Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectHBO Original: SHAQ (Robert Alexander, 2022)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2776889
2776889, HBO Original: SHAQ (Robert Alexander, 2022)
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Fri Nov-25-22 01:25 PM
Episode 1: From Shaquille To Shaq
Episode 2: The Rise
Episode 3: The Fall
Episode 4: From Shaq To Shaquille

A few thoughts on the first episode.

PROS

- The visual style makes it a quick and entertaining watch. It matches O'Neal's personality and character for sure.

- Really loved how they showcased the relationship with his father Sgt. Harrison. That was a part of his life I wasn't as familiar with.

CONS

- There's definite Laker exhaustion. From Winning Time, They Call Me Magic, The Legacy to the 30 for 30 Lakers/Celtics joint,
what else is there to tell? I saw an interview with director Robert Alexander and he said the Kobe estate said they wanted them to
downplay the Kobe stuff in their doc because (unconfirmed) I bet there's Kobe film on the way. If they're smart,
they'd hold off on releasing that until at least 2025 or later. If I see Phil Jackson sit down for one more interview...

- This is definitely the Shaq that HE wants you to see.

- I thought his reasoning for leaving Orlando was BS (hints of TNT Shaq), claiming if Penny had just went to management he would have stayed.

- While the visual style is unique, it can get old. Robert Alexander also directed the Kid Cudi documentary A Man Named Scott (2021),
and he brings the same editing/graphic style here. It'll be interesting if they use it less when we start dealing
with parts of Shaq's life that we have more footage of.

- I think it's funny Shaq labels himself the funny man when in his old age he's the only one on the TNT panel that can't take a joke.
Any criticism towards him on Inside The NBA results in him asking, "But how many rings do you have?"

- I wish they would have spent more time with his rap career.
2776912, Shaq needs to add The Big Embellisher to his list of nicknames
Posted by Cold Truth, Fri Nov-25-22 07:34 PM
- This is definitely the Shaq that HE wants you to see.
>
>- I thought his reasoning for leaving Orlando was BS (hints of
>TNT Shaq), claiming if Penny had just went to management he
>would have stayed.

Agreed. Just like this whole "task vs relationship, it was all marketing" bullshit he made up for the Kobe beef.

Nobody gets it right 100% of the time. But Shaq isn't far off of Hulk Hogan in terms of his version of events being a complete work of fiction.

>- I think it's funny Shaq labels himself the funny man when in
>his old age he's the only one on the TNT panel that can't take
>a joke.
>Any criticism towards him on Inside The NBA results in him
>asking, "But how many rings do you have?"

He's one of the most thin-skinned, dish it out but can't take it bullies in the league. And his "how many rings you got?" schtick is tired not just because it's how he deflects criticism against himself, but because he thinks those wins gives him a win in a discussion where his points are either weak, invalid, or a complete fabrication.

>- I wish they would have spent more time with his rap career.

Yep