Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectThe most switchable defender in the draft. A coveted skill.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2768286&mesg_id=2768423
2768423, The most switchable defender in the draft. A coveted skill.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Jun-21-22 08:23 PM
Sochan strikes me as the sort of dude you might see suddenly pop up in the top 6-7, because he's a stud on defense. 1-through-5 switches kind of dude. Great on ball, great off ball. If you were going to bet on a non-Chet player to be an All-Defense/DPOY type of prospect, this is your guy.

And while the problem right now is on the offensive end, it's worth noting that he's not a *total* zero here. Better potential than Daniels and some of the other non-shooters, and a good positional passer/team player on the offensive end all around. One of the younger players in the class too, and he's clearly raw in a number of ways, so upside is definitely real here.

So I think the upside is maybe a Boris Diaw type. A guy who can play small ball 5 but could also play some point forward if need be. This sort of versatility is the future of the league. I think a lot of teams, especially teams with good player development programs, would be wise to reach for Sochan if they think he can be the Draymond/Bam sort of Swiss army knife that every real title contender will likely need going forward. Downside is certainly real if he can't ever shoot-- he'd need to become an All-Defense level defender to get real playing time without a jumper-- but I'd gladly take a stab.