Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectThat may be true. I guess I'm grading him on a curve
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2772779&mesg_id=2773980
2773980, That may be true. I guess I'm grading him on a curve
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Fri Oct-14-22 09:56 PM
In general, when someone is confronted with their wrongdoing they have an initial reaction. Hopefully, like Draymond, that reaction is contrition and genuine guilt.

But the real transformation requires lots of stumbles and failures to grasp the enormity of the wrongdoing and the challenging work of holding yourself accountable, even and especially when it's inconvenient and uncomfortable.

So, I don't expect much from Draymond given it's only been less than a week since the suspension. I think the kind of 180 people may have expected only takes place when a catasrophe happens and the person already has a high-resevoir of self-awareness and humility. Two qualities that most men much less 'alpha-type' pro athletes aren't in the position to cultivate.

And even if Dray did 'win the press conference,' the real work would need to take place in the locker room, on the practice court, and in huddles during games to earn the trust and respect of the team.

That being said, and I don't know if the team already asked him, I wish he would see a counselor or therapist to process what he did and begin to grasp how destructive it was to Jordan, the team, and ultimately to himself. He also needs to learn tools to help him better manage his power to cut down when his aggression boils over. Because if he doesn't get a hold of himself he'll go down as someone who self-sabotaged his career and prematurely pressed the brakes on a dynasty.