Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectChin up, tits out, and watch for the shoe!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2789353&mesg_id=2797671
2797671, Chin up, tits out, and watch for the shoe!
Posted by jimaveli, Fri Oct-06-23 04:30 PM
>possibly the best gimmick ive seen since i started watching
>again, and possibly one of my top 10 as a viewer period
>
>idk who watched that and saw the possibility, but its working
>like a mf

Yep. Broken Toni is my jam. To me, the character has legs to it because the story is that she's gone crazy but she still exists in the same universe as the show. That can last!

And yeah, I'm likening her deal to Broken Matt but it is set up very well to last for several reasons.

Matt Hardy 'went crazy' and created his own absurd universe to function in. And it was basically Dungeon of Doom/WCW 1995 with SLIGHTLY better wrestlers involved, a little bit better budget, and absolutely nobody saying no to ANYTHING. And hey, I loved it because I was okay with all of that silly shit in a vacuum. They told us directly that it was going to be silly then delivered just that: this fool was calling people by their middle names and I loved it.

Add in his obsession with green beans, using 'big' words, the growing color streak in his hair to visibly show that he was getting worse, the 'timeless' (oops!) accent, being against the high spots that robbed him of his physical health while still very much being reliant on them to win matches because he sucks / can't move anymore, The Hardy Compound and all of the stuff there, his PITA wife and grand FIL being in on it too. They fleshed that jackass idea out so much more than it probably deserved and yeah...me and several others obviously loved it. And really, at the time? TNA was not being watched by damn near anyone so they had the canvas to paint on ridiculously. Why tf not!? And really, people might admit it one day, but the gimmick led to a lot of fun stuff in rasslin in general. And again, to me, Toni's current deal is a direct descendant.

But the great thing about 'Broken Toni'? She's somehow more grounded and she still has to follow some amount of 'rules' of how the show around her works. She's flipped her shit because she lost her title AGAIN, she's losing her friends of convenience who were never really her friends, AND her sense of self-importance is waning. Its a beautiful pivot that has already saved her from whatever stank people were laying onto Saraya's admittedly cold run. I have no idea how long this goes and what ends it but I want it to go on and on and on until they run out of stuff to do with it. She has been flat out WONDERFU..DAMNIT..I mean uh...magnificent in this role so far.

And she has committed to the bit damnit! The get-ups, the interviews, the faces she makes, its all there

And duh, unlike Matt, she can pay off anything she sets up IN THE RING without relying on shenanigans to Febreze some shaky rasslin. IE: Matt had to wrestle at his compound to cover for his general inability to work a good standard match at that point in his career (let alone now!). With Toni, she'll do some heelish stalling that goes with the character of course, but I grew up with Flair and Michael PS Hayes so I'm good with that! Toni is still a wrestling machine and she'll show it in spots when needed and it'll be fun. I'm 100% in on this thing.