Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectRE: The lack of respect by today’s players towards former superstars ..
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2776045&mesg_id=2776331
2776331, RE: The lack of respect by today’s players towards former superstars ..
Posted by jimaveli, Wed Nov-16-22 11:35 AM
>I can’t fuck with this soft, paper thin generation.

Its rough both ways. Hiphop showed up how this could go super wrong.

Some of these former dudes (not even superstars per se) are all in on that 'getting paid to hate on current players' business. And it almost has to create a rift between active and retired dudes. And we know media outlets/content creators love the drama cuz its lazy and easy eyeballs/energy/clicks.

And shit, when cats turn on Sportscenter or whatever and see Kendrick Perkins or whoever hating his ass off, that has to suck. Any one of the hundreds of pods with ex-players on there bashing dudes? Same thing. And you know it hurts when Shaq/Kenny/Charles go to town on someone, its hilarious, and it goes 'viral' because that's THE NBA show.

So of course, the young dudes feel SOME isolation and/or some kind of way. Hell, they already feel isolated in general based on how weird their lives are vs the average person their age. And they have to live that shit more publicly than any group of players ever. And of course, they're followed by a parade of woulda/coulda/shoulda folks..mostly folks who didn't help them with any of the shit they pulled off.

And sure, the attention is what helps lots of them make wild money 'before they've proven anything as a pro' vs 30 years ago. But at the same time, the bad faith and/or over the top scrutiny is also elevated. Dudes can have ONE bad week and there's hella words said and typed on the matter. And they more easily see that 'hate' than guys 30 years ago did.

And sure, MAYBE they need to 'log off' more. Maybe they need to 'get tougher'. But, for them, it has to be at least a little lame to not be able to be online and chill and clown around like other people their ages are certainly doing without seeing their face and name in the middle of some bad shit.

And hey, I'm old enough that I can fall into it too..calling 'these young dudes' bitches or whatever. But sometimes, I understand how it can happen. On one hand, these cats should appreciate their gifts, WORK ON THEIR GAMES DURING THE OFFSEASON, and try to play their asses off during the season. I'm down with that set of thoughts, so when anyone appears to not being doing that, I get the hate. But when its November and there's already people freaking out about multiple things 10-15 games in? I'm not as into that.