Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subject“Coach Prime” is???
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2777747&mesg_id=2777747
2777747, “Coach Prime” is???
Posted by Tiger Woods, Wed Dec-31-69 07:00 PM
I have mixed feelings about Coach Prime leaving Jackson St.

One one hand, he brought prominence to the school and helped the program achieve rare excellence. Jackson State is never gonna be Alabama or Ohio State, he’d done his time, he’d positively impacted a lot of people’s lives. And I think in a conference like the Pac 12 he will win early and often and eventually have them in a playoff in 5 years time if he stays that long.

On the other hand, Deion persuaded many overly-qualified young men to forego opportunities at bigger schools - not just competing against better competition on the field but in personal brand opportunities too. He sold many top tier recruits a dream and asked that they curb their personal aspirations in favor of something bigger than themselves…then he bounced. I think we do have to acknowledge the fact Jackson being an HBCU and Prime celebrating that so loudly makes this situation different than, say, Paul Fickell leaving Cincy for Wisconsin.

I don’t know if there’s a right or wrong answer. I sort of think it’s all true - he’s in his right to leave and I understand why he is, but he’s burning some folks in the process in a way that feels different. Curious where everyone else is at on this.

If I was a Colorado fan or especially player I’d be ecstatic. If I were 5-star WR and Jackson St commit Travis Hunter I’d be heartbroken.

Poll question: “Coach Prime” is???

Poll result (21 votes)
Entitled to accept any employment offer he chooses (14 votes)Vote
Out for self (7 votes)Vote