Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectNo chance. Committee had their 1s locked in by, like, Friday morning.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2799552&mesg_id=2805877
2805877, No chance. Committee had their 1s locked in by, like, Friday morning.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sun Mar-17-24 02:39 PM
These Saturday and Sunday-- and maybe even Friday-- results rarely move the needle much for the high seeds. They set those early, because they don't wanna be bothered with all the various permutations of what could happen when Team X wins and Team Y loses.

(Which is, of course, bullshit, but it's the ramifications of selection by human committee.)

So I don't think anyone was even whispering about the chances of an ISU 1 seed before last night. I think it's Purdue, Houston, UConn, and one of UNC/Arizona/Tennessee. If you made me guess right today, I'd probably pick UNC.

(UNC's in a weird spot, because if you're the 1 seed, you're going out west and lined up opposite actual west coast teams like Arizona in all likelihood. But if you're the best 2, you're happier geographically, but you're lined up opposite UConn in Boston or Houston in Dallas. And that would also suck. Obviously no one's heart bleeds for a borderline 1 seed, least of all mine, but they're in this weird situation where anything they get will feel disadvantageous in one way or the other.)