Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectToo small, too ball dominant. Not a fan.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2768286&mesg_id=2768533
2768533, Too small, too ball dominant. Not a fan.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Jun-23-22 09:35 AM
Worth noting that Hardy came into the G-League as the guy with true OAD pedigree, above guys like Daniels and certainly Beauchamp... but I now like both of those dudes a good degree more than Hardy.

Hardy's pitch is as a scorer off the bench, because he did legit find opportunities to score and shot create on the Ignite team, especially down the stretch. He was pretty terrible at the beginning of his Ignite experience... but I reckon that's to be expected with most players (could say that about Kuminga too, IIRC, and that's worked out pretty well). But there's no question the guy looks for his shots and creates opportunities. Really good ballhandler too.

But he's not a good shooter right now. 33% from 3, 69% from FT.
And he's an unathletic (for NBA standards) 6'4 2 guard.
And he doesn't look to pass.
And he's turnover prone.
And he's terrrrrrrible on defense.

Like... what's the comparison here? I'd say someone like Jordan Poole, but Poole (a) was a better shooter in college, (b) a positive A:TO guy in college, and (c) ended up in a *perfect* situation.

Maybe you can sell yourself Hardy due to playing in a league much more difficult than college, which is fair... but if you have *two* true NBA talents-- handles and shot creation-- and the latter of those two is likely to be restricted by your relative lack of size/athleticism? Yeah. I just don't know.

If he becomes a 38% from 3/76+% from FT kind of dude, then there's certainly a place for him. Or maybe he can figure out how to play point, or with a taller athletic point guard that would mitigate the problem of his size. I'm not sure. It'll be very situation dependent.

But he's pretty clearly a stash imo. Think he's shown he can become a really nice scorer in the G-League, maybe he can figure some things out there. I wouldn't draft him until the end of the first round, personally-- where the teams with the better player development programs are.