Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectAnybody got any good "actually played against a legend" stories?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2789914&mesg_id=2789914
2789914, Anybody got any good "actually played against a legend" stories?
Posted by Walleye, Tue May-09-23 08:38 PM
I got worked in a 4x200m leg by Bernard Williams, and blown off the track in workouts by Pascal Dobert and Balazs Koranyi. But only one of those guys is a big deal, and it's track so there's not much of a story beyond "Bernard Williams got the baton in front of me and handed it off to his teammates much further in front of me."

But the team I coach has to deal with a kid who just ran the best Penn relays 400m split in years at 45.09, and just set the US all-time #3 for freshmen at 46.really-low. When he races, it looks like somebody has edited so he's moving faster than everybody else. Like, it almost literally looks fake. Lots of freshmen prodigies don't pan out, obviously - but if the standard here is "legend" and not "NCAA All-American" or "Olympian" or something similarly tangible then this guy is pretty much already a legend. Obea Moore knows that doing something amazing at Penn Relays means you'll be remembered forever.

Anyhow, beating him is probably impossible. Beating his team will take a lot of good luck. But I bet a few of my kids will be telling people they lost to Quincy Wilson in a few years.