Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectJai Opetaia is on the scene! AND NEW! 7-2-22 Weekend Highlights.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2764277&mesg_id=2769140
2769140, Jai Opetaia is on the scene! AND NEW! 7-2-22 Weekend Highlights.
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sun Jul-03-22 12:47 PM
Opetaia defeated Mairis Briedis in Australia for Briedis' IBF title. Briedis only previous defeated came at the hands of OLEKSANDR USYK. This was considered a HUGE upset (not to me tho, I actually put money on Opetaia. CH-CHING!)
Opetaia is a quick, sharp counter puncher with really good athleticism, especially for the Cruiserweight division. His athleticism was able to neutralize Briedis' experience and craftiness in many cases. The uppercut Opetaia landed in the 4th DAMN. Broke Briedis' nose and had him leaking the rest of the fight. By the 12, Opetaia couldn't close his mouth. His jaw was broken. Post fight, it was revealed that it had been broken since the 2nd round. The guy isn't just athletic but also has a helluva chin. He's a new force in the division.
-

Zolani Tete becomes champ AGAIN, this time at Super Bantamweight with a brutal 4th round stoppage of Jason Cunningham, who was on a really good streak. Tete's power has carried up in weight. I was actually happy for this dude. Way to redeem himself from the Casimero KO.
-

Issac Hardman delivers a KO of the Year candidate with his stoppage of Beau Hartas. What a punch. It's obvious why his alias is "The Headsplitter.
-

A woman I'd never heard of named Taylah Robertson fought on the Opetaia/Briedis undercard. 24 yr old who looks like she'll be a force in the Super Flyweight division. Looks to pick her shots very well.