Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectWorld Cup 2022 Pre-Matchday Post
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2775974
2775974, World Cup 2022 Pre-Matchday Post
Posted by PROMO, Thu Nov-10-22 09:26 AM
We're less than two weeks away from the start of this weird, winter World Cup.

Now that the squads have been announced, let's chop up rosters (who is in and who is out), predictions, news, etc.
2775976, My USMNT squad thoughts:
Posted by PROMO, Thu Nov-10-22 09:42 AM
i mean, first, i don't think Gregg Berhalter has proven he knows what he's doing, so it kinda starts there.

like, i could see this team, based more on coaching than talent, going to Qatar and not winning a game. i could also see them getting to the quarterfinals. that last one? definitely HARDER to see, but i just feel like the USMNT is randomness on a pitch at this point, so anything could happen.

As far as squad thoughts:

- good he left off Steffen

- not really mad at the defensive selection, its more about who will play (back to coaching, ugghh)

- not mad about the midfielders. in midfield we kinda have to make do so thats pretty much who you gotta take.

- forwards? mostly the right names are there, but (and remember Sounders are my team) how you select Jordan Morris over Pefok...HOW SWAY??!?!? or Pepi? look, i know Pepi might not be in form, but Morris ain't all that in form either, and Pepi at least has done things for you on the national stage, same with Pefok. edit: also, it has to be said, when you're trying to woo Mexican-American talent, it's a bad look to young players to leave off Pepi, who committed to Berhalter and the USMNT. you're gonna wanna see that committment come back the other direction. picking Pepi over Morris isn't even a tough decision especially taking that into consideration.

i can't wait until the Berhalter era is over. as much as i want him to succeed, i was half rooting for Jesse Marsh to quickly fail at Leeds so he could take over.
2775978, Pepi's form has been good actually
Posted by cgonz00cc, Thu Nov-10-22 10:01 AM
scoring in Eredivisie, including against PSV, so it's not like hes feasting on the bottom of the table

Morris and Jesus Ferreira are a little confusing

also confusing was the consternation about Tim Ream. hes performing in the PL. put him between Zimmerman and his Fulham partner, and ride with it.
2775979, that's good to hear re: Pepi.
Posted by PROMO, Thu Nov-10-22 10:03 AM
i hadn't heard much lately. sadly, if what you're saying is true, this makes it even worse in light of my edit.

and yeah, while i'm not "mad" at it, not a Ferriera fan.

like, we're not the MLS team anymore. you don't have to pick MLS guys just to show loyalty...plus, there are other MLS guys there already.

definitely should have been Pefok and Pepi over Morris and Ferriera (pretty sure i keep spelling that wrong).
2775980, lol @ the FAs disrespect for English internationals
Posted by cgonz00cc, Thu Nov-10-22 10:04 AM
Callum Wilson and Connor Coady over Tammy Abraham and Scudetto winner Fiyoko Tomori?

ok then

2775981, i like Callum Wilson so while i get the sentiment, i personally don't hate it...
Posted by PROMO, Thu Nov-10-22 10:07 AM
but i see a lot of English fans PISSED over Tomori.

i saw a tweet that pretty much summed it up. something like "if Tomori was named Frank Taylor, he'd be on the squad."

sounds about right....er, white.
2775985, i want to believe thats not the case
Posted by cgonz00cc, Thu Nov-10-22 12:04 PM
but i could at least understand that

the idea that it would be better for Tomori to be with Wolves than AC fucking Milan is incomprehensible to me
2775986, eh...
Posted by PROMO, Thu Nov-10-22 12:14 PM
i feel like it's a LITTLE true...like 5%, but the 95% is DEFINITELY that he's not plying his trade in the EPL.

the FA has ALWAYS been HEAVILY biased to English players playing in England. but yeah, that's obviously horseshit.

2775987, it isn’t racism. Southgate just doesn’t care about other leagues like that
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Thu Nov-10-22 01:13 PM
2775983, Mings should absolutely be in there too.
Posted by magilla vanilla, Thu Nov-10-22 10:58 AM
He was fantastic filling in when Maguire missed the first two group games of the Euros, and if Maguire can continue to get called back, Mings absolutely should.

That said, I'm happy he gets to enjoy the mini-preseason soaking up that Emery knowledge.
2776028, Yeah I don't watch MLS, so I'll rely on your judgment here:
Posted by dillinjah, Fri Nov-11-22 12:07 PM
>
>- forwards? mostly the right names are there, but (and
>remember Sounders are my team) how you select Jordan Morris
>over Pefok...HOW SWAY??!?!? or Pepi? look, i know Pepi might
>not be in form, but Morris ain't all that in form either, and
>Pepi at least has done things for you on the national stage,
>same with Pefok. edit: also, it has to be said, when you're
>trying to woo Mexican-American talent, it's a bad look to
>young players to leave off Pepi, who committed to Berhalter
>and the USMNT. you're gonna wanna see that committment come
>back the other direction. picking Pepi over Morris isn't even
>a tough decision especially taking that into consideration.

Right...

>i can't wait until the Berhalter era is over. as much as i
>want him to succeed, i was half rooting for Jesse Marsh to
>quickly fail at Leeds so he could take over.

^^
2775992, Good Luck to everyone, I guess.
Posted by allStah, Thu Nov-10-22 02:45 PM
I will not support this year’s World Cup in any form or fashion. The entire
Infrastructure of the World Cup was built by immigrant workers who were exploited,
abused, and coerced to endure inhumane and unhealthy work and living conditions.

Immigrant workers were denied civil rights and labor rights, and dozen of workers lost
their lives because they were denied basic food resources and many times were forced
to work without any rest or breaks.

2775993, thank you for bringing this up.
Posted by PROMO, Thu Nov-10-22 02:54 PM
i was actually hoping someone would go here.

this is a huge story as we run up to the games, and actual journalists have covered this way better than i could even imagine.

i love how Sepp came out this week like "uhhh, yeah Qatar was mistake." like, DUH. everyone was screaming that from the get go, and they could have just took it back from them and put it somewhere else, but here we are.

i was screaming about what is essentially slavery back when Trump ran for President because they were doing the same shit way back then to build a Trump golf course over there. they just applied that same practice to all the stadiums and shit they needed.

i'd say read the articles that are out there cuz as i said, they can explain better than me, but i'm glad we're talking about this cuz the casual fan should be aware.
2775995, It’s going to be very hard for me not to watch…very hard
Posted by allStah, Thu Nov-10-22 03:17 PM
I love the game so much, but I call myself a person who fights against
social injustice, slavery and racism, etc…

I have to put forth some type of effort…something, no matter if it is all days or one day.

2775999, Mainly GO CANADA! for me
Posted by upUPNorth, Thu Nov-10-22 04:36 PM
Not sure how interested I'd be if it wasn't for their qualification and hype, even though even that seems to have died down a bit relatively with the Canada Soccer mess up here. Our coach is better than our organization at least.

We can have an exciting team that I think could surprise teams if they don't respect it. But I also hope they just try and go out there and play that way too even against the better squads on paper, be fun to watch rather than boring for a point. But who knows.
2776026, Hopefully Davies hamstring is good by then
Posted by dillinjah, Fri Nov-11-22 12:00 PM
easily the best player from North America.

Also, will be interesting to see who goes further, US, Mexico or Canada.

Definitely possible all 3 go out in the group stage
2776029, even without Corona, I still like Mexico's chances
Posted by cgonz00cc, Fri Nov-11-22 12:11 PM
but Poland will be a test. Lewa is Lewa, Szczesny can steal one, and Zielinski has been absolutely fantastic for Napoli this year

Canada is in a much tougher spot. Croatia has a great best XI, but the depth isnt impressive and the weak spots are the fullbacks. Buchanan and Davies could stress them heavily with speed.

i like US and Mexico to advance, with Croatia having a lil too much savvy not to make it thru
2776034, Mexico has been so disappointing these past couple of years
Posted by mista k5, Fri Nov-11-22 01:12 PM
I figure they can advanced past the group stage but I don't have any confidence past that and I think there is even some doubt if they get out of the group stage.
2776053, i could absolutely see them not advancing
Posted by cgonz00cc, Sat Nov-12-22 01:50 AM
they needed Germany to collapse against S. Korea last time
2776421, My boy is team captain!
Posted by Heinz, Thu Nov-17-22 01:39 PM
So happy for him
2776027, good to see Simons make the dutch squad
Posted by dillinjah, Fri Nov-11-22 12:03 PM
While he prolly won't start, he'll def get game time as a 2nd half sub.

I was impressed by him v Arsenal in Europa

I'm real curious to see where he goes from PSV in the Summer
2776032, i dont think he's going anywhere this summer
Posted by cgonz00cc, Fri Nov-11-22 12:18 PM
we have a slew of guys coming back from injury, and should be considered favorites to win the league right today

if they do, and CL group stage is a guarantee, from what I can gather the club wont NEED to sell anyone for financial reasons. they might get an offer they cant refuse for Gakpo but im optimistic they can keep the band together til next January at least.
2776442, Appears PSG has a buy back option
Posted by dillinjah, Fri Nov-18-22 09:59 AM
https://twitter.com/fabrizioromano/status/1593615794495184902?s=46&t=-wkLdH2MAtegZ9R8j7oOgA

I wouldn’t go back to PSG if I were him

He should do another year at PSV…but that’s not how that generation thinks
2776037, obligatory "Fuck Qatar and their draconian opressive government"
Posted by guru0509, Fri Nov-11-22 01:26 PM
...but this world cup should be really interesting

rooting for all the African nations to knock off the colonizers and all the Serie A players (the league I watch most due to my SO and her family)

esp Senegal and my boy Kalidou..I expect a strong showing fromm them

its always Fuck AC Milan (Forza Inter) but Rafael Leão is just a joy to watch

Lautaro on Argentina , hopefully the football gods get us that Brazil matchup fingers crossed

(the 4 serie A fans (me , cgonz, khn, and someome else) in these threads know the deal)

2776282, can I get a quick cliff-note on this US squad?
Posted by benny, Tue Nov-15-22 01:16 PM
my first WC as an American citizen, figured I'd at least pretend to keep tabs on the team. I like what I've seen from Adams and Aranson for Leeds, but Weah is pretty unimpressive whenever I watch Lille, same is McKennie when I've seen Juve. And uh... that's kinda it?
2776289, Tifo and Grauniad have you covered
Posted by magilla vanilla, Tue Nov-15-22 02:50 PM
Here's a tactical preview of Group B, including the USA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2PzGk46nfk

And The Guardian's brief on the team (though I think Ream will likely start at CB). https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/nov/06/world-cup-2022-team-guide-usa

Basically, Robinson at left back is going to be the thrust of how we get forward. It's a basic 4-3-3 with a weak no. 9. Pulisic and Aaronson are going to be where the goals come from unless Ferreira catches fire, which is pretty unlikely.
2776299, cheers
Posted by benny, Tue Nov-15-22 04:58 PM
2776300, i think the team might go as Reyna goes.
Posted by PROMO, Tue Nov-15-22 05:12 PM
first, he has to stay healthy.

if we get that far? if he's playing well i think we might surprise.

if not? BLEHHHH.

but, Reyna and Aaronson are the engines in my book. however they are going is how we'll be going.
2776309, his calendar year 2020 was incredible.
Posted by cgonz00cc, Tue Nov-15-22 11:07 PM
i watched a LOT of bundesliga during quarantine. they were the first to come back and i kinda got hooked into the storylines and all the americans.

he was still super young, but there were times where he looked like a superstar.

2776292, McKennie is a victim of the coaching change imo
Posted by cgonz00cc, Tue Nov-15-22 03:24 PM
seems like he's been shackled a little bit, and his shots being way down kinda supports that
2776290, Shai Butter!
Posted by allStah, Tue Nov-15-22 03:06 PM
2776310, Mane out for Senegal. and he had been conserving himself at Bayern
Posted by Castro, Tue Nov-15-22 11:40 PM
TERRIBLE TERRIBLE BLOW. Senegal has depth but I can't see them getting as far without their star.
2776314, Go Neymar it’s his time to cement his legacy
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Nov-16-22 12:02 AM
2776417, there's definitely more than one way to read that message lol
Posted by benny, Thu Nov-17-22 01:16 PM
2776444, another Barca wunderkid called up for Spain
Posted by thejerseytornado, Fri Nov-18-22 10:36 AM
sad to see Gaya hurt and Gaya's clearly the best LB in Spain right now, but happy/proud for Balde to get the experience (though might cost a pretty penny on his contract extension. but so be it)

Balde's really been outstanding over the past month + playing out of position.

even when Barca's down, still the backbone of a contention ready spanish national team. VISCA CATALUNYA

-----------
you think we playing chess, but i'm playing mad-making. Basaglia
2776496, at one time i thought Reguilon would have this cycle AND next cycle on lock
Posted by cgonz00cc, Sat Nov-19-22 10:07 AM
that move to Spurs didnt do anything for him
2776545, Benzema might miss WC...
Posted by dillinjah, Sat Nov-19-22 03:57 PM
https://www.espn.com/soccer/france-fra/story/4806724/world-cup-france-karim-benzema-suffers-injury-in-training

Not that I care for Les Bleus, but I really wanted to see him thrive after being frozen out of the nat'l team for so long
2776547, Greed has ruined this WC, and I feel like the damage is irreparable
Posted by Castro, Sat Nov-19-22 04:15 PM
2776550, It’s a hard lesson learned for FIFA, the fan experience is ruined…
Posted by ThaTruth, Sat Nov-19-22 04:19 PM
but will it affect the actual games?
2776559, Infantino gave quite a monologue.
Posted by Buck, Sat Nov-19-22 06:27 PM
It's on all the usual sites.

I now feel that if I don't watch/cheer this WC, I'm the asshole.

I THINK that was the intended takeaway.
2776562, what a fucking loser he is
Posted by cgonz00cc, Sat Nov-19-22 07:10 PM
2776586, boy i did not have Morgan Freeman narration in my expectations
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Sun Nov-20-22 09:49 AM
2776595, The hosts are making Ecuador look like Germany.
Posted by Buck, Sun Nov-20-22 11:37 AM
I choose to believe that Qatar are actually really good, and that Ecuador is gonna make a run to the semis.