Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectI just don't know what Udoka can do to fix that.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2775233&mesg_id=2775310
2775310, I just don't know what Udoka can do to fix that.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Nov-01-22 01:40 PM
I think he'll certainly make things *better* by better utilizing guys like Simmons than Nash did and finding creative sets to theoretically execute (assuming the stars want to get on board).

But this team isn't going to be better on defense through effort alone. The guards are all small, and every guard/wing outside of O'Neal is *real* bad on defense. Claxton and Simmons aren't rim protectors. And as you pointed out, they are *incredibly* restricted in the potential moves they can make due to lack of draft equity.

Like, their defense right now, small sample size notwithstanding, is on pace to be easily one of the worst in *years.* And there's a roster component to that struggle, without question. Then when you add the reluctance of certain players on the roster to give a flying fuck about off-ball action, the problems compound.

So even with a really smart on-court coach like Udoka, I just... don't know what realistically he can do with this roster. If he can make this defense even a top 20 in the NBA defense, he'd make my Coach of the Year shortlist, lol.