Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectCeiling: Tobias Harris. Really good shooter/scorer with size.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2768286&mesg_id=2768379
2768379, Ceiling: Tobias Harris. Really good shooter/scorer with size.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Jun-21-22 11:08 AM
There aren't too many guys in an NBA Draft who can say "I'm 6'8, 6'11 wingspan, above-average athlete, who was high volume *and* high efficiency on offense as a sophomore in college." He can score from all three levels-- terrific in post, efficient in midrange, and near 40% from 3 last season. That's just a deadly combo, easily translatable to the next level. He's strong, shifty, and mobile enough to grab a board and go full court if need be.

I think his defense is... fine. He definitely leaps for steals and blocks, so he gets caught out of position, but I wouldn't call him a liability because of it. Don't love him as a passer currently (certainly shades of the first near-decade of Harris in the NBA in that respect). And while he's definitely a good athlete, I wouldn't call him explosive-- there's certainly a chance the more quick-twitch players on both ends might limit Murray's efficacy if Murray doesn't continue to develop. That said, even though he's 21, he's got some nice upside as a kid who was a very late bloomer in HS and even in college, as he wasn't like *this* as a freshman.

So if he went 5th or even 4th, I wouldn't be blown away. He's a dude who doesn't have the ceiling of the Iveys, Sharpes, or even Griffins, but the floor feels nice and high. He projects really wells as an offensive player in the NBA, and he's got enough size, strength, and upside to be at least a non-liability on defense, even in switching schemes in the playoffs. The upside to be the next Tobias Harris type is there, and his downside if he struggles to be as effective inside/midrange in the NBA is still, probably, I don't know, Diet Coke Otto Porter? Maybe if his defense completely bombs next level, it's lower, but I like him.