Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectBrady got 10 yrs/375mil waiting for him to call games for Fox
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2764924
2764924, Brady got 10 yrs/375mil waiting for him to call games for Fox
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Tue May-10-22 11:53 AM
https://twitter.com/mysportsupdate/status/1524065687748161542?s=21&t=W_tnxOdAiZWRNPk8MPF0EA

GOAT bag for the GOAT
2764926, Let him and Peyton Manning call games.
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Tue May-10-22 11:57 AM
I'd watch that all day
2764931, That’s far more than Aikman/Buck…and so much more fun
Posted by Tiger Woods, Tue May-10-22 12:15 PM
2764932, $37.5M a yr? dude making more calling the game than playing the game.
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue May-10-22 12:17 PM
2764943, I guess Rupert Murdoch made an offer he couldn't refuse
Posted by dillinjah, Tue May-10-22 02:19 PM
2764962, GOAT status
Posted by Lach, Tue May-10-22 06:01 PM
2764969, His agent is the real GOAT
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue May-10-22 07:15 PM
2764974, dude is so far above everybody else. with zero experience.
Posted by Reeq, Tue May-10-22 07:51 PM
https://twitter.com/TheAthleticNFL/status/1524130310736261122

tony romo had to prove himself to get the bag. and brady doubled him out the box.

(yeah im looking at the jim rome salary like everybody else)
2765084, Boody got me rooting for Cowboys.
Posted by Dr Claw, Thu May-12-22 10:26 AM
Toughest of scenes
2764989, Is it me or does anyone else question if he'll be good?
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Wed May-11-22 02:27 AM
Brady obviously loves football. But he's said about 20 interesting things in the 20 years he's been in the league. He also doesn't strike as being charismatic or having an energetic personality, like Romo.

Plus calling games is a distinct skill. There's a reason very few people, play-by-play announcers included, are excellent at the job.

Some people are good out the gate. But most take time.

But I think the main selling point of the deal to Fox is having Tom as an ambassador to sponsors. Brady as an in-game analyst could be as compelling as watching eggshell white dry on drywall if he can sell ad slots and bring in sponsors to the show. I mean, I don't have a company, but I'd sign a 7 figure check to Fox to have Brady pretend to show interest in a 10-minute conversation.
2764990, ive never heard brady speak and wanted to hear him speak more.
Posted by Reeq, Wed May-11-22 02:44 AM
even when hes supposed to be 'open' like on the man in the arena or on the shop...hes just not an appealing speaker and the cussing and shit like that seems forced.

plus hes so measured and calculated when he makes statements...going unscripted and on the fly for long periods is prolly gonna give him more opportunities to stick his foot in his mouth, say shit people dont like (especially about other teams), etc.

like you...im assuming theres a larger play here than just the game commentary. brand ambassador, content creator, etc.
2764997, Brady was hilarious on the Tuck Rule 30 for 30 with Charles Woodson
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed May-11-22 08:14 AM
I think he will be fine as a commentator but it is wild seeing some of these dudes walk to the front of the line. Has he already done some test film which is why the deal is so nice?

and lawd.. he doesn’t need to be Romo. I actually think Romo is annoying as hell and oversells his “OMG its gong to be a run play!”

No shit Romo.. its either a run or a pass. I think breakdown plays AFTER they happen is much more enjoyable than trying to show you know the game by predicting plays. We get it, you were a QB, of course you see shit we don’t see.

2764999, It’s a fair question but I don’t doubt he’ll be great out the gate
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed May-11-22 08:26 AM
I’ve seen enough of his off field stuff to know he has it
2765001, Tampa Tom has been super charismatic and hilarious.
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Wed May-11-22 08:35 AM
Plus that 30 for 30 with Charles Woodson and the Man In The Arena series were both entertaining and informative.
2765003, People see the football Brady after games and hate him.. lol
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed May-11-22 09:34 AM
but off the field he seems chill as hell.

My people grew up with Ty Law and Revis so they were always at Patriot games and said the Brady we see is work Brady.. not chill at the crib and kick it Brady.

Ty Law if s from the hood.. and when his people show up 99% of them dudes are STILL hood af. They all said Brady ain’t a robot he’a just locked in on the field.
2765018, "Drunk off his ass at the victory parade" Brady was hilarious
Posted by mrhood75, Wed May-11-22 12:28 PM
Tossing the Lombardi from one boat to another was great comedy.

"DAD, NO! NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!"
2765006, I’m surprised he even wants to do it
Posted by pretentious username, Wed May-11-22 10:23 AM
I love Brady, but I don’t see him being great at this. Maybe he didn’t till he saw their offer.
2765098, 1st time I heard him talk in setting where he couldn't use stock phrasing
Posted by RagOnMe, Thu May-12-22 01:38 PM
was The Match (him/Peyton/Tiger/Phil)--and he immediately lost like 20% of his mystique with me (other 80 will never go away based on his feats). Take away his fame, and he seems like one of those guys I might engage in conversation with at a gathering..then fake that I need to get another drink minutes later just to get away from the boredom.

Edit: this was just based on that one afternoon playing golf with those guys--maybe he was just having a rough day, or tuned out because he thought he was playing shitty. But he was by far the most uninteresting/funny person of the 4 to me.
2765000, people really tuning in cause of him?
Posted by 3xKrazy, Wed May-11-22 08:34 AM
2765004, I don’t give a shit about commentators.. lol
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed May-11-22 09:55 AM
I have opinions based on folks love or hate for a guy but overall.

I tune in for the game.

But I definitely see people who are like “who’s calling the game?” as soon as they see a matchup.

My favorite is Collinsworth. Not his work but the way Steeler fans criticize him. Matchup between the Ravens and Bucs and Steeler fans are all “why is he showing Lamar so much love? Ugh, another Brady story”

who the fuck is he supposed to talk about? Obama? Big Ben? Willie Stargell?
2765010, ya'll beat me to it. I have never turned on a game bc of who was
Posted by Cenario, Wed May-11-22 11:03 AM
commenting, i've definitely turned off games bc of it though...but ultimately, it was a game that wasn't holding my interest anyway.
2765011, I just turn the sound down if they annoy me.
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed May-11-22 11:31 AM
or laugh at how blatantly one sided they are if they keep making excuses for obvious blown calls.

People like what they like but i always thought it was weird when people asked who was calling the game. Never knew it was that serious.

Now Dennis Miller.. gotdamn he was awful.
2765013, lmao at dennis miller
Posted by Cenario, Wed May-11-22 11:37 AM
but right. I used to watch the knicks game but listen to the call on the radio. Fucking walt clyde frazier smh
2765099, I...actually kinda enjoyed Dennis Miller?
Posted by RagOnMe, Thu May-12-22 01:51 PM

>
>Now Dennis Miller.. gotdamn he was awful.

I *still* remember one of his jokes--referring to whatever kicker who just kicked, like, his 2nd FG in the 2nd quarter..it was something like "if the Chiefs don't figure out their redzone issues, Zendejas is going to continue lifting his leg more than a chihuahua with a bladder problem" (cmon, that's hilarious coming from an NFL commentator)

ha, found it: http://www.espn.com/abcsports/mnf/sights_sounds/dmillerpreseason.html

(of course, it was a dolphins game)
2765027, I tune into Sunday Night Football sometimes for Collinsworth
Posted by pretentious username, Wed May-11-22 03:40 PM
For years I was annoyed by his voice and avoided his games, but now I think he notices things that most color commentators don’t and is, more often than not, proven right when the replay happens. I can’t stand when a commentator insists that one thing happened, and when the replay shows the complete opposite happened, they kinda just shrug it off.

Other than that though, nah. I don’t care about the commentators, and if they’re dumb or don’t have anything of substance to say, it’s definitely distracting.
2765028, shit pisses me off.
Posted by Cenario, Wed May-11-22 03:53 PM
I can’t stand when a commentator insists
>that one thing happened, and when the replay shows the
>complete opposite happened, they kinda just shrug it off.

i get that we are watching better angles then they are (although they do have monitors), but hearing them say some shit we know didn't happen and then they are just silent on the replay lol

2765036, RE: shit pisses me off.
Posted by pretentious username, Wed May-11-22 05:56 PM
> I can’t stand when a commentator insists
>>that one thing happened, and when the replay shows the
>>complete opposite happened, they kinda just shrug it off.
>
>i get that we are watching better angles then they are
>(although they do have monitors), but hearing them say some
>shit we know didn't happen and then they are just silent on
>the replay lol

Yeah, like we’re gonna forget what they JUST said about THAT specific play.

Plus, when a commentator acknowledges they were wrong, it makes me like them 10x more! Especially if they do it in a self-deprecating way. I feel like that’s more common on local baseball and basketball broadcasts. National commentators seem to have too much of an ego to be self-deprecating unless they have that kind of rapport with the other commentator.
2765090, I feel like JVG and Marc Jackson do that...or they'll call each other
Posted by Cenario, Thu May-12-22 11:27 AM
out in a playful way.

>Plus, when a commentator acknowledges they were wrong, it makes me like them 10x more! Especially if they do it in a self-deprecating way. I feel like that’s more common on local baseball and basketball broadcasts.
2765095, Yeah, they definitely do that
Posted by pretentious username, Thu May-12-22 12:38 PM
They have a few annoying habits, but they’re pretty fun together and admit when they’re wrong.
2765115, when instant replay shows the truth and they still double down
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu May-12-22 04:00 PM
I’m like okay.. these niggas really dont care about facts

or when there isn’t a foul and they say “he touched him so it was a good call” when replay clearly shows it wasn’t a foul.

2765034, basically...
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed May-11-22 04:44 PM
>commenting, i've definitely turned off games bc of it
>though...but ultimately, it was a game that wasn't holding my
>interest anyway.
2765029, the thing is people who nerd out about commentators/sideline reporters
Posted by 3xKrazy, Wed May-11-22 04:09 PM
are the same people who are gonna tune in and watch every single nfl game even if the world was burning right outside their window.

so to me this is like taking $350 mil and flushing it down the toilet. oh well.
2765091, agreed
Posted by Cenario, Thu May-12-22 11:28 AM
2765019, I used NFL games as a chance to listen to new music....
Posted by guru0509, Wed May-11-22 01:39 PM
back when i watched reg season nfl..considering each game takes about 4 hours thats 2-3 projects per game

had no idea commentary meant so much to ppl lol
2765021, LOL
Posted by Cenario, Wed May-11-22 02:25 PM
2765023, I can see it more for NBA games
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed May-11-22 02:50 PM
I’m actually entertained by some of the jokes and banter while watching a basketball game but football? Nah.. don’t care at all.

2765024, This is at least 50% of the reason I play sports games still
Posted by Nodima, Wed May-11-22 02:54 PM
I’d love to give the commentary a chance. They say they say in the booth for 200 hours and recorded 65,000 lines of dialogue this year. Nah. It’s all the same. Mute that, mute the menu music, queue up the podcasts/albums.

If it weren’t for NCAA/Madden roster importing I might’ve never spent nine hours a day listening to records in high school and actually met some girls lol.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
2765025, I'm kinda the same way
Posted by Lach, Wed May-11-22 03:08 PM
I'll be playing video games or something while the game is streamed on mute on my computer most of the time
2765031, we need an audio option without any commentary
Posted by will_5198, Wed May-11-22 04:32 PM
we have the technology

just the sounds of the game and crowd would be 99% sufficient and always an improvement
2765093, If you have a 5.1 surround sound system, I think you can
Posted by Jayson Willyams, Thu May-12-22 12:00 PM
Never been able to test myself, but the internet swears that you can unplug the center channel on a 5.1 surround sound setup and that will mute the commentary, leaving just the field/court noise.

That's the dream for me, personally. Other than Gary/Keith/Ron on Mets games, I want to mute every commentator alive.
2765035, i watched manningcast MNF games i wouldnt have otherwise
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed May-11-22 05:45 PM
so yeah i'll tune into a game i might not necessarily have watched just because Brady is on
2765124, manningcast isnt a typical broadcast though...its a show in of itself
Posted by 3xKrazy, Thu May-12-22 06:24 PM
so i dont think the comparison applies to brady's drab ass doing color commentary on a traditional broadcast
2765002, How awful was that 30 day retirement?
Posted by Ceej, Wed May-11-22 08:56 AM
2765007, He was literally just staring at the wall for a month
Posted by pretentious username, Wed May-11-22 10:24 AM
2765012, more like staring at his phone waiting for the Arians announcement
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed May-11-22 11:33 AM
people really thought it was a coincidence that BA retired right after Brady announced he was coming back.. lol.

nigga get gone.

prolly never even signed those retirement papers.. shits was still in his glove box at one of his stash houses
2765164, You know Rodgers is salivating
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri May-13-22 07:14 AM