Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectIt'd definitely take at least a pick imo.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2772779&mesg_id=2773081
2773081, It'd definitely take at least a pick imo.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sun Oct-02-22 06:26 PM
Because I think all three of these guys are awesome Trade Deadline commodities for contenders looking to shore up a slightly deeper rotation.

The Spurs have soooo much cap space already-- they're almost certainly holding all that cap space specifically this year to dangle it to a team desperate to unload a massive contract in order to milk them for more picks, because this year's draft class is so incredibly stacked in the top 4-5 positions. I imagine we'll see a couple teams not planning presently on tanking decide to shut it down and do a soft reboot if they don't get off to a good start. And San Antonio is in a great place to say, "Cool, you want to get a top 5 pick this year and next. Give us whatever salary you need to dump and a pick or two a few years from now, and we'll get it done."

So between this year's draft situation and the value of guys like Poeltl or Richardson on a playoff roster, I think they can get a good number of assets this season before the Deadline *and* be in contention for Wemby. Lowkey the Spurs are in a really good position for things to turn around fairly quickly imo.

I still think the Lakers should push as hard as they can to the Pacers and say "We'll give you Russ and two picks for Hield and Turner." (Or Russ, two young assets like Max Christie or whomever, and one unprotected pick. Either way.) I think a Beverly, Hield, Bron, AD, Turner lineup would absolutely be a top 4 seed in the West, and Hield and Turner have both been available for a while according to reports. It'll def take picks, but worth it for bolstering the roster around Bron and AD in such a fashion imo.