Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectBest perimeter D in the draft. Good playmaker. Can't shoot.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2768286&mesg_id=2768421
2768421, Best perimeter D in the draft. Good playmaker. Can't shoot.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Jun-21-22 08:01 PM
As an instant caveat, I always miss on non-college guys more than college guys, so grain of salt here, but I did watch a number of Ignite games. I thought early on, while the hype was on Jaden Hardy, that Daniels was a *way* better prospect.

He's the best defender on the perimeter of anyone in the class. He's one of the best passers in the class. He's an above-average ballhandler, especially for his terrific positional size (a 6'7 PG). He's a really high IQ playmaker too. Just a smart, high-motor player on the perimeter on both ends. A lot to get excited about.

But he can't shoot. Like, at all. 27% from 3, 52% from FT.

I still think you take him lottery-- and if you need a primary PG, and you think you can make him even an average-to-respectable shooter, you take him closer top 10, maybe even top 8. Think right now the ceiling is, like, a 6'7 Rajon Rondo. Which would be terrific. But unless you successfully make your team better the way Rondo does without shooting, then it might be hard for him to actualize that potential.

I think his biggest key to success is becoming, like, a 33% 3PT and 70% FT type of guy. If he does that, I think he's a starting PG on a good team for a long time. And given how dire this class is on primary ballhandlers, I think it's very worth the gamble.