Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectRE: The big difference
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2771113&mesg_id=2778583
2778583, RE: The big difference
Posted by jimaveli, Thu Dec-15-22 01:41 PM
>
>>Even though Cena was corny as hell a lot of the time, I
>think
>>people cared more about his programs as a face than they did
>>with Roman. Roman as a face was boring, and while I don’t
>>think he will be as boring the next time he turns face,
>>that’s still a possibility. We’ll have to wait and see.
>
>Was that Face post-Thuganomics Cena felt more like that
>classic "you turned up to 11" gimmick, whereas Roman's work
>pre-tribal chief felt more scripted (see: "sufferin' Succotash
>son"). This current gimmick feels more "him," and that's why
>it's working so well.

The more 'self-aware' versions of both characters are my favorites.

IE: When Cena generally 'knew' that everyone expected him to win every match? And WWE was smart enough to play on that and Cena was too? That's a good ass John Cena...like the last 5-ish years of his run. When he'd eventually get a chance to AA someone, the look on his face was always wonderful. Like 'yeah, bitches...I'm about to do this dude in too. Just like all of the other ones before'. It made all of the jobs he did hit even harder too. And man, he did a lot of jobs towards the end there.

And this Tribal Chief shit works on me for a similar reason. He's like 'yeah, I'm the chosen one. And all of those mfers chose right! I'm the man. Nobody is beating me. I'm gonna take my time coming out here. And all of you are gonna fuggin wait for it because EVERYONE KNOWS I AM WORTH THE WAIT'. And whenever he gets inconvenienced in any way, shape, or form? His faces in those situations just hammer the points home all the more. And he's almost always like 'oh, I get it. You're too dumb to get how this is gonna go so let me clear it up for you'. I love it all.