Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectI think his impact on JSU and HBCU athletics is going to fade away quickly
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2777747&mesg_id=2777991
2777991, I think his impact on JSU and HBCU athletics is going to fade away quickly
Posted by Cocobrotha2, Tue Dec-06-22 05:02 PM
Sponsors, media, donors are going to show up next fall and see no Deion and the leftovers of his players and coaches. There'll be little to no sign that Prime had been there so they'll let whatever short term financial commitments they made expire and the business of HBCU athletics will revert back to what it's been.

Reality is that to make institutional change of the kind HE promised, you need alot of time to develop the processes, relationships and people to make a lasting change and to carry on your legacy.

I think the part that really irks some people is that teaching and working at HBCU's is often seen as a VOCATION by the people involved. Some folks at those schools could be making more in more prestigious jobs but they decided teaching and supporting black students was the highest calling for their talents.

Deion wrapped himself in that cloak... even though he's always been clear that his well being has always been his #1 priority.

So, I don't think anyone is surprised by him leaving. He's been clear he was going to.... I'm just among those that thought he could've really done something memorable and lasting by staying.