Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectWhat, Bob Huggins said some crazy old man shit?!?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2789843
2789843, What, Bob Huggins said some crazy old man shit?!?
Posted by theMindofFury, Tue May-09-23 11:49 AM
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/college/university-of-cincinnati/2023/05/08/bob-huggins-social-media-reacts-on-air-homophobic-slur/70197123007/
2789846, RE: What, Bob Huggins said some crazy old man shit?!?
Posted by theMindofFury, Tue May-09-23 11:55 AM
And again, like all these mfers who let these "insensitive, abhorrent" words slip out, he says this shit all the time.
2789847, yeah that was wild.
Posted by PROMO, Tue May-09-23 11:57 AM
you'd think he's coached his last game but it's West Virginia, right?
2789849, lmao.. sports radio in Charlotte kept asking if he was fired
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue May-09-23 11:59 AM
no one had the stones to say “but its WV”

2789850, RE: What, Bob Huggins said some crazy old man shit?!?
Posted by theMindofFury, Tue May-09-23 12:01 PM
He's won a single tournament game in the past 5 years. Perfect time to clip him for cause and not have to pay his ass.
2789872, I loved him at CINCI
Posted by guru0509, Tue May-09-23 01:20 PM
Kenyon Martin still my fav player ever , I was literally sick when he broke his leg comference USA tournament (soph year of Hs)

Begged my parents to let me stay home from school bc I talked so much shit about how UC was winning the whole tournament lol

>He's won a single tournament game in the past 5 years.
>Perfect time to clip him for cause and not have to pay his
>ass.
2789873, didnt they make a regional in 2018?
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue May-09-23 01:26 PM
not to get technical but they canceled the tourney 1 year due to the pandemic

also not a fan of picking the year after a few wins to start a metric.

but he should be fired..

he wont though because they have a serious influx of talent from the portal. Doubt the school would risk losing those players unless they make the push for it.
2789883, Before Huggins, WVU made it past the first round six times. Total.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue May-09-23 01:44 PM
Don't get me wrong, he's definitely struggled to fully adjust to the changing dynamics of today's game... but then again, they were top 10 in KenPom in the COVID-canceled season, on the way to a 5 or 6 seed based on record-- and top 25 in KenPom in 2021 and 2023, losing both tournament games those years in one-possession games.

There's a very, very real world in which, the second WVU loses Huggins, they return to irrelevance (especially in a Big 12 that's only going to get stronger).

And although he's going to make 4 mil this coming season, his contract is done after this season IIRC-- and I doubt saving that 4 mil is really WVU's top priority compared to figuring out what they do next and not losing the current roster of recruits.
2789874, Zero tolerance.
Posted by CyrenYoung, Tue May-09-23 01:27 PM

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...
2789879, I imagine they'll do a "this is Huggins' last season" announcement.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue May-09-23 01:37 PM
Because West Virginia brought in some terrific transfers this offseason and, at the end of the day, all a school like West Virginia cares about is winning. So they'll straddle the fence, they'll say Huggy is retiring at the end of the season (which he was likely going to do anyway), they'll suspend him for the first few games, and they'll hope that that's enough.

Which, y'know, maybe it will be for the donors and the people they're most worried about. Mississippi hires Chris Beard mere months after he was deemed too unsavory for *Texas.* Gonzaga suspends Mark Few for a grand total of zero games of relevance after he's arrested on drunk driving. Winning will make people look the other way. It's not right. But it's what it is.
2790001, Million dollar salary reduction, 3 game suspension and sensitivity training
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed May-10-23 03:24 PM
2790015, NOPE.
Posted by CyrenYoung, Wed May-10-23 07:01 PM

2790018, West Virginia. we called it.
Posted by PROMO, Wed May-10-23 07:24 PM
2790101, He used the words he meant to use
Posted by fif, Thu May-11-23 04:10 AM
all the focus is on the gay slur...but the casual anti-catholicism...2nd wave of kkk would be proud
2790136, RE: He used the words he meant to use
Posted by theMindofFury, Thu May-11-23 10:27 AM
Never thought about that part of it. Maybe he just dislikes those particular Catholics (Jesuits). Maybe living in a predominantly Catholic city rubbed him the wrong way after 16 years.

Or maybe he's just an asshole.
2790143, Fuck religion, hes's a fucking bigot...
Posted by CyrenYoung, Thu May-11-23 11:01 AM
..it ain't no more to it. © Biggie

2790280, Zero tolerance!
Posted by fif, Fri May-12-23 12:13 AM
Catholic immigrants were discriminated against, persecuted in ways. This may be an echo of that. I'm not equating the suffering experienced by white immigrants from x y z country to the suffering experienced by enslaved black Americans and their descendants. But discrimination against Catholics did occur. Believe it or not but there are different kinds of white Americans with different sorts of family histories, different relationships to the powers that be
2790281, GTFOHWTBS!
Posted by CyrenYoung, Fri May-12-23 12:17 AM

2790283, What is wrong with you? nm
Posted by fif, Fri May-12-23 12:59 AM
2790286, Lol
Posted by falafel stand pimpin, Fri May-12-23 03:56 AM
2790279, Re:Jesuits
Posted by fif, Fri May-12-23 12:06 AM
Seeing "Jesuitical conspiracy" everywhere is one of the mainstays of anti-Catholic sentiment. Don't know in Huggins' case, but there's a long history. Lot of current anti-immigrant views have roots here (usually unconsciously carried forward today)
2790282, “It’s just name calling” - Dave Chappelle
Posted by allStah, Fri May-12-23 12:38 AM
Paraphrasing

“ You think if I’m hungry, and I go into a KFC and order a 2pc chicken,
and a white man with a KKK hood on says, ‘you want a biscuit with
that, nigger’ ….you think I’m going to turn around and walk out?…Not if
I’m hungry”.

“ I don’t give a Fock about that…go make me my 2pc chicken..chop chop….
name calling doesn’t break the modern black man”.

Now of course the Huggins situation wasn’t a N-word situation, but the
analogy still applies….essentially, it’s just name calling when you break the situation
down, as Dave did.

Just a different perspective.

https://youtu.be/lU-l1W0xlpU
2790284, Not sure exactly your point
Posted by fif, Fri May-12-23 01:13 AM
Re: my post.

But I agree that someone can say things like...

WASP, prod, f*****, drunken Mick bastard, Pollack, various Jewish, Italian slurs etc

to a friend (or someone you know will understand) to make a joking point.

Black slurs are basically a no go ever for whites. Fine by me. But they do seem to be an exception to the rule. It's up to the person/people who belong to the group to decide, I think