Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectGenerally agree, though I worry about the downside.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2768286&mesg_id=2768394
2768394, Generally agree, though I worry about the downside.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Jun-21-22 02:17 PM
Like, he's a better shooter and defender than someone like Sharife Cooper, so that's something (though admittedly not the passer/ballhandler Cooper was). I don't think he's destined for instant sideshow status necessarily.

But man, it's just so fucking hard to be an NBA player if you're coming in at the combine under 6 feet in shoes and 172 lbs. Your toughness and motor and floor general vibe only matter so much if everyone else is just bigger and longer than you.

And like you said, while his 3-pointer off-the-catch was good last year, there are some red flags. Like, I'd say his second best scoring ability in college was finishing at the rim, and he just... won't do that in the NBA. He's gotta get much better at mid-rangers, pull-ups, floaters, etc... and again, height makes projecting the efficacy of that an issue. Unless you're, like, a Trae Young level shooter. Which Chandler notably isn't.

So I'm definitely inclined to file Chandler under "great college PG who smells like a two-contract backup then Europe" kind of guy. I think that's closer to the median outcome that people suspect based on pedigree. But unless he becomes a terrific and consistent shooter, I'm very concerned about his ability to stick in any sort of meaningful way.