Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectRE: Anybody got any good "actually played against a legend" stories?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2789914&mesg_id=2789946
2789946, RE: Anybody got any good "actually played against a legend" stories?
Posted by MaxPtah, Wed May-10-23 08:32 AM
I have two instances:

In the first one I played against a future Super Bowl starting QB and a future NBA Champion. Played against Rex Grossman and Tayshun Prince in an AAU tournament back in 92-93 in Utah. Can't tell you anything about the games cause I don't remember them too much, but some years after that I still had the program and the rosters of the teams we played and we played both of their teams. *wouldn't call Rex a legend, but it was pretty cool to see that lol

The second one I played against a HOFer, 3 high first round draft picks, and a second round pick (who should've been a first). My hs coach is real tight with Penny, so when Penny would have his charity games in the off-season they practiced in our gym. Each year our coach let the seniors play in the pick up games as sort of a gift/thanks for the season. So my senior year I was on the court with Gary Payton, Penny, Nick Anderson, Lorenzen Wright, and Nick Van Exel. One play I was guarding Tony Harris (Tennessee) on the perimeter and our guard was on Lorenzen (I was a severely undersized 4/5 lol) and as I slacked off Lorenzen came and set a pick on my left. I called switch and then my mind went off into la la land as I just aimlessly backed off. Tony threw a lob and as I turned around Lorenzen caught me under the basket lol. Embarrassed but not embarrassed.