Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectIncredibly young, elite 6'10 scorer. Absolute All-Star upside.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2768286&mesg_id=2768323
2768323, Incredibly young, elite 6'10 scorer. Absolute All-Star upside.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Jun-20-22 11:44 AM
One of the big things people will (correctly) talk about a lot with this draft is player upside, in particular for guys like Chet Holmgren and Shaedon Sharpe up at the top... but I think people sleep on Jabari Smith's upside. Like, Smith is the same age as Sharpe and a year younger than Holmgren.

So once you factor that in, what do you have?
- A very young kid, early in his development as a player.
- A second-team All-American as one of the youngest players in the draft.
- A 6'10 kid who shot 42% from 3 on high volume and near 80% from the FT line.
- A guy with elite positional size and good-to-above-average NBA athleticism to get to his spots and be a terrific shot creator next level.
- A plus defender in college (at his age!) who easily has the tools to be a switchable player in the NBA.

I'd like to see him be a better passer, but that definitely could come with time, and I don't love how he finishes at the rim/inside/through contact yet, but he's also just so early in his body's development, and he's definitely got the frame to get stronger. I'm just not really worried about this guy in any capacity.

I think his upside could be, like, 6'10 Khris Middleton-- a two-way All-Star, elite shot creator, winning player. And I think his downside is somewhere around Rudy Gay-- someone who can score well in the NBA, but maybe doesn't live up to defensive upside and doesn't pass well, so never becomes a true winning player as a primary/secondary option.

I think he's the safest of the top 3 players in the draft in terms of having the least downside. He's not as ready today as Paolo and he's not as freaky upside as Chet, but his floor is just notably higher than either Paolo or Chet's floors imo. He's the favorite to go #1 for a reason. If he goes to Orlando, he and Suggs are an awesome upside core heading forward, and if OKC somehow got him, it'd be a dream for them. He won't go past 2.