Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectI'm saying that WE would have had to give up a pick.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2775233&mesg_id=2775321
2775321, I'm saying that WE would have had to give up a pick.
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Nov-01-22 02:37 PM
My statement was a simple one with clear context.

If a deal like that were on the table, we'd have taken it.

The Lakers Tax is a thing, Frank. Particularly considering this is Danny Ainge we're talking about in Utah.

And you know well that the only things we have of any real value, are those picks and Russ' contract.

They weren't taking back Bev. Nunn's contract is too small.

Who would we have dealt, to make the salaries match? Most of our team is newly signed free agents that can't be traded until December.

It would have had to have been part of a larger Russ deal, and nobody is taking that without those picks.

Teams know we're in a serious bind, need talent, have few assets, and want to crank up the asking prices on us.

But let's say that's not the case.

Why didn't, quite literally, anyone else jump in? How many teams could have used a guy like that?

Atlanta, Milwaukee (particularly given that Middleton is out), NY, BK, Phoenix, Boston, Dallas, there are a ton of teams who could use a guy like that. Phoenix and Crowder, for example, could have been the centerpiece.

So if you're asking this of the Lakers, I'd say that the same can be asked of nearly anyone else.

But I still contend that the Lakers tax is the biggest reason. Someone would have to be doing us a favor these days just for us to get a deal that anyone else can get. Our price will generally be higher, especially if we're trying to deal with Ainge.