couple more years of maturity etc..) while other teams want younger guys with empty slates to draw on. I thought Charlotte would take him, but I feel like they had PTSD from bad picks (namely Morrison) and passed on Knecht.

This was as good of a pick as the Lakers could've dreamed of given the scenario.
-->
2808266, happy for our guy
Posted by will_5198, Fri Jun-28-24 10:25 AM
Knecht being on the Lakers could easily make him the most high-profile NBA player from Tennessee since Allan Houston was on the Knicks
2808241, #9! Good for you Zach, no one deserves it more
Posted by calminvasion, Wed Jun-26-24 09:14 PM
Just love this dude, he’ll have a 10 year career, no one works harder, and he we’ll finda profitable niche
2808242, easily. as someone said, at worst he's a better Boban.
Posted by PROMO, Thu Jun-27-24 09:40 AM
if Boban can make a 10 year career in the NBA, Edey can for sure.
2808256, It’s lazy stupid comparison
Posted by calminvasion, Thu Jun-27-24 09:42 PM
He’s closer to Yao than he is to boban

I’m hyped, think he’s gonna play to his draft position
2808260, I do wish he went to OKC
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Fri Jun-28-24 06:08 AM
2808268, God, I do too...we make the Finals with him, this season..
Posted by Dstl1, Fri Jun-28-24 10:48 AM
we got abused so badly, up front.
2808269, Yao?!?!? I dunno about that.
Posted by PROMO, Fri Jun-28-24 10:49 AM
We'll see.

My point was you mentioned him having a 10 year career. I was saying he SHOULD do that standing on his head with the Boban comparison, that's all.
2808282, Wasn’t at you, but have heard it repeated
Posted by calminvasion, Sat Jun-29-24 09:59 AM
And it is dumb, just look at how they move. He’s not Yao, but I 100% stand by him being close to Yao than to Boban.

But yeah, my10 year comment was underselling it

I can’t imagine anyone is invested enough to finish something this long and detailed, I’m biased and the target audience, but a great data backed defense of the most dominant college player in 40 years:

https://theswishtheory.com/2024-nba-draft-articles/2024/06/the-edey-enigma-a-systematic-defense-of-a-generational-talent/
2808294, it really depends on how (and how much) a team uses him...
Posted by PROMO, Sat Jun-29-24 02:05 PM
only because he's sort of a relic to a type of NBA that barely exists anymore. that doesn't mean he has no place in the league.

but, if used right, he should be a career 14 and 10 guy at worst. definitely better than Boban.
2808291, he has some similarities to Jonas V, who has done time in Memphis
Posted by Dr Claw, Sat Jun-29-24 01:29 PM
this will allow JJJ to actually play PF because he's ass as a full-time center eventually.
2808244, Laughing at the talking heads on ESPN trying to justify this Laker mess
Posted by Beezo, Thu Jun-27-24 05:18 PM
2808245, If Brawn has any integrity, he'll take a 20 million pay cut for this
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Jun-27-24 05:22 PM
2808246, If the kid is on the opening day roster than the team is an even less serious…
Posted by mrhood75, Thu Jun-27-24 05:49 PM
…organization than they appear to be. Which is saying something.
2808247, They're a bunch of star fucking nepobabies
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Jun-27-24 05:55 PM
It's a fucking joke. I hope for a large scale fan revolt against Jeanie and/or a scandal or something, because that's probably the best chance we have of them selling the team.
2808249, Doing this much appeasing for a 40 yr old player is NUTS
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Thu Jun-27-24 06:19 PM
Lakers are not serious about winning anytime soon
2808250, Eh. The more I think about it, it’s not a bad pick.
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Jun-27-24 06:52 PM
I’m annoyed by it but it’s largely inconsequential the
more I think about it.

Had they spent the 17, yeah. 

But at 55, the odds were seriously stacked against anyone at
that number.

At least there’s some tangible upside to drafting him.

I’m firmly in the camp that wants a full scale teardown from
ownership down to management, but that ain’t happening and
we’re locked into the Lebron era until he leaves. 

It’s not that big a deal the more I think about it. D
2808251, sons of former players have a good track record in the league
Posted by fif, Thu Jun-27-24 07:26 PM
(no data on sons of current players)

so i think fair to say he has a better chance of success than
an exact clone with the exact same on-court performance
history who wasn't raised by lebron james.

point 2: rob pelinka should be fired.
2808252, at least 10x better chance
Posted by cgonz00cc, Thu Jun-27-24 07:41 PM
unfortunately the clone's chance is zero, and 10×0 still
equals zero
2808261, I know y'all are on the internet and shit
Posted by Rjcc, Fri Jun-28-24 08:23 AM
but like

it's not

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
2808253, Bronny is both a terrible pick and a hugely inspiring story
Posted by Tiger Woods, Thu Jun-27-24 08:18 PM
On one hand, through sheer nepo-will Lebron campaigned/conned his son into the league. There’s not a one credible scout who thinks this kid is a worthwhile pro prospect. That’s wild that Bron was able to flex his muscle to such an extant - hold the Lakers hostage to the point of hiring his podcast cohost as coach and drafting his son IN THE SAME WEEK.

But fuck man I just watxhed Savannah’s reaction and my hate was sort of extinguished. Like in the end , Lebron exceeded even the loftiest competitive expectations, never broke the law or embarrassed the league, and was a committed family man. And look at the dream he just realized - he came in the league at 18 and now he’s gonna play NBA ball with his son. I can only say good for him.

Lakers are a 5.5 who look in the mirror and see a 10. They have no real plan , no depth, not enough shooters , and are stuck in an already stacked and consistently improving West. It’s fun to see the delusion get more and more inflated by the year.
2808255, I mean, I don't blame the kid for pursuing his dreams...
Posted by mrhood75, Thu Jun-27-24 09:07 PM
...to play in the NBA. He was clearly good enough to play at a D1 school.

And I don't blame his father for helping his kid pursue his dreams, or for wanting to play together on the same team with his son.

But I do expect the Lakers to be a serious organization. And they in all likelihood could have not spent a pick on the kid and just signed him after the draft was over. And it would have been the same feel good story.

And they will be doing the kid no favors if he's on the opening day roster instead of in the G-League/D-League/whatever they're calling it these days so he can develop his game.

Regardless, by all accounts Bryce is the better prospect. So when he eventually makes the league, all of this will be a footnote.

2808267, LeBron put it out there two years ago
Posted by will_5198, Fri Jun-28-24 10:30 AM
he said he would be playing with his son, period. Lakers (or anyone who wanted to just draft Bronny) could have called his bluff, and they didn't.

nothing really to get mad about, all parties are on board with the decision and nobody has a "right" to be in the NBA (if we are talking about the legit prospects the Lakers may have passed on). if LA wants to full out their roster with Marines, they can do that too.
2808258, props to Bron and Bronny, fuck all the naysayers
Posted by seasoned vet, Thu Jun-27-24 11:12 PM
2808259, People acting like Bronny was taken with the #17 pick
Posted by justin_scott, Fri Jun-28-24 03:54 AM
#55 is always a crapshoot. People acting like the Lakers passed on a guaranteed player for Bronny. Most people couldn’t even name on player they should have taken instead.
2808262, …..it’s pure nepotism, though
Posted by DJR, Fri Jun-28-24 08:41 AM
He averaged 5 ppg and shot 37%. Zero business getting drafted, on his own merits.

Lakers are purely about names and star power at this point. Not at all a serious franchise.
2808263, The Buss kids own the team because they inherited it from their dad.
Posted by Cold Truth, Fri Jun-28-24 08:56 AM
Jeanie Buss owning and ultimately running the premier franchise in the NBA- and srguabky top 3 in all of pro sports- is an exponentially more insane and consequential example of nepotism.

Bronny was the last pick in the draft.

Yes, that sucks for the kids who had a shot at that opportunity based on their ability and not their dad.

But like Bronny’s draft position, it’s dead last on the list of problems with this team.

This team sucks for so many more significant reasons, this one doesn’t even register as an actual problem.
2808264, I agree
Posted by DJR, Fri Jun-28-24 09:22 AM
We all know the 55th pick most likely isn’t making it anyway. I’m not mad about it and I agree that big picture, it doesn’t move the needle.

I just want to make sure people are honest about what it is. You don’t get drafted as a guard that averaged 5 ppg on 37% because you can jump pretty high.
2808289, yeah. I mean, NEPOTISM BAD but bro. the #55 pick rarely does shit
Posted by Dr Claw, Sat Jun-29-24 01:26 PM
if they had done that @ 17 instead of getting a player like "XBOX" Knecht (who surprisingly dropped) they would be complete dumbasses

love the move personally because it shuts up those obnoxious LeBronies in my team's fanbase
2808271, So what of this woman who says JJ called her a nigger in college?
Posted by Beamer6178, Fri Jun-28-24 10:55 AM
timing is always interesting and he's been on TV for a minute.

In line with the disturbing trend of Black people caping for white folks racist or racially suspect behavior, I can almost guarantee that LeBron says "JJ doesn't have a racist bone in his body" or some shit but prove me wrong Nepo/Crony king!
2808277, This is his ex-girl from college
Posted by mrhood75, Fri Jun-28-24 05:57 PM
She first made waves about a decade ago when she said Reddick made her sign an "abortion contract." That was also around the time she first said he used anti-Black and anti-Hispanic racial slurs. She's popped again right around his name started to be thrown around to be the Lakers coach, and has said she has copies of the e-mails where he used the language.
2808278, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X36BYKKqQ8w
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Fri Jun-28-24 06:00 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X36BYKKqQ8w
2808279, The Dejounte/Tre experiment over...
Posted by Dstl1, Fri Jun-28-24 06:18 PM
Dejounte to the Pels for Nance Jr, a 25 first, via the Lakers and a 27 first, via New Orleans/Milwaukee.
2808290, good move for Pels
Posted by Dr Claw, Sat Jun-29-24 01:27 PM
the closer that CJ is moved to the 6th man the better they will be.

Don't expect Nance Jr to remain with them

Daniels is part of the new wing movement

DEANDRE HUNTER WE COMIN FOR YOU
2808296, Is Golden State about to lose Klay and get PG?
Posted by Dstl1, Sat Jun-29-24 05:18 PM
2808297, I’m pretty sure PG opting out means hes no longer an option
Posted by mrhood75, Sat Jun-29-24 07:44 PM
I believe that they would needed a sign a trade to bring him in (Have CP3 opt in, then package him and Kuminga). That doesnt seem to be on the table anymore.

As for Klay leaving, I’ll believe it when it happens.
2808298, Right on, that makes sense, regarding the opt out..
Posted by Dstl1, Sat Jun-29-24 07:53 PM
What's the temperature of Warrior Nation on Klay leaving? Do most folk you encounter feel like you do?
2808302, Yeah, I’d say so
Posted by mrhood75, Sat Jun-29-24 11:53 PM
>What's the temperature of Warrior Nation on Klay leaving? Do
>most folk you encounter feel like you do?

It’s REALLY hard to picture Klay in anything but a Warriors uniform. There’s the belief that he’s doing all of this to make sure the team doesn’t try to short change him.

It’s hard to envision what the post season moves would be like if he leaves. They’re already talking about trading Wiggins for Portis. With PG off the table, unless they find some other player to trade for, I assume that they just cut loose CP3. Don’t know what would happen after that, besides counting on Kuminga to further level up and be legit #2 scoring option.

If Klay leaves, it’s going to really have to be for personal reasons, because he won’t get more money anywhere else.