Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectNBA athletic wing with a nice jumpshot-- and he's still raw.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2768286&mesg_id=2768385
2768385, NBA athletic wing with a nice jumpshot-- and he's still raw.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Jun-21-22 12:34 PM
The name that comes to mind is Jaylen Brown-- not because he's the level athlete that Brown was/is (he wasn't/isn't), but when you watched Brown at Cal, there was still this sense that he was still learning how to play. He was turnover-prone, didn't really have a good-enough handle, wasn't a passer... but the potential was evident, especially in his body.

Now, Mathurin doesn't have Brown's body, but he's a *much* better shooter at this point than Brown was at the same age. There's a pretty safe floor with Mathurin because, worst case scenario, he can be a 3-point shooting wing off the bench. He also plays with the sort of energy that Brown played with in college too, which makes you feel pretty good about his potential to develop.

But a lot of those flaws are there. Not a great handle. Not a great passer (though improving from where he started, admittedly). Turns it over a bit much and jumps out of position on defense too much-- blame both of these on the energy, but remains to be seen if he can figure out ways to check those urges as well as Brown has.

So yeah, I think the upside here is something like Diet Coke Jaylen Brown, with the downside being, I don't know, insert name of bench scoring wing here, a Diet Coke Tim Hardaway Jr. or something. That's not perfect, but you get the idea. I think Mathurin sticks, and it's hard not to like a guy with his size, shot, motor, and upside. If he doesn't go Top 6ish, I think someone's getting a steal.