Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectYou think that approach is going to increase vaccination?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2770107&mesg_id=2770154
2770154, You think that approach is going to increase vaccination?
Posted by Vex_id, Thu Aug-04-22 09:43 AM
Name-calling, calling people "ignorant" and basically saying "fuck your thoughts" is going to increase vaccine coverage somehow?

There are many countries (like Japan for example) which placed an emphasis on informed consent (weighing risks/benefits openly and transparently) and persuasive strategies to encourage vaccination - and they experienced significantly higher vaccine coverage than we have. I don't think coercive strategies of trying to force people to take a vaccine (while not fully disclosing the facts) is nearly as effective as persuading them to do something for their health in a way that respects their agency in making that decision.

>I've got close family members, close vaccinated family
>members, that are currently dealing with the fall-out of
>dipshit, galaxy-brain, Joe Rogan-listening sub-morons who
>ignored science and facilitated the development of COVID
>strains that or more contagious than ever before.

What are you talking about when you say "sub-morons facilitated the development of COVID strains"? The development of Omicron - for example - had nothing to do with your characterization here as the consensus now is that it developed out of a prolonged illness in someone with a compromised immune system in South Africa. Is that person in South Africa a "sub-moron"?

There's been extraordinary evolutionary pressure on this virus to mutate both in vaccinated and unvaccinated hosts - as it's mutating in unvaccinated hosts and also learning to evade vaccinated immunity in vaccinated hosts - which is why we're seeing such significant immune escape with Omicron whereby these subvariants are masters of immune evasion.

But I'm curious: why aren't you calling for flu-shot mandates as well? Are the people who aren't taking flu-shots dumb ignorant fucks as well who are complicit in murder? Up to 650,000 people die of flu-related illness every year around the world, yet we don't have a flu shot mandate and I don't see people saying that those who carry the flu without a flu-shot are "killing people" using the same logic.

The flu-shot is also a bit more analogous to these covid vaccines in terms of efficacy than traditional sterilizing vaccines. In any given year, the best we can hope for is around ~65% efficacy with the flu-shot as it's a bit of lottery to calibrate each annual flu-shot to match the emerging strain of that season. In most cases, the efficacy is significantly less than 65% and falls below 50%. Still, you could easily make the argument that the flu-shot is *more* efficacious at stopping spread than these covid vaccines (especially now) - yet I don't see the same energy to mandate the flu-shot and characterize those who don't take the flu-shot as willful murderers.

-->