Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectThe transfer portal and NIL deals. Is it getting out of control?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2764058
2764058, The transfer portal and NIL deals. Is it getting out of control?
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Fri Apr-29-22 07:25 AM
I'm seeing more and more situations similar to the situation below. I've never seen a college athlete be so transparent about transferring because of NIL money, but it's often an unspoken reason.

As a person who believes college athletes should get compensated fairly, I fully support this. Get all the money you can.

But as a fan, I hate this so much. Especially the instability and roster turnover. Bouncing from school to school chasing NIL money doesn't feel right.

I wish they'd drop the facade of amateurism that leads to this informal, wild west landscape of NIL deals. Just give these folks paid contracts.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/33823826/nil-agent-says-miami-hoops-star-isaiah-wong-enter-transfer-portal-nil-compensation-increased

Miami Hurricanes guard Isaiah Wong will enter the transfer portal on Friday if his name, image and likeness (NIL) compensation isn't increased, his NIL agent, Adam Papas of NEXT Sports Agency, told ESPN on Thursday.

"If Isaiah and his family don't feel that the NIL number meets their expectations they will be entering the transfer portal tomorrow, while maintaining his eligibility in the NBA draft and going through the draft process," Papas said.

"Isaiah would like to stay at Miami," Papas said. "He had a great season leading his team to the Elite Eight. He has seen what incoming Miami Hurricane basketball players are getting in NIL and would like his NIL to reflect that he was a team leader of an Elite Eight team."

Papas says he recently negotiated an NIL deal for Kansas State transfer Nijel Pack that included $800,000 over two years plus a car. Pack was considered the No. 1 player in the transfer portal before committing to Miami. The deal was funded by billionaire John Ruiz, who has been at the forefront of the NIL movement, orchestrating deals across several sports. Among them are deals with women's college basketball twins Haley and Hanna Cavinder -- who transferred from Fresno State to Miami -- and UCLA football transfers Caleb Johnson and Mitchell Agude.

Ruiz has 111 deals signed or pending with Hurricanes athletes to promote his companies, LifeWallet and Cigarette Racing, according to a report in the Miami Herald on Wednesday.

"Isaiah is under contract," Ruiz said in a text message to ESPN. "He has been treated by LifeWallet exceptionally well. If that is what he decides, I wish him well, however, I DO NOT renegotiate! I cannot disclose the amount, but what I can say is that he was treated very fairly."

2764059, So you want athletes to have leverage...
Posted by CyrenYoung, Fri Apr-29-22 07:36 AM
..but don't like it when they use said leverage?

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...
2764060, Exactly!
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Fri Apr-29-22 07:45 AM
Lol nah. I just wish it were more organized.

I don't know how to fix it. I just know this ain't it. It doesn't seem sustainable
2764061, Its early...
Posted by CyrenYoung, Fri Apr-29-22 08:12 AM
..things will eventually round into form.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...
2764062, It will need some time to get organized. There's currently a WIDE
Posted by soulfunk, Fri Apr-29-22 08:18 AM
gap in terms of how involved different schools are with helping athletes to get NIL deals. Some schools will are initially taking a very passive role, just reviewing deals for the athletes to ensure compliance, and some are actively helping them get connected to opportunities. Some schools let them use the school logo/names in ads, and some don't. I can get why that can be touchy, because the companies funding the deals could essentially get big university marketing by using the logos without going through the university and negotiation with the athletes.

All that being said, as schools see what others are doing, what works and what doesn't, what losses they have from transfers and recruiting, there will likely be more organization and consistency after a couple years. It's the wild west right now.
2764096, this
Posted by 3xKrazy, Fri Apr-29-22 04:22 PM
> It
>doesn't seem sustainable
2764259, They could always let the players unionize and collectively bargain.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon May-02-22 02:19 PM
Then the NCAA and the players' union could discuss hard money caps, acceptable NIL parameters, and so on. They could work together on finding a compromise that prevents expenses from spiraling out of control but allows players to fairly find ways to financially benefit from the worth they bring to the table.

But the NCAA will never, ever let the players unionize. So as long as the majority of the schools don't want that to happen? Fuck em. Get that money, kids.
2764063, The coaching portal is out of control. The transfer portal is a result.
Posted by Castro, Fri Apr-29-22 08:49 AM
2764480, facts. coaches sell you a bill of goods and you commit to a school and:
Posted by poetx, Wed May-04-22 10:28 PM
- school can rescind your scholly
- coach can be summarily fired
- coach can fuck up w/ ncaa and be banned (and bring down sanctions on you and your teammates)
- coach can come up on another gig and bounce for more money and greener pastures (which, for lots of players, results in the new regime coming in and cleaning out a lot of the old coach's players)

all of the above are completely outside of the players' control and directly impact their ability to play and even (*gasp*) complete their degree, should they be so inclined. and of course, yadda yadda, billion dollar industries.

fuck them schools. fuck them coaches. get money.

is it uncomfortable and uncertain for fans? fuck them too. fan investment in years and years of this uneven labor situation while driving up the value of the whole thing from a market perspective and making the moral inconsistencies more jarring has led to where we are now.

NIL is wild wild west right now. but so are / were boosters, on the low. more kids can 'eat', and this will probably exert some additional stipend pressure, too.

will kids fuck it up and make dumb decisions? abso-damn-lutely. kids are dumb (or more susceptible to the virus that causes dumbness). that will be blown up in proportion to the overall problem, because fans + papers + sports rags, but it's better than what came before it.

/soapbox.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad
2764064, I like NIL in general but this Miami kid is doing too much
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Fri Apr-29-22 08:52 AM
2764066, Actually, it’s helping college basketball. More kids are staying
Posted by allStah, Fri Apr-29-22 08:55 AM
in school in my opinion. That entire North Carolina starting lineup would
have entered the draft if NIL didn’t exist.

Bacot stock is high as hell. He is a junior and a double/double machine, and he
is returning. The NBA can wait because he is able to make money at NC, and
continue to go after a NCAA championship.

They just need to polish or reform the rule, where stuff like this can’t happen.
He is basically threatening the university, which has nothing to do with his NIL
deals. That is something that players achieve on their own through their agents,
friends, and families. So if he isn’t generating the revenue that some of his teammates
are generating, then that something he needs to take up with his management team,
not with the university.

The transfer portal should be for special situations, such as coaching changes,
,school violations, injuries, pandemics, and natural disasters. The one-time transfer
rule is bullshit. Simply allowing a player to transfer because he is unhappy due to personal reasons should not be permitted.

The problem isn’t the schools or the NCAA anymore. The business side of it all
is now the issue, where players now have to deal with agents, managers, and
financial advisors. That’s where it’s going to get really ugly.

And allowing schools to offer contracts to student athletes would be disastrous and
and make things worse. Players would threaten to sit out of games if their contracts aren’t improved or renegotiated.

The NIL is a good rule, because the NCAA is still able to administer
and manage college sports, and college athletes don’t have to starve or
violate NCAA rules to make money for themselves or families while being
committed to a college to play sports. It’s a win-win situation for all parties
involved. The rule just needs to be refined.

2764068, I love it.. NCAA football and basketball generate Billions
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Apr-29-22 09:03 AM
lmao at being concerned because these kids are finally getting a small piece of the pie.
2764070, there should be a transfer portal start and end date, annually.
Posted by will_5198, Fri Apr-29-22 09:22 AM
right now it is 24/7 and that is a detriment to everybody.
2764076, ^^
Posted by dillinjah, Fri Apr-29-22 10:04 AM
>right now it is 24/7 and that is a detriment to everybody.
2764082, There is an end date for instant eligibility in hoops, FWIW.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Apr-29-22 12:42 PM
If they enter the portal after May 1, they have to sit out a year. Maybe they can apply for a waiver, but that’s my understanding.

Which is why so many kids are entering right now. They don’t have to decide yet where they’re going, but if they wanna enter the portal as leverage, now’s the time.
2764074, Everyone else makes billions..
Posted by Kira, Fri Apr-29-22 09:53 AM
Vast majority of these athletes earning NIL deals won't sniff the major pro leagues anyways.

That quote is wild and definitely sets a precedent for team captains around the country demanding more compensation. About damn time athletes were compensated properly.

Does Title IX play a role in NIL deals now or in the future?

2764085, Not directly at this point, but I’d guess it will in
Posted by soulfunk, Fri Apr-29-22 01:26 PM
The future. The $$$ isn’t coming directly from the Universities. But where these is inquiry is with the University involvement in helping athletes get deals, and I’d guess they in the future they will need to be standardized somehow.

>Does Title IX play a role in NIL deals now or in the future?
2764086, Also, I think kids might stay in school even longer. The 4 year
Posted by allStah, Fri Apr-29-22 02:28 PM
college player will no longer be a rare thing, even for SOME standout players.

College/ Universities are corporations with their own big markets. North Carolina
Tar Heels are a bigger brand than the Sacramento Kings, so a big time college player
going to NC could possibly make the equivalent to a rookie player who plays
for a small market nba team, and definitely make more than a G league player.

Top draft pick Cade Cunningham’s nba salary was
10 million this season. Page Bueckers made over 1 million dollars just off her
social media following, and I think Shaq’s son caked about 5 million. The average
salary in the WNBA is like 150,000, and the avg rookie nba salary is what
around 2-4 million per year( guessing)?

College players are going to exhaust every bit of eligibility that they have to take
advantage of the national exposure and big markets that come with playing in
the NCAA to generate as much revenue as possible.

A lot of those kids will not even make it to the pros, so being the big guy on campus
will be seen as more lucrative than leaving school after 1-2 years to become
the new kid on the block on a rookie deal in a small market.That can wait.

2764162, I agree. Everybody wins.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Apr-30-22 11:45 AM
Players are more experienced, so there’s a better product.
The players themselves have reason to stay in college longer, to earn as much as they can til they graduate.
Teams that are doing well will be more inclined to stick around and try to keep winning, which will make them more money and endear them more to fans.

It’s just great across the board.
2764093, what an idiot
Posted by cgonz00cc, Fri Apr-29-22 03:20 PM
He might as well just start looking for opportunities in Europe now
2764163, Ruiz’s fault for shouting his NIL payments from the rooftops.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Apr-30-22 11:49 AM
If you’re Wong, and you made 100K through LifeWallet, and they announce loud and proud that they paid an incoming transfer from a sub-.500 team 800K, then hell yeah you’re going to renegotiate, lol.

This is why most companies don’t brag how much they’re paying when they announce new hires. Ruiz (and Miami) should’ve seen this coming.
2764172, all of them should've played it better
Posted by will_5198, Sat Apr-30-22 04:23 PM
there will be more discretion in regards to compensation by these companies moving forward

Wong and his agent should not have *publicly* said their pay-for-play demands, that's why they walked it back so quick

Wong also might have found out that other companies would not be thrilled to sign him to a new deal at another school, if he's going to threaten them out in the open once he's unhappy

2764179, It definitely should’ve been left out of the public forum.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sun May-01-22 04:51 AM
There’s undoubtedly countless players out there who (correctly imo) are taking the temperature and figuring out which school will assist in showing them financial appreciation, but they’re all doing it behind closed doors. I know a specific player that Duke fans are dying to get that Duke just isn’t fucking with specifically because they know it’s gonna be an NIL bidding war and they aren’t interested in that rn.

That’s the hardest thing about this right now— *no one* knows the worth of a player in NIL. So there’ll be a couple years where schools and companies will assess value while certain parties just overpay. Good for the kids who capitalize while they can, because after enough schools do million dollar NIL deals for returning kids who then don’t play well, I suspect those prices will go down for anyone who isn’t the most elite of the elite.

(I remember seeing the prices in that FBI case that people were paying for recruits and thinking, “… that’s it? that’s a bargain!” lol)
2764176, Michigan lost our starting PG to the portal today, so…
Posted by soulfunk, Sat Apr-30-22 09:07 PM
now I think the portal is trash. Gotta go back to the days when they played for the love of the game. And their school. And loooooooyalty. /s
2764182, I’m pro NIL but this kid is an asshole
Posted by Tiger Woods, Sun May-01-22 06:57 AM
2764261, If the NCAA had done the right thing this could have been wrapped up.....
Posted by blueeclipse, Mon May-02-22 02:51 PM
I hope the NCAA goes up in flames over this. Fuck them. They have been so biased and hypocritical over the years with their "punishment" and "sanctions" while they lined their pockets and the schools as well.

In every case the kids suffer.

If the NCAA had of just allowed these guys to be paid years ago they could have held off a lot of this NIL stuff for a while. They were getting paid anyway and the NCAA was ridiculous in how and who it decided to "punish" for it.
2764316, and when the system collapses into rubble
Posted by 3xKrazy, Tue May-03-22 01:53 PM
>I hope the NCAA goes up in flames over this. Fuck them.

is there a plan to rebuild it somehow and make it better?

i give zero fucks about the ncaa but i dont see how it's ultimately advantageous for the kids if college athletics gets blown off the map.
2764319, I don't think NIL directly affects the NCAA at all.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue May-03-22 02:10 PM
Since the money isn't coming directly from the schools, it's not directly costing the schools anything to make these payments. And since more players will be inclined to stay in school longer, the quality of play is likely to increase. (It'll never be as good as the NBA, but talented players staying and accruing more experience does generally line up with higher quality games.)

And with SAT scores going away and payments now done legally instead of through illegal wires and bagmen, they no longer have to go through as much of the stupid "vacating games/banning postseasons" horseshit (unless it's something truly egregious).

It's kind of the perfect thing for the NCAA, really. I highly doubt NIL will have a negative impact on college athletics as a whole. Most of the things people complain that NIL is making worse were already existing trends for college sports anyway.

The only "bad thing" that may happen for the NCAA is that fans will demand a "NIL cap." Which I'm fairly sure they can't legally implement-- and they wouldn't really attempt to implement as a result. But even then, I'm sure they'll just shrug their shoulders, say "sorry," and life will continue to go on.
2764322, There will be huge implications when the TV deals are up.....
Posted by blueeclipse, Tue May-03-22 02:39 PM
There's going to be even worse realignment than there is now. At that point just give us a real playoff. Fuck it.

The amateur athletics model can't survive this.

The transfer portal and recruiting alone will be a shit show.

The football programs might as well become their own entity at that point.

The ripple effect will hurt other sports because the football programs at most schools carry the ship.

The NCAA is lobbying congress to give them protections should any lawsuits come from future regulations. And they will.

They manage the funding of the entire college sports landscape. That is upwards of 20 billion dollars. They aren't trying to give any of that up and it will come back to bite them.

I'm happy for the athletes. But the NCAA is unsustainable as an organization unless they can accept letting this play out in a way where everyone wins but they're greedy fucks so they won't.
2764326, admittedly im looking at this more through a football lens
Posted by 3xKrazy, Tue May-03-22 02:59 PM
which doensn't share the same problem as bball in terms of enticing players to stay in school longer.

>have to go through as much of the stupid "vacating
>games/banning postseasons" horseshit (unless it's something
>truly egregious).

I thought this was pretty much done with in football at least. NCAA doesn't seem to have the power to enforce anything and there's no reason for athletic departments to cooperate.

>The only "bad thing" that may happen for the NCAA is that fans
>will demand a "NIL cap."

The fans can't demand anything obviously but they can start tuning out and finding other things to do on a sat afternoon (attendance numbers are already down). I wouldn't be all that happy right now as a pitt fan. And if mid tier schools become feeder programs for the elite then I think fan bases are going to lose interest really quick.
2764334, At least in MBB, this was already happening.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue May-03-22 03:41 PM

>And if mid tier schools become
>feeder programs for the elite then I think fan bases are going
>to lose interest really quick.

Many of the biggest name players were already going to the high-majors unless they were already upperclassmen-- so when you add an extra COVID year, numbers were bound to spike.

I think people also pretty grossly underestimate, at least in college basketball, how many mid-to-low-majors benefit from the transfer portal by snagging down transfer kids from high-majors. Basically any NCAA Tournament, when you look at the conference tournament winners from mid-to-low majors, you see a healthy volume of down transfers.

I also don't think the elite programs are just going to non-stop clean up on transfers like people tend to suggest. If you look at the top, say, 20-25 non-high-major transfers who've already committed to schools this year, there's a healthy diversity in their high-major destinations. Think there's a perception that loads of transfers want to just collect an NIL check to sit on the bench of a major title contending type of team... but the vast, vast majority of the best transfers want to play, and most of the biggest name schools just don't need minutes/roles filled like that due to how well they recruit.

The best mid-major transfers will go high-major, and plenty of high-major transfers will transfer down to mid-major. That's how it's always been, really-- the increase in transfer volume hasn't really changed a great mid-major up transfer's desire for televised spotlight and a high-major down transfer's desire for a larger role in the offense.

Or, to put it another way, last year was the first year of NIL and the transfer portal was the biggest it's ever been... and it was one of the most wide open seasons in terms of number of genuine Final Four contenders that I can recall. I think that trend will more often than not hold true.
2764511, yes people for real think the portal is 100% NIL deals
Posted by 3xKrazy, Thu May-05-22 10:23 AM
> Think
>there's a perception that loads of transfers want to just
>collect an NIL check to sit on the bench of a major title
>contending type of team... but the vast, vast majority of the
>best transfers want to play, and most of the biggest name
>schools just don't need minutes/roles filled like that due to
>how well they recruit.

which is obviously far from the case
2764516, attendance is down, but TV isnt
Posted by cgonz00cc, Thu May-05-22 11:00 AM
ppl still care about the games, but being at the stadium is fuckin miserable
2764563, yes people care and watch on tv but that isn't promised forever
Posted by 3xKrazy, Thu May-05-22 05:36 PM
the notion that cfb fans will never stray is part of the arrogance that has led to the worsening of the stadium experience.

if they let this spiral out of control the popularity of the sport will take a hit.
2764315, this jordan addison deal is about to ruffle some feathers
Posted by 3xKrazy, Tue May-03-22 01:49 PM
good to see lincoln riley building up that program the old fashioned way lol

watching sc media outlets/apologists try to spin this is quite funny.

it's the NCAA's fault that they've been a trash program for the past 30 years minus the carrol era when he was cheating his brains out. it's the ncaa's fault that sc has hired a steady carousel of incompetent losers since carrol left. and it's the ncaa's fault that the pac 12 involved themselves in such a horrible tv contract. it's all a conspiracy to keep that LA team away from their rightful place at the top.

The situation involving Pittsburgh wide receiver Jordan Addison and USC continues to evolve, with the Panthers star and 2021 Biletnikoff Award winner reportedly expected to enter the transfer portal and possibly land with the Trojans with a massive NIL-related pay day. 
“Because it’s only an issue when USC looks like they’ll benefit,” former USC star defender Su'a Cravens wrote. “There can be 0 evidence of tampering, but because USC is notoriously hated by all who aren’t from Cali, we have the usual target on our backs because they know how dangerous this LA team can be if we’re loaded!”
USC struggled getting back to its glory days, but the Trojans hope to get back to them under Lincoln Riley.
“It’s been the NCAA’s duty to ensure USC never reaches the same heights or carry the same momentum we carried from 2002-2009. It’s bad for everybody’s TV contracts if the #1 team in the nation only plays on the Pac-12 network and prime time games are 1 am for east coast viewers,” Cravens wrote. "... So the NCAA turns a blind eye to tampering and payment of players that decide to go south where the biggest TV contract is and where ESPN lives. They have no issue with padding their golden child conference but it’s an outrage if anyone west of Texas brings in too many big names.”

2764323, As a Pitt fan I’m mad.. but dude lost his QB, WR coach and his OC
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue May-03-22 02:43 PM
and the starting QB in the bowl game broke his collar bone on the first drive.

2764330, Slovis is fine...but we know it's not about that or his position coach
Posted by 3xKrazy, Tue May-03-22 03:02 PM
2764438, where'd you pull this from? Sua Cravens is a headcase
Posted by Tiger Woods, Wed May-04-22 11:23 AM
2764510, RE: where'd you pull this from? Sua Cravens is a headcase
Posted by 3xKrazy, Thu May-05-22 10:21 AM
https://247sports.com/Article/Jordan-Addison-transfer-news-Ex-USC-star-Sua-Cravens-weighs-in-on-Pittsburgh-WR-tampering-talks-187101247/
2765688, Nick Saban accuses Texas A&M football of being bought
Posted by Nodima, Thu May-19-22 03:58 AM
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/33942494/alabama-football-coach-nick-saban-says-texas-bought-every-player-questions-whether-current-nil-model-sustainable

"I mean, we were second in recruiting last year," Saban told the audience. "A&M was first. A&M bought every player on their team -- made a deal for name, image, likeness. We didn't buy one player. All right? But I don't know if we're gonna be able to sustain that in the future because more and more people are doing it. It's tough."

That prompted a stern response from Texas A&M coach Jimbo Fisher, a former Saban assistant, during his signing day news conference the following day when he said that coaches spreading rumors about deals promised to recruits were "clown acts" and "irresponsible as hell."

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
2765692, He sound so mad….
Posted by Dstl1, Thu May-19-22 07:06 AM
even speaking on Jackson State:
“Jackson State paid a guy a million dollars last year that was a really good Division I player to come to school. It was in the paper. They bragged about it. Nobody did anything about it," said Saban.
2765733, He may not be chillin' with Deion and the Aflac duck anytime soon...
Posted by Marbles, Thu May-19-22 02:45 PM

Bonus points for Aflac if they can get them both back and turn this whole issue into a commercial.
2765742, LOL i was trying to remember the saban/deion connection
Posted by 3xKrazy, Thu May-19-22 03:57 PM
it was in the back of my head and couldnt place it...but that was it.
2765694, He’s amassed generational wealth off of free labor
Posted by bentagain, Thu May-19-22 07:58 AM
Tell ‘em why you really mad Nick.

Understandable that the system will take time to perfect
But these old crusty YT dudes complaining about players getting paid for their work
While being paid millions…yeah FOH

Hope future recruits avoid people like Saban.
2765700, Saban mad he can’t hoard talent anymore
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu May-19-22 10:28 AM
these dudes are hilarious.
2765706, Jimbo Fisher went OFF today...
Posted by soulfunk, Thu May-19-22 12:15 PM
Wouldn't they both have dirt on each other from the LSU days?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/33945548/texas-football-coach-jimbo-fisher-rips-alabama-coach-nick-saban-nil-accusations-some-people-think-god

Texas A&M football coach Jimbo Fisher rips Alabama coach Nick Saban's NIL accusations: 'Some people think they're God'

Jimbo Fisher delivered a fiery rebuttal to Alabama coach Nick Saban's comments from Wednesday night that Texas A&M "bought every player" in its vaunted 2022 recruiting class, calling Saban's comments "despicable" numerous times in a quickly assembled 9½-minute news conference.

Fisher, who was visibly angry, said there was no truth to Saban's accusations.

"We never bought anybody," the Texas A&M coach said. "No rules are broken. Nothing was done wrong. It's a shame that you've got to sit here and defend 17-year-old kids and families and Texas A&M. Because we do things right. We're always going to do things right. We're always going to be here. We're doing a heck of a job."

Fisher seethed, obviously taking Saban's comments personally. And while he didn't name Saban, Fisher's response was similarly personal.

"It's despicable that a reputable head coach can come out and say this when he doesn't get his way," Fisher said. "The narcissist in him doesn't allow those things to happen. It's ridiculous when he's not on top."

Texas A&M signed five five-star prospects in the 2022 ESPN300, with 20 of them ranked in the top 150. The class is widely considered the top-rated group in the modern era of recruiting rankings. Fisher, who served as Saban's offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at LSU from 2000 to 2004, cast accusations of his own against Saban.

"Some people think they're God," Fisher said. "Go dig into how God did his deal. You may find out ... a lot of things you don't want to know. We build him up to be the czar of football. Go dig into his past, or anybody's that's ever coached with him. You can find out anything you want to find out, what he does and how he does it. It's despicable."

He said Saban had called him, but he hasn't answered.

"Not going to. We're done," said Fisher, comparing his time with Saban and his time as an assistant at Florida State under Bobby Bowden, before taking over as the Seminoles' head coach. "He's the greatest ever, huh? When you've got all the advantages, it's easy. ... You coach with people like Bobby Bowden and learn how to do things. You coach with other people and learn how not to do things. There's a reason, people, I ain't back and worked for . Don't want to be associated with him.

"You can call me anything you want to call me. You can't call me a cheat. I don't cheat and I don't lie. I learned that when I was a kid. If you did, your old man slapped you upside the head. Maybe somebody should have slapped him."

Saban said Wednesday night that Alabama players made $3 million "doing it the right way" last year and that only 25 players were able to leverage NIL opportunities.

"I mean, we were second in recruiting last year," Saban told a group of local business leaders. "A&M was first. A&M bought every player on their team -- made a deal for name, image, likeness. We didn't buy one player, all right? But I don't know if we're going to be able to sustain that in the future because more and more people are doing it. It's tough."

Fisher's response: "What's funny, in that talk, right before he said that about us? Wasn't he soliciting funds from the crowd?" he said. "It's amazing, isn't it? When you walk on water, I guess it don't matter."

Fisher was asked if it will be awkward seeing Saban next week in Destin, Florida, at SEC spring meetings or playing Alabama on Oct. 8 in Tuscaloosa.

"Awkward about what?" Fisher said. "I don't mind confrontation. Lived with it my whole life. Kind of like it myself. Backing away from it wasn't the way I was raised."

Thursday's news conference was reminiscent of Fisher's defense on signing day in February where Fisher went after an anonymous message board poster who used the handle "Sliced Bread" for claims that the Aggies had $30 million at their disposal in name, image and likeness funds, calling it a "joke."

Fisher said the claim was amplified by the media, a Notre Dame administrator and fellow SEC coaches for spreading rumors about deals promised to recruits, saying it was "insulting" and "irresponsible." Ole Miss coach Lane Kiffin said, "I joked the other day, 'Are they going to implement a luxury tax on Texas and Texas A&M?' I mean what they are paying the players is unbelievable, but it's legal."

On Thursday, Fisher lamented the need to continually defend his class: "It's disgusting what we're into right now," he said. "Especially by the people were throwing the darts who have no glass in their house. It's despicable for what it does for the sport."

Fisher hinted that Saban's comments this offseason about his hopes parity can return to college football were hypocritical based on the way he ran his own program with a huge staff of off-field analysts.

"The operations, the way things were done the other way when the 'parity' was there?" Fisher asked "Never had been parity. Certain people never follow the rules anyway."

Obviously there's going to be a lot of chatter between now and Oct. 8, when Fisher and Saban meet.

"You know exactly what he's about. My dad always told me this: When people show you who they are, believe them. He's showing you who he is."
2765756, the lady doth protest too much
Posted by 3xKrazy, Thu May-19-22 07:13 PM
just ignore the comments and keep it moving.

trying to spin this into insulting the 17 year old kids and their families is pretty funny.

2765718, lmao! imagine Saban and ALABAMA fixing their faces
Posted by will_5198, Thu May-19-22 01:14 PM
to say they have never paid for players. alabama! good lord, this mfer really saying whatever bullshit comes to mind in his old age.
2765721, Do Bama boosters not have the money to compete?
Posted by calij81, Thu May-19-22 01:27 PM
Are kids just deciding that now that all the schools can pay them, they don’t want to be in Tuscaloosa?
2765723, the boosters at that meeting were prob looking around
Posted by will_5198, Thu May-19-22 01:38 PM
like, wtf is he talking about? we all gave $10 million last class too
2765743, saban is funny...remember when he complained about hurry up offenses?
Posted by 3xKrazy, Thu May-19-22 03:59 PM
and then a season later he was doing it better than everyone else.

will be the same shit here. he's gonna ante up and make everyone pay.
2765746, as a Bama fan, Nick wild for this shit.
Posted by tariqhu, Thu May-19-22 04:34 PM
2765786, Why wasn't the follow up question "Tell us what Saban was doing"
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Fri May-20-22 08:33 AM
Fisher is implying that Saban is grimy, "ask any of his assistants"

Well we got you here Jimbo. And you're in the talking mood. What kind of dirt is Saban into?
2765788, they know.. he isn’t going to spill it,just threw it out there
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri May-20-22 08:42 AM
and will let reporters dig if they want to..

but they won’t because it would turn CFB upside down.
2765745, Deion Sanders fires back at Nick Saban (CBS Sports swipe)
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Thu May-19-22 04:12 PM
I think Nick came after the wrong one.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/100-days-out-college-football-names-games-storylines-as-we-count-down-to-the-2022-season/

Deion Sanders fires back at Nick Saban after Alabama coach claimed Jackson State paid top recruit $1 million

The next commercial shoot with Nick Saban and Deion Sanders may be awkward

By David Cobb

Alabama coach Nick Saban set fire to college football's offseason on Wednesday night by flat-out claiming Texas A&M "bought" every player on its team through name, image and likeness (NIL) deals. However, the Aggies weren't the only ones in Saban's crosshairs during a nearly 7-minute, wide-ranging rant on NIL. Jackson State and coach Deion Sanders were also targeted when Saban said the Tigers paid a recruit seven figures to sign a National Letter of Intent.

"Jackson State paid a guy $1 million last year who was a really good Division I player to come to their school," said Saban. "It was in the paper, and they bragged about it. No one did anything about it."

Saban was likely referring to former Florida State commit Travis Hunter Jr. The No. 1 prospect in the 2022 recruiting class stunned the sport in December's Early Signing Period when he spurned the Seminoles and signed with Jackson State. The dollar amount would appear to stem from reports -- which have been refuted -- that Hunter earned $1 million through an NIL deal with Barstool Sports.

Regardless, the claim didn't sit well with Sanders, who quickly fired back on Twitter while teasing a longer response on Thursday.

"You best believe I will address that LIE Coach SABAN told tomorrow," Sanders wrote on Twitter. "I was & awakened by my son @ShedeurSanders that sent me the article stating that WE PAYED @TravisHunterJr a Million to play at @GoJSUTigersFB ! We as a PEOPLE don't have to pay our PEOPLE to play with our PEOPLE."

Not to be outdone by his coach, Hunter also took to Twitter to dispute the notion that he was paid seven figures to sign with the Tigers.

Saban and Sanders have shot commercials together recently, which could make their next encounter a bit awkward, especially since Saban was complimentary toward Sanders following Hunter's commitment.

"I have a lot of respect for Deion Sanders," Saban said at the time. "He's a good coach. He's a good guy, was a great player. Has got a great personality, and I enjoy doing commercials with him. But it's not for me to comment on who makes what decisions to go where based on what circumstances. He got a great player, and I think that's good for his program. I'm not really going to make any comments about what happened. I don't really know the background or the details of what happened there. But everybody has the right to make those choices and those decisions. That's why it's America. Everybody has freedom of choice. I'm happy for him that he got a great player."
2765755, I see Alabama and Saban still making yall mad
Posted by ne_atl, Thu May-19-22 06:24 PM
I'm here for it. Stay mad

...back to lurking
2765781, Saban knows what he's doing. He's smart.
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Fri May-20-22 07:27 AM
The only way to get some sort of regulations for NIL was for someone super prominent to say the quiet part out loud. Jimbo Fisher had an entertaining press conference but not once did he deny it. He used slick language like "nothing illegal under Texas law" but he never once denied the specific thing Saban called him out for. Saban is smart. It will get some movement going. Aint no way Texas A&M randomly got the best recruiting class IN HISTORY. No one is checking for Jimbo Fisher or A&M like that. Lmao
2765787, but is A&M breaking any rules?
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri May-20-22 08:40 AM
Saban sounds like a lil bitch

How dare someone else have the best recruiting class.

2765799, No because there are no rules to break
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Fri May-20-22 10:49 AM
That’s what Saban is bitching about. This shit is the wild Wild West out here and I know he isn’t the only coach salty about how this is going.
2765816, lmao.. you can’t tell me Bama was getting all these players
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri May-20-22 01:33 PM
without doing a lil dirt.

Saban mad at losing that advantage.
2765817, The dirt was done in and around a set of rules though.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Fri May-20-22 01:38 PM
If you know what you’re working with you can prepare for it. This shit, for these control freak college coaches, is just too much for some of em. It’s why you see Roy and K and Jay Wright just getting out of the game on the hoops side.
2765818, No. Now the current rule is that its the wild west
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Fri May-20-22 01:45 PM
>If you know what you’re working with you can prepare for
>it. This shit, for these control freak college coaches, is
>just too much for some of em. It’s why you see Roy and K and
>Jay Wright just getting out of the game on the hoops side.

Everyone is playing with that same playing field of it being the Wild West.

No mid tier schools are complaining about it like these big schools who were winning recruiting every year. Its the Rich schools who had to give up some of their wealth. Reminds of capitalism. Oh wait.

And yes the new system still is capitalism.
2765909, these rich schools can’t handcuff talent like they used to
Posted by legsdiamond, Sun May-22-22 08:07 AM
Now Saban is on some “I shouldn’t have singled anyone out and I feel bad about it. They won’t call me back”

foh you snitch
2765913, not seeing how any of this shifts the power away from the rich schools
Posted by 3xKrazy, Sun May-22-22 09:30 AM
the elite teams with the biggest bag are still gonna get the talent. the deals just go from under the table to in broad daylight.

yeah you had the jackson st. kid but that's always going to be an anomaly.

the Jordan Addison deal is going to be the more common situation and saban was right in the thick of that one.

these coaches are crotchety and dont like having to adapt. but the hierarchy of the cfb elite aint changing IMO. NC st. isn't suddenly going to be battling saban for recruits and transfer deals.
2765946, they will still get the best but they won’t hoard as much talent
Posted by legsdiamond, Sun May-22-22 07:31 PM
The Sabans and Dabo’s wouldn’t cry if it didn’t hurt them.

2765969, if bama isn't as deep then it would create more parity
Posted by 3xKrazy, Sun May-22-22 10:23 PM
>The Sabans and Dabo’s wouldn’t cry if it didn’t hurt
>them.

have any coaches come out and said this new system is a really good thing? genuine question.
2765784, Addison to SC
Posted by 3xKrazy, Fri May-20-22 07:37 AM
Fun
2766043, I genuinely wish Ohio State basketball operated like 90s/00 Kentucky did
Posted by guru0509, Mon May-23-22 05:23 PM

Just throw the bag at all the top kids, stack the deck and roll them out

>I'm seeing more and more situations similar to the situation
>below. I've never seen a college athlete be so transparent
>about transferring because of NIL money, but it's often an
>unspoken reason.
>
>As a person who believes college athletes should get
>compensated fairly, I fully support this. Get all the money
>you can.
>
>But as a fan, I hate this so much. Especially the instability
>and roster turnover. Bouncing from school to school chasing
>NIL money doesn't feel right.
>
>I wish they'd drop the facade of amateurism that leads to this
>informal, wild west landscape of NIL deals. Just give these
>folks paid contracts.
>
>
>https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/33823826/nil-agent-says-miami-hoops-star-isaiah-wong-enter-transfer-portal-nil-compensation-increased
>
>Miami Hurricanes guard Isaiah Wong will enter the transfer
>portal on Friday if his name, image and likeness (NIL)
>compensation isn't increased, his NIL agent, Adam Papas of
>NEXT Sports Agency, told ESPN on Thursday.
>
>"If Isaiah and his family don't feel that the NIL number meets
>their expectations they will be entering the transfer portal
>tomorrow, while maintaining his eligibility in the NBA draft
>and going through the draft process," Papas said.
>
>"Isaiah would like to stay at Miami," Papas said. "He had a
>great season leading his team to the Elite Eight. He has seen
>what incoming Miami Hurricane basketball players are getting
>in NIL and would like his NIL to reflect that he was a team
>leader of an Elite Eight team."
>
>Papas says he recently negotiated an NIL deal for Kansas State
>transfer Nijel Pack that included $800,000 over two years plus
>a car. Pack was considered the No. 1 player in the transfer
>portal before committing to Miami. The deal was funded by
>billionaire John Ruiz, who has been at the forefront of the
>NIL movement, orchestrating deals across several sports. Among
>them are deals with women's college basketball twins Haley and
>Hanna Cavinder -- who transferred from Fresno State to Miami
>-- and UCLA football transfers Caleb Johnson and Mitchell
>Agude.
>
>Ruiz has 111 deals signed or pending with Hurricanes athletes
>to promote his companies, LifeWallet and Cigarette Racing,
>according to a report in the Miami Herald on Wednesday.
>
>"Isaiah is under contract," Ruiz said in a text message to
>ESPN. "He has been treated by LifeWallet exceptionally well.
>If that is what he decides, I wish him well, however, I DO NOT
>renegotiate! I cannot disclose the amount, but what I can say
>is that he was treated very fairly."
>
>
>